01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Mini Dome 4k Cloud storage?

F05te-801384

Hi all,

Just got my Mini Dome 4k (DS-2CD2583G2-IS) installed on my canalboat, very happy with the quality and the fact, that I'm on a mobile router with a SIM card and no issues with a connection at all. I have tested with a 5G antenna and got a full 4k feed on mobile devices outside of the home network, which is amazing.

The only thing that bothers me is that I was expecting to have some cloud storage options within settings, like Google Drive or Dropbox, but have only the Cloud 1.0 and Cloud 2.0 options.

Screenshot 2024-09-05 at 18.04.23.png

Can please anyone help me with the options I can use for cloud storage, how can I get the footages saved?
I have a 512GB memory card installed, this gives me about 2 weeks of recording with motion set at 20%, but I do prefer to have a longer timeframe saved somehow.

The use of an NVR is out of the question, saving the energy on the boat is my priority, the camera is connected to a 12v supply and uses just about nothing, so I don't want to run anything from 240v socket, especially in the winter.

Hi @F05te-801384 -I'm afraid that the Cloud 1.0 and 2.0 options are a case of Hikvision naming a feature in a misleading way...

This won't actually allow you to save footage to a third party cloud storage service like Google Drive / Dropbox.

It's actually just a way to link the camera (or NVR) to a different NVR to act as a remote storage server. Dan explains it in more detail here:

So, your best option to increase the storage capacity is to upgrade the microSD card to something larger - you can even get 1TB cards now:

So, your best option to increase the storage capacity is to upgrade the microSD card to something larger - you can even get 1TB cards now
@Kyle - will the cameras support the full capacity of these cards? Over the years the camera data sheets have shown 128GB, 256GB and now 512GB. I was wondering whether the cards with larger capacity (than supported according to data sheet) can be used without issue.

Looking at the Sandisk website, the only cards they [Western Digital] recommend for security cameras are the 'High Endurance' and 'Max Endurance' which are available up to 512GB and 256GB respectively.

Last edited:
IIRC we have tested up to 512MB microSD cards here at use-IP with Hikvision cameras.

BTW WD say that 2TB microSD cards are imminent "this Summer".

And 4TB in 2025 - mind blown!!
Hopefully that'll bring the cost of the 512GB and 1TB cards down a bit. Standalone cameras with 24/7 recording and reasonable retention times are finally achievable. We just need those cards to be less than the cost of an NVR!

@Kyle - will the cameras support the full capacity of these cards?
As Phil says, we haven't had a chance to test yet, but if I can get an answer from Hik I'll come back and share it!
We haven't seen any documentation that states support beyond 512GB...

@F05te-801384. I wonder whether it would be possible/practical to ftp images from the camera. Dropbox and Google Drive don't look to support that but as a ham fisted Heath Robinson workaround....

• Friend/landlubber with NAS Drive
  • FTP server running on NAS Drive, listening port changed from default and port forwarded in the router
  • Capture settings on camera uploading event images or images at a specific interval via FTP
A static IP or Dynamic DNS would be needed for the connection.

Strangely I've just looked in a few of my cameras for the ftp settings. In the latest version of the DS-2CD2347G2H-IU G5 firmware, there doesn't appear to any configuration for FTP anymore. However in previous firmware and in the older models it can be configured. I'm not sure whether Hikvision have intentionally removed FTP from the cameras......

Back