01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Reolink POE system, what’s your thoughts?

Hi @mrrightfirsttime

If you purchase that system, you will have to change your name to mrwrongfirsttime :)

I'm no expert but the cameras in that system have 1/2.49" (=0.40") sensors and won't work well at night... 4K 8MP cameras are better equipped with larger sensors such as 1/1.2" (=0.83").

I would wait (holiday in UK today) and contact the administrators on this site for a solid recommendation.

Maybe Hikvision DS-7608NI/I2 NVR and DS-2CD2387G2-LU(C) 8MP ColorVu Fixed Turret Network Cameras?

In any case, do lots of research before you buy and you won't regret your first purchase (like someone I know :( )

With cameras you do get what you pay for - Reolink is a budget brand designed for the domestic market - and can be found prominently in places like Amazon. If something goes bang - it has to be replaced with another Reolink part. If you go for something like Hikvision - cameras can be sourced from multiple brands. Hikvision does have a budget brand called HiLook - which is head and shoulders above Reolink in my view, although not as good as Hikvision's main brand. For your budget you could achieve the following:

NVR - 8MP NVR-108MH-C-8P (B) 8 Channel NVR with 8 PoE Ports - HiLook by Hikvision - about £125 (Needs a hard drive)

Cameras - 2MP ColorVU IPC-T229H HiLook by Hikvision IP ColorVu 2MP 30m Turret Dome - about £75 a piece including mounting brackets

A 2tb Hard drive (surveillance quality) - £60

A roll of network cable, some connectors and an appropriate tool.

That should come all in to about £500.

Hi again...

Sorry for the bad joke... I couldn't resist.

Hikvision systems are more expensive than Reolink and would probably put you overbudget, but if you google "chasing MP Reolink" you will find things like:

Reolink is not very good equipment. The primary reason being that they play games to make the video "look good" day and night. This is really problematic at night because they slow the shutter, exposure time, down so low that any motion is a blur which renders the video useless. Any camera can be made to "look good" and maintain color at night if the shutter can be slowed far enough.

I've never had any Reolink equipment so I'm just going by what I have researched online. I'm happy with the Hikvision equipment I have but my requirements/expectations may be different than yours.

As I'm typing I see someone else may have a good recommendation for you...

Can you recommend anywhere to get these from, a load of these websites look a bit sus to me?
Before you order - do you have the tech skills and knowledge to set the system up? Or know someone with appropriate knowledge?

As much as I listed part numbers that suit your budget - they may not necessarily be the right cameras for your location.

For example - the cameras I mentioned come in two focal lengths, do you know which one you need ?

Have you considered available lighting on a 24 hour cycle? Does the council switch off the street lights?

Have you considered where you’re going to mount the cameras and how you’re going to cable them?

Do you know which cable to order?

Just want you to be sure you know what you’re doing before you do it.

You can spend £500 doing it yourself and end up with a disastrous system - as it doesn’t do ‘what you expected’ or you could pay a bit more have a pro come over and spec exactly what you need based on the location and your requirements.

I’m all good with installing the system, already ran some CAT cable a while ago and left it coiled up in a wiska box. I didn’t realise there was different distance cameras though, but it makes sense.

Anyone got any recommendations on best camera placement? I’ve put in where I planning to install but anyone got any other ideas, I’m going to have 4 to star off with and see how I get on before adding more if needed.

89102F13-775E-4EAA-846A-FEA639C006E0.jpeg

You can go wide with 2.8mm - see lots from one camera - but as you try to zoom in for detail, things that are still fairly close in real physical distance may not have the detail you want. 4mm is a little narrower, see a little more detail, but less in view. There are then varifocal cameras that can go to about 12mm that let you focus on particular areas. There are also ptz cameras or motor zoom cameras but are more expensive. What's the night time lighting situation across all 4 points? You might want to look at infra red range if pure darkness. My advice is don't mount the cameras too high, unless you want images of the tops of peoples heads when they get close to your property.

All Reolink stuff is aimed at the domestic DIY market through places like Amazon. Yes it'll probably work, but it's not something I'd ever consider. I don't think it's got the quality of other branded cameras - but it's all down to your budget and what you're trying to achieve. Just because something says it's 8MP 4k - doesn't mean it's any good.

Back