01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

IP Conflict / Networking issues - two NVRs

Dav55

Hi

I need some help please.

I had a 16 CH Hik NVR working perfectly with a static IP (192.168.1.88) and the cameras connected to a Netgear Managed POE Switch (192.168.1.235) and the cameras having static IP’s (7 hik 192.168.1.92/93 etc and 1 Axis Camera). On the NVR under Camera Management I set the correct IP and all is good.

I have now connected a wireless bridge (might be irrelevant) and at the end of the bridge I've connected an 8CH Hik NVR (192.168.1.89) and 3 hik cameras connected directly to the NVR. Under Camera Management I set to Plug and Play and that works fine. (both sides of the bridge have a different static IP (192.168.1.20 and 21))

I had some problems connecting the bridge, and once I had got the two sides communicating, I then had problems knowing which were the Camera Cables and which was the Lan Cable. I resolved this by just trial and error and connecting the Lan ethernet (from the wireless bridge) into the camera port and cameras into the Lan – until I worked out which was the Lan. (I hope that makes sense ). Once the 8CH responded to a Ping from the network I knew that I had connected the Bridge to the Lan port on the NVR.

So – once the 8CH came online to the network (having sorted the bridge) the cameras connected to the POE switch wont connect and the 16CH only has the Axis Camera available (which is connected to a Cisco Unmanaged Switch – which connects the bridge)

I cant ping any of the cameras that are connected to the managed switch. The managed switch works fine and I can connect to it ok and ping it.

I have rebooted the router, POE switch, both NVRs but this hasn’t resolved the problem.

Common sense suggests that the problem is the Netgear Managed Switch, but I can log on to this fine. Could it be that the 2 NVRs are somehow fighting against each other?

Any help very much appreciated, apologies if the above is not clear, I am not sure exactly what is relevant and what isn’t!

thanks

David

Hi

I need some help please.

I had a 16 CH Hik NVR working perfectly with a static IP (192.168.1.88) and the cameras connected to a Netgear Managed POE Switch (192.168.1.235) and the cameras having static IP’s (7 hik 192.168.1.92/93 etc and 1 Axis Camera). On the NVR under Camera Management I set the correct IP and all is good.

I have now connected a wireless bridge (might be irrelevant) and at the end of the bridge I've connected an 8CH Hik NVR (192.168.1.89) and 3 hik cameras connected directly to the NVR. Under Camera Management I set to Plug and Play and that works fine. (both sides of the bridge have a different static IP (192.168.1.20 and 21))

I had some problems connecting the bridge, and once I had got the two sides communicating, I then had problems knowing which were the Camera Cables and which was the Lan Cable. I resolved this by just trial and error and connecting the Lan ethernet (from the wireless bridge) into the camera port and cameras into the Lan – until I worked out which was the Lan. (I hope that makes sense ). Once the 8CH responded to a Ping from the network I knew that I had connected the Bridge to the Lan port on the NVR.

So – once the 8CH came online to the network (having sorted the bridge) the cameras connected to the POE switch wont connect and the 16CH only has the Axis Camera available (which is connected to a Cisco Unmanaged Switch – which connects the bridge)

I cant ping any of the cameras that are connected to the managed switch. The managed switch works fine and I can connect to it ok and ping it.

I have rebooted the router, POE switch, both NVRs but this hasn’t resolved the problem.

Common sense suggests that the problem is the Netgear Managed Switch, but I can log on to this fine. Could it be that the 2 NVRs are somehow fighting against each other?

Any help very much appreciated, apologies if the above is not clear, I am not sure exactly what is relevant and what isn’t!

thanks

David
Hi David,
Could you sketch a diagram out and let us know the device model numbers?
How are you assigning the fixed IP addresses? Is it done by your router DHCP server or are you assigning them?
Is the wireless bridge using the router DHCP server for IP addressing?
Check your router logs and look for conflicts on the LAN side.

David

Hi

Please see the attached sketch - I hope this helps.

The Cameras shaded Red are the ones that have failed.

I can ping the Netgear Router - but not the cameras connected to it. THe Netgear seems to suggest that they are ok.

See Pic below

I assign IP to the device level and not Router level.
The logs don't indicate any conflicts.

I;m going to turn off the Nano Stations as my problems started when they came on to the network!

1645350663845.png

1645350620674.png

I;m going to turn off the Nano Stations as my problems started when they came on to the network!
David,
What model and version number of the ubiquiti nanostation are you using? Let me know what your router model is as well and how the router dhcp server is setup?

David

Hi.

Thanks.
The router is a standard bt hub. I don’t think I have changed any of the dhcp settings.

The nano station is loco 5ac

The router is a standard bt hub. I don’t think I have changed any of the dhcp settings.
Is it the BT smarthub, if so, what version?
I'll look at the nano station user manual.

Thank you so much.

It’s the latest smart hub, that has the digital voice connection. (Sorry I’m out at the moment)

I;m beginning to think that the Netgear must have somehow failed.

It is in a "hard to get to" area, so will need to get to it to test when the weather is better.

If anyone has any other suggestions then I'd be grateful for them

TIA

I;m beginning to think that the Netgear must have somehow failed.
Why do you think the router has failed?

When you setup the Nanostation bridge is the local end (connects back to the router via switch) set for Access Point PtP and in bridge mode? Is the remote end set for Station PtP in bridge mode.

Are the network sides of the bridges set to static or DHCP?

In most cases I dont assign static IP addresses to my network devices I setup the router to assign fixed IP addresses to the devices.

Thanks again for your continued efforts.

I was beginning to think that Netgear Switch had failed as everything that is connected to that switch has failed.

As for the Nanostation Bridges

This is Router Side

1645372498645.png

This is the “far” side

1645372522348.png

Hi

We have success.

I checked the SADP tool and the cameras were online. THey had defaulted to a xxx.xxx.254.x address.

I assume that when the bridge came on the 2nd NVR "grabbed" them and allocated an IP address to them. Not quite sure how or why, but I reset to DHCP and then allocated a static IP in the correct range.

All good now.

THank you David for your assistance

Hi

We have success.

I checked the SADP tool and the cameras were online. THey had defaulted to a xxx.xxx.254.x address.

I assume that when the bridge came on the 2nd NVR "grabbed" them and allocated an IP address to them. Not quite sure how or why, but I reset to DHCP and then allocated a static IP in the correct range.

All good now.

THank you David for your assistance
You are welcome.

Back