01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

I want a camera for watching our bird feeders, for direct connection to TV/monitor - Does this exist?

downhiller

I have a spare 1080p monitor, and a bird feeder that I can't see from my desk. I'd like a USB camera that will connect to the monitor, receiving power from the monitor and streaming to the monitor. The monitor is a Dell U2415h (edit: it's actually a 1200p monitor, my bad), which the specs seem to tell me can output 4.5W on most of its USB ports, but 2A/10W on one of them.

It'd be awesome if the camera could have WiFi as well... but the direct-single-cable-connection-with-no-PC/etc-needed is what I crave most!

Thank you

Hi @downhiller

USB-powered cameras are not something manufactured by any of the professional brands we sell.

If you Google for "USB powered CCTV camera" you will see some cheap, consumer brand options that might be what you are looking for.

I haven't used this specifically - but have used other 'green-feathers' cabled network cameras - and they've been fairly good. Technology isn't the latest - but this might answer your needs. A wireless camera that doesn't need internet as it has it's own receiver, which you can buy with a hdmi convertor powered by USB - so if your monitor has HDMI this could be a good option. If you have the old yellow, red and white AV plugs on the back, you don't need the adapter. How do you plan on getting power to the camera? I think this has a range of about 20-30m depending on walls.

Bird Box & Wildlife Camera with Wireless Transmission

Back