01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Kinda stuck with a 2CD2012WD-1 firmware upgrade

Jan J

Centurion!
Trusted Member
I've got my 12mm camera: 2CD2012WD-1, and it came with WAY OLD firmware 5.2 or so... (Password is 12345 !! That Old!)
Anyway, went to Hikvision-US and downloaded latest, and all older firmware versions I could find... and stared Upgrading firmware...
Got to
V5.4.5 build 170123 in 3 steps without a hitch.. Fantastic, but I'm not done!

Then I tried upgrading to the "LATEST FIRMWARE" from factory site: IPC_R6_EN_STD_5.5.82_190220

Update fails... Download and extract again... Fails...

Now I'm guessing that either: latest firmware linked is incorrect, or, there is another version in between the two I listed, preventing the 'latest firmware' from updating...
It does say at site that you cannot skip updates...

Can you folks kindly do a check on firmware for this model provide a link for this missing firmware, if one exists in between 5.4.5 and 5.5.82, or a more correct 5.5.82, or whatever is current?

Thank you (This is the camera I eventually want to swap lenses with my 2042 camera, but I'd like to update this to most current firmware, even if it is way old and obsolete)..

Hi @Jan J

The firmware you are trying to install on this camera is not compatible with this model, the R6 firmware you are trying to use is for 2x22FWD/2x42FWD models.

Your 2012WD model would use an R0 firmware which is for 2x12WD/2x32WD models, the latest R0 firmware is v5.4.800 but as you are running a very old firmware we would recommend updating through each version to avoid any issues that might arise from jumping too many versions in one go.

Thank You, Dan... Yes, 5.4.800 build 210813 has been installed...
I had installed all the prior versions mentioned in that link already.... The USA site makes no reference to 5.4.8. That reference I posted to the R6 firmware was direct from the HikVision USA site!!!
Now you know why I hang out here!!!

So is that the latest, Final firmware?

Hi @Jan J

Yeah, Hikvision is well known for its poor communication and confusion around firmware.

v5.4.800 is the latest firmware and as the R0 camera range is now a long EOL range this will likely be the last firmware update, I believe this v5.4.800 firmware was only released last year as a response to this security issue:

Fantastic! Now If I can find firmware for 2CD4042WD-1 cameras for last year's security issue.... I'd be happy!!
Those are presently at: 5.5.53 Build 180730 or 5.5.58 Build190909
Nothing on this side of pond... Emails to USA were not replied to...
In your bag of Tricks, do you have one for a 2CD2042WD-1 as well?
Thanks Again!

Last edited:
PS. I did hear from HiKvision USA, (I passed along the information that the firmware they list SS “Latest” for 2SC2042WD-1 camera is not for that camera)….
But as usual, the are not being helpful.

Hi @Jan J

Hikvision won't usually provide much information to end-users unless you can verify buying your equipment from an authorised seller.

In regards to firmware for the 2042WD-I, I think in this case this model is unlikely to receive a patch firmware. Hikvision did state when this issue first appeared that not all models were affected so given how long it has been since the majority of patch firmwares were released I can only think that this model does not require one.

Thanks. That was what I was up against in emails. I surmised as much on firmware too.
Fortunately the firewall has cameras isolated and denied internet access. All contact is via synology apps. That is except for my one 2012 model, that became the donor lens for a 2042.
Testing that on tripod on porch looking downhill. Focus nice.

With all the Negative things that have occurred between HiKVision USA and myself in the years: (Not one bit of information was ever passed by them! THIS SITE, has been an instructional and completely Helpful site!

Reactions: Dan
Back