01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

EZVIZ C8W reduce data usage?

zdenek

I installed a camera at our holiday home in Germany last month, the setup is as follows:
  • EZVIZ C8W Pro
  • TP-Link Archer MR600 4G router
  • Odido Data Only SIM card with 4GB mobile data
  • I do not use the EZVIZ Cloud service, only storage on the local MicroSD card.

In the app I set the viewing quality of the image to the lowest mode 'Standard' to save as much data as possible.

This seemed to work fine, we check on average once a day shortly to see if there has been any movement and that's it.

A lot of data has been used in recent days and I am looking for why so much data has been used and especially whether and how I can reduce data consumption.

See attached screenshot of the consumption.

I also have several Hikvision cameras at home and there are of course many more settings to reduce the data consumption.

Attachments

• ODIDO.jpg
    ODIDO.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 34
Hi @zdenek

Is the camera configured for continuous or event recording? If it is configured for event recording, then the higher data could just signify more event triggers/recordings captured.

Hi, it is configured for event recording. But Cloud service is off. I assumed the data is only stored to the local SD card to be viewed via de APP occasionally.

Hi @zdenek

Although you are recording to a local MicroSD card, to view the playback/recording remotely on the app the footage has to be uploaded over the internet to be viewed. if you watch the recordings for slightly longer on any particular day, this might be why you've seen a jump in data usage.

@zdenek
Could your remote access password be compromised?

From your image are those the total internet usage figures? Can you break it down to the inbound and outbound data figures?

David

I just checked the data usage over the last weeks and it has dramatically decreased to just 20-30mb for the days we occasionally check some movement videos, perfect!! Thank you for all the advice and tweaks.

Back