01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Can't connect to cameras connected to my Network switch?

mikesjunk

I changed modems to TPLink and I cant connect my cameras to my NVR. There are 4 cameras connected to a network switch which I can see with SADP when I plug into switch. But I cant connect to them from the with NVR.

I changed the camera IP address to 192.168.1.171->174 based on the new modem.
I noticed that the Hikvision NVR network config has this "Internal NIC IPv4 Address" 192.168.254.1
Is this supposed to be the IP addresses for the cameras connected to the switch?
Any help?

Which models of NVR and cameras?

192.168.254.x looks like the private addressing used on the NVRs built in PoE ports which, unless you specifically configure it, aren't accessible from anywhere else.

Are you trying to add your cameras via "Plug & Play" or via "IP Channel"?

I think Plug & Play only looks at the NVRs internal PoE ports. If your cameras are plugged into a seperate switch - not using the NVRs PoE ports - then you have to add them manually to the NVR via IP Channel.

Upvote 0
Hi,
The NVR is Hikvision Kepler 8-ch POE 4K NVR 8 Channel 8MP Plug & Play DS-7608.
The cameras are Hikvision DS-2CD23 series
As the 4 cameras are connected to network switch, they are not visible from the internal PoE ports so you are correct that I am manually adding them.
I have changed the cameras and NVR to 192.168.1.171->174 and used an IP gateway to 192.168.1.1
Im very confused but I never setup cameras on a network switch with NVR..

I feel like "Internal NIC IPv4 Address" 192.168.254.1 is for the network switch but Im not sure

Please help

Upvote 0
Hi @mikesjunk

Do you know the gateway IP address of your new TP-Link Modem? If you do can you confirm the first 3 digits? (e.g. 192.168.1.xxx)

If you don't know the gateway address you can follow these instructions to use command prompt to find the gateway address.

Upvote 0
Hi,

It certainly should work.

I have two sites with IP CCTV, the second of which has a DS-7604NI-K1/4P which is brand new (upgraded to latest firmware V4.72.109 build 230107) and two DS-2CD2146G2-ISU cameras.

Even though the NVR has four PoE ports on the back, I don't use them. Instead, I connect the main ethernet port on the back the NVR directly to one of the non PoE port on the site's 8 port TP Link Gigabit EasySmart switch (it has 4 normal and 4 PoE ports). I needed a PoE port for a TP-Link EAP 225 WiFi access point and that needed to be on the main network.

IP Cam 1.JPG

I then configure the NVR with a static IP address in the same range (technically on the same subnet) as that used by the router. You can use DHCP just as well, I just prefer to have my CCTV stuff on fixed IPs.

This is from my DS-7604NI-K1/4P:

IP Cam 2.JPG

I never use "standard default" home type IP addresses as you can see LOL.

Nothing wrong with them though so for yours instead of 192.168.20.10 you would put in 192.168.1.170 (if you want to use .170 for the NVR) or simply leave DHCP ticked.

If you are going to use static (fixed) IP addresses, ideally you should modify the DHCP range (or pool) so that your static addresses are "outside" of that. So for yours you would want to set the router to issues DHCP addresses 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.169. Sometimes this appears in the router as a start address and a "range". So for the same thing you would use start address of 192.168.1.2 and a range of 167 (169-2).

Then add the cameras manually under IP channel:

IP Cam 3.JPG

All of the addresses in my pics are internal so no risk in them being "seen". You have to get past my firewall first.

One thing - HikVision cameras normally come preset with a fixed IP addresses. Have you changed those on the cameras and verified that you can connect directly to the cameras from a PC via a web browser on your local network first? Just to make sure you can talk to them on the IP address you want to.

One other thing I found - if you plug them in to the PoE ports on the NVR first and get them working via Plug & Play, it configures them for the NVR internal IP range. To get them working NOT plugged into the NVR - such plugged in to an external PoE switch like I use - it is best to do a factory reset on them. Otherwise they will sit there using the IP address the NVR gave to them and not talk to anything.

On new HikVision cameras the first two things I do are:

1. Install an appropriate spec microSD card (typically 128GB).
2. Login to their web interface and configure them either for DHCP or, if I know what address I want them to use, configure them for that.

What you are trying to do should and DOES work. You just need to find out what's going amiss.
;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Back