01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision PoC via these pre-existing cables?

jf1974

Hello, I wonder if anyone could provide some guidance?
I've gone to upgrade an old system which I thought was using RG59 and BNC connectors. I went for Hikvision PoC (DVR-IDS-7208HUHI-M2/PC) DVR and DS-2CE72KF3T-E cameras for ease as I thought it would save time and effort on rewiring. On going to fit the system it isn't RG59 at all, but looks like some 5 or 6 core cable, where it supplies power to the old cameras and the signal.

The old DVR has BNC's and it looks like a separate power feed. I've read that you can only use the Hikvision PoC with RG59 cable or baluns.

I attach a picture below of the camera end - is there anything I can do?
Do I need to use a DS-1H18 or something?

Thank you in advance.

Jon
IMG_0514.jpg

Hello, I wonder if anyone could provide some guidance?
I've gone to upgrade an old system which I thought was using RG59 and BNC connectors. I went for Hikvision PoC (DVR-IDS-7208HUHI-M2/PC) DVR and DS-2CE72KF3T-E cameras for ease as I thought it would save time and effort on rewiring. On going to fit the system it isn't RG59 at all, but looks like some 5 or 6 core cable, where it supplies power to the old cameras and the signal.

The old DVR has BNC's and it looks like a separate power feed. I've read that you can only use the Hikvision PoC with RG59 cable or baluns.

I attach a picture below of the camera end - is there anything I can do?
Do I need to use a DS-1H18 or something?

Thank you in advance.

Jon
View attachment 10425
I had a similar issue on an installation in November. Someone had previously replaced a faulty DVR with a Hikvision model and I was going to upgrade that system installing 8MP PoC and another Hikvision DVR. The existing DVR had RG59 terminated into it so all looked good initially... Then I opened a power supply and found that the RG59 was just a short patch; in the PSU the RG59 had been crimped onto screened multicore. There's not a chance I was going to risk that as this was a large house with the furthest run being around 80 metres. Just glad I opened the power supply before I put the price in. Some of the workmanship I come across beggars belief.

IMG_5909.jpeg

IMG_5943.jpeg

I feel slightly better that it isn't just me! The runs are no where need 80m, do you think I could get away with using the cabling that is there? Or will it simply not work?

I feel slightly better that it isn't just me! The runs are no where need 80m, do you think I could get away with using the cabling that is there? Or will it simply not work?
I just wouldn't risk it myself. All you could do is to try it. I'd temporarily replace the camera most distant from the DVR (hang it up don't even fix it initially) and connect that one new camera to your new DVR. If it doesn't work, you've wasted little time. If it does work, I'd still leave it 48 hours and check the recordings to see whether any interference or unacceptable noise presents itself before committing to installing the full system. If this is for a paying customer, maybe explain the situation and charge a small amount to cover your time to try out a camera on the existing cable, that you knock off the quoted price if it works and you go on to complete the installation. Of course you need to qualify in your quotation that the existing wiring and any issues arising from it's use fall outside the scope of your warranty.

edit: Also if you could get hold of a run of similar cable you could bench test it off site.

Back