01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

NVR Frames per Second?

Keith Butler

Hi, On an NVR how do I calculate what max frames per second my NVR will record at? is it the bandwidth of the NVR divided by what ever the cameras are sending to it?

Hi @Keith Butler

As far as I am aware there is no calculation for the Max. fps that an NVR will support, the Max. fps information is usually stated on the NVRs datasheet and if not it will most likely only support up to the standard 25/30fps. (very few NVRs support greater fps because very few IP cameras have higher fps)

Some NVRs may support 25/30fps but only when using lower resolutions, so although the NVR may support 8MP/12MP cameras it may only support max. fps of 25/30 on 6MP/4MP cameras.

To know the exact fps specs of your NVR you would need to check the datasheet and/or contact the manufacturer.

The more recent K-series NVR datasheet does state the fps it supports.

2-ch @ 8 MP (25fps) / 4-ch @ 4MP (30fps) / 8-ch @ 1080p (30fps) - it is important to understand that this is the NVRs decoding capability which means this the number of streams at certain resolution/frame rate that the NVR can simultaneously live stream/playback, so if the NVR can decode 2 x 8MP cameras at 25fps it should be able to record 8 x 8MP streams at 25fps.

But as I say above it is also dependant on the camera models because although the key spec points for a camera might say supports up to 25/30fps this might only be at a lower resolution, so you need to check the camera specs before assuming that if the 8MP camera says max. 25fps and the NVR supports 8MP at 25fps that the camera will record 8MP at 25fps.

Thank you very much again Dan. However, I don't understand this bit;

"so if the NVR can decode 2 x 8MP cameras at 25fps it should be able to record 8 x 8MP streams at 25fps.".

Is that because the camera does the decoding for the recordings and the NVR just records the already decoded stream, or am I way off.

Hi @gp116126

apologies for the confusion, this is quite a complex thing to explain.

Decoding in the most simple terms is the NVRs process of partially uncompressing the cameras stream so that you can view its live view and playback in the full resolution you set in the camera settings. This decoding process is tough on the NVR hardware so most NVRs will have a decoding limit set so that you don't see any drop in the NVRs performance.

With the current generation of Hikvision NVRs the basic rule is that if it states it can record at 8MP and the NVR model supports up to 8-channels then you can record all 8-channels at 8MP because of the recording CODECs/Compression that the cameras use, but live view and playback will be limited by the NVRs decoding capability.

Thank you Dan. I get it now and appreiciate you taking the time explain in more detail.

Reactions: Dan
Back