01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

IP camera DIRECTLY connected to PC

Janos Mudri

Hi folks,

I'm trying to connect a trendnet IP cam DIRECTLY to my computer (btw it's working perfectly when connected through the router). I've used a static IP for the camera outside of the router dhcp range, with subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and 192.168.0.1 as a gateway. Used the same settings at the Ethernet/ipV4 panel. I did try either crossover and straight through ethernet cables. Any ideas what could be wrong?

Hi, did you ever resolve the problem as i am looking to connect a camera directly to my PC. Regards
Hi folks,

I'm trying to connect a trendnet IP cam DIRECTLY to my computer (btw it's working perfectly when connected through the router). I've used a static IP for the camera outside of the router dhcp range, with subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and 192.168.0.1 as a gateway. Used the same settings at the Ethernet/ipV4 panel. I did try either crossover and straight through ethernet cables. Any ideas what could be wrong?

Hey Guys

This isn't rocket science, your main problem would be the manual IP setting of the camera _and_ the computer, eg:

192.168.100.100 for the computer
192.168.100.101 for the camera

255.255.255.0 for the subnet

gateway and dns isn't needed

Like this you can access the camera by its IP adress (but I'm still asking myself, why you are doing this... ;) )

Hi, thanks for the reply Forinsec.
I'm putting a 20x ptz camera into my van in order to try a bit of night time wildlife filming.
Could you be a little bit more specific as it is rocket science if you haven't done it before lol
PS I'm sing an netgear router

lol, yeah sorry, if you never done it before...

Tell me a bit more about your equipment... The PTZ Kamera, will you power it from the car battery with 12 VDC?
Are you using a laptop to liveview and record, which camera model and which software do you plan to use?

Otherwise with my above IP settings, you should be able to open the webbrowser on the computer and put in the IP address of the camera, without using the router. But tell me more about the setup and the problems you're faceing...

lol, yeah sorry, if you never done it before...

Tell me a bit more about your equipment... The PTZ Kamera, will you power it from the car battery with 12 VDC?
Are you using a laptop to liveview and record, which camera model and which software do you plan to use?

Otherwise with my above IP settings, you should be able to open the webbrowser on the computer and put in the IP address of the camera, without using the router. But tell me more about the setup and the problems you're faceing...
Hi, I am powering the camera from an AC inverter and the software is Blue Iris, the camera is a CCTV Discover 20x zoom PTZ ip and yes I will be viewing and the recording directly from my laptop.

Regards JC

Back