01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Re-configuring a TPLink CPE 210 point to point bridge

RobotSystems

I have an already installed TPLink CPE 210 point to point bridge that has been running forma couple of years for a CCTV system with 5 remote cameras linked back to the NVR via the Pt to Pt bridge - which was configured to the then existing network (pre fibre) , but now fibre has been installed and the router has changed, which has a NEW Gateway IP address. ObvHow do I re-configure the existing setup please to update the appropriate IP addresses? Is it a case of having to do a hard factory reset?? I sincerely hope not as that will mean getting ladders out...... Not too techy please with instructions.....!

I have an already installed TPLink CPE 210 point to point bridge that has been running forma couple of years for a CCTV system with 5 remote cameras linked back to the NVR via the Pt to Pt bridge - which was configured to the then existing network (pre fibre) , but now fibre has been installed and the router has changed, which has a NEW Gateway IP address. ObvHow do I re-configure the existing setup please to update the appropriate IP addresses? Is it a case of having to do a hard factory reset?? I sincerely hope not as that will mean getting ladders out...... Not too techy please with instructions.....!
I think we've exchanged messages a while ago, let me go through your earlier posts to refresh my memory.

Depending on your new router it may be possible to change the LAN IP subnet to match the old router. On the old network, did you use fixed IP addresses for the IPCCTV setup?

Good Afternoon David - thanks for replying and refreshing your memory from our earlier exchanges. Yes this is the same CCTV system, we sort of got to the bottom of the 'stuttering' issue - the NVR, although described as an 8 channel NVR, we fell into the trap of not reading the 'small print' and failing to realise that it would only support 4 High Def cameras due to the vagaries of the NVR decoding capabilities.

Unfortunately once the customer had seen the field of view of the High Res he was distinctly unhappy about the reduced scene when the stream was reduced enough to to stop the stuttering. He has just upgraded to fibre and we had said that if he changed to fibre we would see if things could be improved. This has now happened and I am having to refresh my memory as well - again being somewhat naive I hadn't really appreciated the complicating factor of the Pt to Point Bridge as well as everything else.

I understand the NVR tech is very slow in catching up with the development of camera capabilities. Indeed if things progress the customer has said they want to increase the numbers of cameras then Use-Ip have said that for 8 High Res cameras they recommend a 16 channel NVR, but if the new 8MP cameras are used then to increase the NVR to a 32 channel just to ensure the decoding capabilities are not overloaded!

In answer to your question - yes the cameras are all on fixed IPs, the Bridge is on fixed IPs - all in the network range 192.168.0.***
I am told the new router has a default gateway of 192.168.1.1 - it is a TalkTalk WiFi Hub. I haven't seen it as yet, I wanted to do as much prep as possible before getting onsite.

Good Afternoon David - thanks for replying and refreshing your memory from our earlier exchanges. Yes this is the same CCTV system, we sort of got to the bottom of the 'stuttering' issue - the NVR, although described as an 8 channel NVR, we fell into the trap of not reading the 'small print' and failing to realise that it would only support 4 High Def cameras due to the vagaries of the NVR decoding capabilities.

Unfortunately once the customer had seen the field of view of the High Res he was distinctly unhappy about the reduced scene when the stream was reduced enough to to stop the stuttering. He has just upgraded to fibre and we had said that if he changed to fibre we would see if things could be improved. This has now happened and I am having to refresh my memory as well - again being somewhat naive I hadn't really appreciated the complicating factor of the Pt to Point Bridge as well as everything else.

I understand the NVR tech is very slow in catching up with the development of camera capabilities. Indeed if things progress the customer has said they want to increase the numbers of cameras then Use-Ip have said that for 8 High Res cameras they recommend a 16 channel NVR, but if the new 8MP cameras are used then to increase the NVR to a 32 channel just to ensure the decoding capabilities are not overloaded!

In answer to your question - yes the cameras are all on fixed IPs, the Bridge is on fixed IPs - all in the network range 192.168.0.***
I am told the new router has a default gateway of 192.168.1.1 - it is a TalkTalk WiFi Hub. I haven't seen it as yet, I wanted to do as much prep as possible before getting onsite.
RobotSystems,

this is what I would do for a ISP router change.

note Hik-Connect app setups

From old router note or take pictures of the following

Is the ISP WAN public IP Address assigned by DHCP or static. Note subnet mask as well.

DHCP server IP address range.

Fixed (static) IP Addresses include device name and MAC address.

Port forwarding rules note IP Address, internal/ external port number ranges.

DDNS setup. URL, username, password.

New router

The ISP WAN interface should get a new public IP address from DHCP. If fixed IP is assigned add that to the WAN interface. Check subnet mask.

Assign fixed IP Addresses to LAN devices.

Add port forwarding rules

Setup DDNS, the DDNS will server may have to be updated to the new public IP Address

update browser urls
check hikconnect, ivms4200 etc

Good Afternoon David

Thanks for taking the time to set out the information in the reply.

My initial idea was to connect to the old router, on the old gateway, so that I could access all the cameras and change their IP addresses (192.168.0.***) to addresses that will be in the new router range (192.168.1.***) Obviously I will then lose those cameras on the NVR on the current setup. My plan was then to basically add them to the NVR as [per normal when the NVR was plugged into the new network (having done a factory reset on the NVR). However that is all dependent on reconfiguring the Pt to Pt bridge as the cameras rely on that for their connection to the router.

My query was re reassigning IP numbers to the Access and Client modules of the TPLink, (- which are currently configured to 192.168.0.200 and 201 - plus reconfiguring the links with the new network info as the Bridge was supplied pre-configured for the old Network. TPLink support pointed me towards a Youtube video of how to setup a Link straight out of the box - but my problem is the TPlink is already installed, one part 6m up on the side of the house and other 8 m up a post.

Good Afternoon David

Thanks for taking the time to set out the information in the reply.

My initial idea was to connect to the old router, on the old gateway, so that I could access all the cameras and change their IP addresses (192.168.0.***) to addresses that will be in the new router range (192.168.1.***) Obviously I will then lose those cameras on the NVR on the current setup. My plan was then to basically add them to the NVR as [per normal when the NVR was plugged into the new network (having done a factory reset on the NVR). However that is all dependent on reconfiguring the Pt to Pt bridge as the cameras rely on that for their connection to the router.

My query was re reassigning IP numbers to the Access and Client modules of the TPLink, (- which are currently configured to 192.168.0.200 and 201 - plus reconfiguring the links with the new network info as the Bridge was supplied pre-configured for the old Network. TPLink support pointed me towards a Youtube video of how to setup a Link straight out of the box - but my problem is the TPlink is already installed, one part 6m up on the side of the house and other 8 m up a post.
I assume that the PtP link and IPCCTV equipment all have DHCP disabled and fixed IP addresses. How is the existing router setup to handle these fixed IP's? Most ISP routers allow you to either assign fixed IP's within the DHCP server range or have a range if IP's within the subnet but outside the DHCP server range. I prefer to setup the DHCP server to register the fixed IP's within the range allocated to the DHCP server. What is the model number of the new router?
For the PtP there maybe a utility (similar to the Hikvision SADP tool) that allows you to assign the IP, gateway and subnet mask to each end of the link. I'll take a look at the manual. You could also setup a private subnet between a laptop and each radio to reconfigure the IP's. If you want to contact me direct my email is dwb5707@yahoo.co.uk.

SUCCESSFUL TRANSFER - Just in case anyone is faced with a similar situation this is what I did:
Old network 192.168.0.*** New Network 192.168.1.***
Connecting to the old network I used SADP to change all the camera IPs to IPs on the new network range.
I plugged the Hikvision NVR into the new router, then changed the appropriate gateway IPs. I also changed all the camera old IPs to the new network IPs (basically where the old camera IP was say *.*.0.72, I changed it to *.*.1.72) So the NVR was now populated with the cameras, but couldn't 'see' them because the TPLink was still on the old network.

The last thing I did was to locally connect to the Access Point TPLink (having disconnected it from the old network) and changed its IP to the appropriate one on the new network.
Then I locally connected to the other end of the TPLink and changed that IP to the new network.

I connected the TPLink Access Point to the new network router, stood back and crossed my fingers.

All the cameras came up :)

SUCCESSFUL TRANSFER - Just in case anyone is faced with a similar situation this is what I did:
Old network 192.168.0.*** New Network 192.168.1.***
Connecting to the old network I used SADP to change all the camera IPs to IPs on the new network range.
I plugged the Hikvision NVR into the new router, then changed the appropriate gateway IPs. I also changed all the camera old IPs to the new network IPs (basically where the old camera IP was say *.*.0.72, I changed it to *.*.1.72) So the NVR was now populated with the cameras, but couldn't 'see' them because the TPLink was still on the old network.

The last thing I did was to locally connect to the Access Point TPLink (having disconnected it from the old network) and changed its IP to the appropriate one on the new network.
Then I locally connected to the other end of the TPLink and changed that IP to the new network.

I connected the TPLink Access Point to the new network router, stood back and crossed my fingers.

All the cameras came up :)
Thank you for the update, glad to hear all went well.

Back