01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

iVMS-4200 iVMS 4200 (V3.8.0.4) Hanging on Windows 11?

BigAl

This has been ongoing for about 6 weeks now, ever since I purchased a new laptop with Windows 11 Home 64-bit Version installed.

I have another with Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version and there are no problems.
Like everybody I've scoured the internet for answers, and although some are experiencing the same problem, I haven't found an answer yet.
Once installed and I'm logged in, the program just hangs.

Attachments

• hangs.jpg
    hangs.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 414
Hi Guys,

After using IVMS-4200 Versions V3.8.1.4 and then V3.9.0.5 on my Windows 11 Pro computer, I have seen no issues on my end.

For reference, I am also running V3.0.5.7 of SADP which has also seen no issues.

Unfortunately, we don't have a Windows 11 Home device to test on.

Upvote 0
I received a reply from Hikvision on this today......

Dear Customer

This is an automated email to say that your case number: Hik-Case-UK-032XXXX has now been closed.

Should you have any further enquiries, please contact 'support at hikvision.com'

They did not even reply to the original question, no communication what so ever, is that what Hikvision call 'support'?

Upvote 0
Hi Tony

You have very much discovered what a few of us have discovered.
I reported it to Hikvision Technical on the 8th January, I received by return a Ticket Number,.....but I've heard absolutely zilch since.

Unfortunately typical Hikvision, when they don't know, they bury their head in the sand.
Don't hold your breath waiting for a result.
A small update from me.

I've been using IVMS Lite on my Windows 11 Home Laptop (IVMS 4200 hangs at trying to add a device) . but its rubbish. Even once it has actually bothered to start the lag is so severe that some cameras appear to frieze, they are fine on my desktop 11 Pro machine running IVMS 4200. The laptop is new and a good spec.

So, I decided to waste £120 on a Windows 11 upgrade from home to Pro - very quick and easy once I'd worked out how to buy the licence. Absolutely no change at all - yes I did try a restart and two older versions of IVMS 4200.

Its back to lite and looking for another CCTV system. Anyone have any suggestions I need 8 or 16 camera channels. I've emailed my supplier but I doubt they have any better ideas.

Tony

Upvote 0
Hi Tony,
I feel your pain, I sent my new windows 11 laptop back to hp, got another one, still sane problem persist.
Took the plunge and went back to windows 10, all working well and fast loading, no hanging at all, no freezing.
Don't waste your time on it, I did and just doesn't seem to work on hp windows 11 home.
Windows 10 home only remedy for me.
Jay

Upvote 0
A small update from me.

I've been using IVMS Lite on my Windows 11 Home Laptop (IVMS 4200 hangs at trying to add a device) . but its rubbish. Even once it has actually bothered to start the lag is so severe that some cameras appear to frieze, they are fine on my desktop 11 Pro machine running IVMS 4200. The laptop is new and a good spec.

So, I decided to waste £120 on a Windows 11 upgrade from home to Pro - very quick and easy once I'd worked out how to buy the licence. Absolutely no change at all - yes I did try a restart and two older versions of IVMS 4200.

Its back to lite and looking for another CCTV system. Anyone have any suggestions I need 8 or 16 camera channels. I've emailed my supplier but I doubt they have any better ideas.

Tony
Does your laptop use an Intel or AMD CPU please?
Just trying to narrow the problem / identify why you experienced problems even after upgrading to Windows 11 Pro.

Upvote 0
Does your laptop use an Intel or AMD CPU please?
Just trying to narrow the problem / identify why you experienced problems even after upgrading to Windows 11 Pro.
Hi Phil

The laptop ( which started life as a Windows 11 home machine which I just upgraded to Pro is an HP Pavilion AMD Ryzen 5 Renoir 7nm.

I don't have any other Ryzen machines to test on, only Intel.

I'm convinced the problem is W11 Home as others have reported and that the migration from home to Pro does not leave the machine quite like a native Pro build. Or it could be an HP Pavilion problem.

I wonder what the difference between 4200 lite that works, and the versions that don't.

My Hikvision partner is doing his best but is now down to suggesting a firmware upgrade for the DVR. I think he's grasping at straws, but I'll give it a go.

Tony

Upvote 0
I wonder if anybody has iVMS-4200 working on a Windows 11 machine with an AMD CPU?
(I guess it'll need to be W11 Pro too)

Upvote 0
I wonder if anyone knows what the difference is between a machine running Windows 11 Pro out of the box (appears to work) and a home machine that has been upgraded (does not work).

BTW, at the suggestion of the support person from Freshdesk I have upgraded the firmware on the DVR as there was a likely mismatch.

No change. :-(

All things considered I want to replace my Hik Vision system. The Kit is good, the software is poor, and I'm afraid Hik Vision like Huawei is not a supplier I want to deal with any more. Anyone like to make a suggestion?

Tony

Upvote 0
All things considered I want to replace my Hik Vision system. The Kit is good, the software is poor, and I'm afraid Hik Vision like Huawei is not a supplier I want to deal with any more. Anyone like to make a suggestion?
I decided to take that to a new thread (see below).
I would like to try to get to the bottom of the iVMS-4200 / Windows 11 issues via this thread eventually ;)

Upvote 0
I have had another email from Hikvision today regarding this issue, despite being emailed to say that the case was closed.

Maybe they read this forum!!

Anyway, today's reply from a 'Technical Support Engineer' is:

Dear Customer

Apologies for the late reply with this case, to improve the technical department we're currently going through the old cases.

If you still require assistance with this situation, Please make sure the anti-virus on the computer isn't blocking some components from running correctly

If it still occurs, go to C://Program Files> IVMS 4200 site > IVMS 4200 Client > Client > Runinwin32

Copy the multimediacomm.dll and put this in

C://Program Files> IVMS 4200 site > IVMS 4200 client > Client > IVMS-4200 Video.C

I have yet to try this fix, but just looking at it, I wonder if the very last bit 'Video.C' is correct.

Upvote 0
I have had another email from Hikvision today regarding this issue, despite being emailed to say that the case was closed.

Dear Customer

Apologies for the late reply with this case, to improve the technical department we're currently going through the old cases.

If you still require assistance with this situation, Please make sure the anti-virus on the computer isn't blocking some components from running correctly

If it still occurs, go to C://Program Files> IVMS 4200 site > IVMS 4200 Client > Client > Runinwin32

C://Program Files> IVMS 4200 site > IVMS 4200 client > Client > IVMS-4200 Video.C

I have yet to try this fix, but just looking at it, I wonder if the very last bit 'Video.C' is correct.

Dear Customer

Already tried this back in January, didn't work for me.

Attachments

• IVMS 4200 No live view or playback Also Crashing.docx
    116.6 KB · Views: 247
Upvote 0
One suggestion I have is to try running iVMS 4200 in compatibility mode. Right-click on the program's shortcut, go to "Properties," and under the "Compatibility" tab, you can choose to run it in compatibility mode for Windows 10. This sometimes helps with compatibility problems.

Upvote 0
Hello VialeTordis
Thank you for your suggestion. I'm 99% sure that along the line somewhere I did try compatibility mode as well as running as administrator. No change.
So as it stands I am running IVMS4200 - Lite on my Windows 11 Laptop (bought as Home edition and upgraded). This is a reasonably high spec new laptop.
At first I was very disapointed with the Lite version as its performance was poor.
However -
I decided to move everything I could away from WiFI to Ethernet using cables (laptop, PC, CCTV, NAS box, sky and TV) . This has made a good improvement to everything not just the CCTV. I'm running 11 cameras (8 hikvision coax and 3 Tapo IP cameras).

On my previous postings I had said I was looking for an alternative to HikVision. I have now found a possible replacement which I have tested. I already have a Synology NAS box which I use for backups and this now includes a free Synology Surveillance Client which is very powerful with lots of features. Whilst the HikVision system supports both CoaX and IP cameras the synology system only supports IP cameras. However the Tapo Cameras I am using are only around £20 each and have pan and tilt. The downside to the Synology system (and the reason I have not switched) is that you only get two camera licences included for free and have to buy others, unless you get Synology cameras, but these are about £250 each - but very good.

At some point (money and time is the constraint) I shall give up with Hikvision and move to Synology.

The tip I will give anyone is to use cables where you can rather than wireless. When I worked in IT one of my mottos was " you can't beat a bit of wire!".

Upvote 0
One suggestion I have is to try running iVMS 4200 in compatibility mode. Right-click on the program's shortcut, go to "Properties," and under the "Compatibility" tab, you can choose to run it in compatibility mode for Windows 10. This sometimes helps with compatibility problems.
Additionally, make sure you have all the latest updates and drivers installed for your Windows 11 system. Sometimes, updates can resolve compatibility issues.
If you're considering rolling back to Windows 10, you can follow the instructions on windows 10 pro key to obtain a valid Windows 10 key. Just ensure that you have a backup of your data before making any significant changes to your operating system.

Upvote 0
With a bit of time on my hands this morning, I thought that I'd give iVMS4200 another go.

So I downloaded the latest version (v3.10.0.5) from the UK website, installed it, and bingo, it works.

I have been running 'Lite' for over a year.

Upvote 0
A slight potential warning on this topic for people in the UK - I mistakenly downloaded the latest iVMS version from the Hikvision Global site when "Global EN" was selected (V3.10.6_E). It installed (on Windows 11 Pro) but as soon as live view starts the DecodeProcess.exe used 100% of CPU and it pretty much kills the PC. I could not even start Task Manager to kill it, I had to just reboot. Tried a few times and always the same...

I had to completely uninstall and re-install the latest version from HikVision site when "UK&IE EN" is selected (V3.10.5_E)

Not sure why iVMS versions are so fussy and problematic.

Anyone else in UK running 3.10.0.6 successfully?

Upvote 0
Back