01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Need help with Hikvision NVR and Camera email notification

s0ul1984

Hi and thank you very much for taking your time to read my thread. I really respect your time that you spend trying to help me.

So my issue is this. I have two cameras from Hikvision. The model is DS-2CD2386G2-ISU/SL and I also have a NVR from Hikvision, model number DS-7608NI-K2 / 8P.

What I need help with is how to make cameras take the photo of who enters the area I marked and send it to my email. I am able to setup the NVR but the images are way too small and not very clear. Before I had nvr I got sharp images via email from both cameras.

I want cameras to record and store the recording on the NVR but the images should be send to my email from camera not the NVR. Is it possible? When I connected the Cameras to the NVR I did not touch anything in network -->advance settings -->email. I left everything as it was. Now when I click Test receiver I am getting a message saying this. The network getaway is not configured, and this may cause the failure of email sending. Does it mean I have to put NVR IP on the camera or what should I do?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi @s0ul1984

Have you connected the cameras directly to the NVR via the PoE ports in the back of it?

Hi @s0ul1984

Have you connected the cameras directly to the NVR via the PoE ports in the back of it?
Hi Kyle and thank you for coming to my thread again to help me. I really respect you that you take time to help us. Yes, I have done it. They're both connected to the NVR. What I am confused about is this. Can the NVR ONLY record the continue footage and everything else should come from the cameras. For example when I try to draw lines, the NVR does not allow me to. I guess it's because old version of NVR. It has these red squares. The camera on itself allows me to draw lines which is much better. Plus when I want to draw areas, in camera I click two times on mouse and the image becomes full screen. Like this I am allowed to make more accurate areas. The NVR does not allow me to. By the way, I am doing everything via pc, not tv. So the NVR is not connected via HDMI to TV. I'm going into NVR settings via IP address. The way I see it, my cameras have a much better and smarter interface than this NVR.

Hi @s0ul1984

Hi Kyle,

Hope you are well.

I have similar issue to original query.

I have 3 cameras, attached via independent POE switch on network, all three send great quality images on email directly from camera.

I have 2 more cameras, which are connected directly to NVR, which send images via NVR email setup, but, very poor in quality.

I tried setting up the cameras to send images directly but, it throws an error 'network gateway not configured'. I was wondering if there is any guidance available on how to configure it ? I have basic knowledge of networking but, haven't been able to set it up to work so far.

My idea is to set up all cameras to send images directly by passing NVR, to get high resolution images which are useful.

Regards

Hi @New2CCTV

Unfortunately, any email snapshots sent from the NVR are capped at a 352 x 240 resolution.

This limitation does not exist when being sent from the cameras directly, which is why they're much better on the 3 cameras connected to the PoE switch.

Setting them up on the cameras which are directly connected to your NVR will not work, as these are on the NVR's own internal network range and have no access to the internet.

So, your only option would be to connect these 2 cameras to a POE switch too and set up the email notifications on them just like you have on the other 3 cameras, I'm afraid.

Thank you for prompt reply Kyle.

I am now more inclined to use a spare poe switch.
It will help with email alerts and NVR can be located in a different location too along with option to access camera directly when needed.

Thanks once again.

Back