01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Is decoding limitation of NVR in play when Security company receives an alarm?

Marek

Hi,
I am about to connect DS-7732NXI-K4 to a remote alarm desk at a security company. The NVR should have plenty of upstream bandwidth to do so, however I am not sure if the decoding limit will be limiting or not. NVR will have 14 acu-sense cameras, we do not plan on using acu-sense on the NVR side.

- When the security company views the stream on their end is the decoding "slot" on NVR used?
- When I view the camera stream on Hik-connect is the decoding "slot" on NVR used?
- Should I update the NVR to something else?

Thanks for answer.

NVR Spec:
Decoding Capability:
AI on: 1-ch@12 MP (30 fps)/2-ch@8 MP (30 fps)/4-ch@4 MP (30 fps)/8-ch@1080p (30 fps)
AI off: 2-ch@12 MP (30 fps)/3-ch@8 MP (30 fps)/6-ch@4 MP (30 fps)/12-ch@1080p (30 fps)

And maybe different question, what would I gain by updating NVR to -I or -M model (except higher decoding capacity)?

- When the security company views the stream on their end is the decoding "slot" on NVR used?
No. They will just use a portion of the available 'outgoing bandwidth'
- When I view the camera stream on Hik-connect is the decoding "slot" on NVR used?
No. Just 'outgoing bandwidth'
- Should I update the NVR to something else?

And maybe different question, what would I gain by updating NVR to -I or -M model (except higher decoding capacity)?
Decoding capability is just what you can simultaneously view or playback on the locally connected monitor. It does not impact remote connections. Remote connection is limited to the number of users connected or the outgoing bandwidth limit.

You don't mention how many cameras you have connected and what model they are. Your decoding capability will be 'AI off' as if your cameras are AcuSense, you should be using the AcuSense AI in the camera and not the NVR. Unless you're permanently viewing all of your cameras on a locally connected monitor, decoding capability would be considered less important than the 'incoming bandwidth' figure. The number of cameras that can be connected to a recorder is limited by the total of the incoming bandwidth across all cameras the number of channels the NVR has, whichever is reached first. If you use 8MP/4K resolution cameras and/or want to record the cameras at high frame rates, that incoming bandwidth can be used up quickly (causing performance issues)

If you plan to use 4k/8MP cameras, or record at 25FPS I'd recommend the M series NVRs which have both increased decoding capacity and a higher incoming bandwidth than the other models (leaving plenty of wiggle room for future upgrades)

Thank you for great explanation!

There is no local monitor so no need for decoding, I was just overreacting...

It is 14x 2k/4MP Acusense G2 or G2H. And I will maybe update one to 5/6MP overlooking the parking area. There is no room/need for more or better because they are monitoring mostly halls, and parking area :)

Are there any other features that M or I line has and K doesn't?
I've read somewhere that the firmware on K is different but the post was a few years old.

Last edited:
Back