01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Problems with time settings on my Hikvision NVR?

I have just read something about an NTP Server that appears to ensure the accuracy of the time and date. Is this something that I need to take a look at and what exactly is it?

Thanks again for all your efforts on this.
NTP keeps the time in sync with a servers time on the internet. If you go up my first post (#8 on this page) I posted a photo showing the settings in mine. It'll keep the time accurate - I thought you'd already set that up. However it's only keeping the time accurate for your NVR.

I can't work out how your cameras remain an hour out. If they're set up plug and play, they get their settings via the NVR. Something very simple is set incorrectly somewhere and if I were sat in front of it I'd see it straight away. All I can suggest is that you post screenshots of the relevant pages. I need to see the system settings page where the time is set up to start.

Thank you so much for your help. I'm not available for a day or so now but I will check everything again asap and will report back, with screenshots as necessary,

Hello

I registered on this website just to post my solution to the incorrect time issue, which I was also experiencing. My time, however, was out by about +7 hours!!

Obviously, everyone's setup is different. This may or may not help, but it's something else people can try while troubleshooting.

I have 2 Hikvision cameras (IPC-D140) connected to my Hikvision NVR (2TB NVR-108-A / 8P).

My two cameras have worked flawlessly with my NVR for years and the displayed times have always been correct, but due to recently changing a lot of things on my home network, I took the opportunity to factory reset both cameras and NVR and start from scratch.

My NVR & both cameras were all set to the following time config:
  • Time Zone: (GMT+00:00) Dublin, Edinburgh, London
  • NTP server address: uk.pool.ntp.org
  • NTP Port: 123
  • Interval: 60 minutes
  • DST Start Time: Mar, Last, Sun, 01
  • DST End Time: Oct, Last, Sun, 02
  • DST Bias: 60 min
Note that the web GUI pages for both my cameras have an NTP 'Test' button, but my NVR does not. I tested the cameras and they passed fine but I could not test the NVR as it had no button. I was using the web GUI via Microsoft Edge browser in Internet Explorer mode. I knew my time settings were correct and so I saved them and proceeded with the rest of the setup.

An hour or so later, I installed iVMS4200 and added everything via Online Devices on the Maintenance and Management page. Everything seemed to be going well, but then I noticed on the Main View page that the time on both cameras was out by about +7 hours.

I double checked the time settings for the cameras, this time using the Remote Configuration cog icon in iVMS4200. The time configuration settings were indeed correct and I saved them again. The correct time displayed again and everything seemed to be okay...

The following day, I checked the cameras again and they had again gone to +7 hours. Something else was going on here so I went through all the settings again.

I noticed on the NVR Network page, the Gateway Address (IPv4) and the DNS1 (or 'preferred' DNS server) fields were blank. I put my router IP in the Gateway Address field (in my case 192.168.1.1) and Google's public DNS IP in the DNS field (8.8.8.8).

Ta da! The correct time was displayed on both cameras once again and stayed that way.

So, my guess here is that when the NTP 'radio button' is selected on the NVR, it needs to resolve the NTP domain name to an IP address before it updates the Time Zone the user has selected. If my memory serves me correctly, Bangkok was the default time zone on my NVR after a factory reset, hence the +7 hour difference.

What I have learned here is that my cameras seem to prefer my NVR time settings over their own. I can't seem to find a setting to turn this off.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone

So, my guess here is that when the NTP 'radio button' is selected on the NVR, it needs to resolve the NTP domain name to an IP address before it updates the Time Zone the user has selected.
That's correct. the NVR must have a valid DNS server address in order to resolve the IP address of 'UK.POOL.NTP.ORG' into an IP address. Likewise, without a valid DNS address (preferably Google's) the NVR would fail to resolve the Hik-Connect server's address.

What I have learned here is that my cameras seem to prefer my NVR time settings over their own. I can't seem to find a setting to turn this off.
That's the way it should be if the cameras are connected to PoE ports of an NVR. When the cameras are connected to an NVR they're on a separate subnet (192.168.254.xxx) by default. They have no connection to the network that your NVR is connected to and no path to the internet so it doesn't matter what you set as NTP, Gateway, DNS or Time Zone in the camera - it should just be left alone for the NVR to handle.

Back