01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision nvr questions about NAS, redundancy recording?

Chucky

Greetings,

I have NVR ( DS-7608NXI-I2/8P/S(C) ) at the office, but HDD (WD Purple 10TB PRO) is so loud, so im thinking to buy a Synology NAS which will be located in another room with this disk attached. Can this NVR work with NAS storage EXACTLY THE SAME as if disk would be SATA connected ? Additionaly, i would add some SSD (maybe WD Red SA500 2TB ) as "redundant disk" into NVR. I couldnt find much about redundant disk, but, if i add NAS disk as "primary" and SSD as redundant and, for example primary will be off for last 5 days, will this last 5 days be on "redundant" with all smart events etc like as if it was on primary ? What about exceptions, does "HDD failure" exception on NVR include NAS being off, or unreachable ? Will primary then sync with redundant after being "returned" ? What if redundant disk is bigger than primary, do redundant than contain "more days" than primary ?

Thanks.

Hi @Chucky

It is possible to set your NAS up as a Network HDD on the NVR (see p135/136 of the user manual) but I believe, from past discussions with customers and here on the forum, it is only possible to use the NetHDDs for storing event recordings and not continuous recording (but this might have changed on newer models like your NXI model).

Redundant recording can be configured on the NVR (see p59-60 of the user manual) alongside the primary recording, so when this option is selected the recordings will be duplicated on both the primary and redundant HDDs so that if one fails you still have access to the recordings.

Whichever HDD is bigger will be the disk that holds the most storage, so if the redundant HDD is larger you have more files held on that HDD for longer than the primary HDD.

Back