01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

RTSP permission denied - DS-7208HGHI-K1

tiger1975

Hi, after reading many posts and forums about how to get an RTSP video signal with DS-7208HGHI-K1, it seems like Hik-Connect Video Encryption is the main issue.

My devices and settings:
DVR Model: DS-7208HGHI-K1
Firmware: V4.30.203 build 210616
I have 6 cameras
I have the Hik-Connect Android app to watch cameras and playback working perfectly (with Video Encryption enabled). Some people recommend disabling this Video Encryption but I don't understand the implications of this after reading too many posts still confused. Is there any possibility of decrypting the video streaming in RTSP like Hik Connect does? I need to keep the Hik-Connect app working perfectly.
I can go to my Google Chrome and do http://192.168.0.225 and using my user+password I can log in perfectly (but I can't watch the cameras for some reason...)
DVR is connected in ethernet with my router on 192.168.0.225 and port 554. All cameras are wired to the DVR.
I am using a Notebook with Windows, VSCode, Python, and OpenCV in Wi-Fi 2.4GHz same router as DVR (but DVR is in ethernet)

What I tried:
1. Using Python code with OpenCV, I want to take the RTSP Video Streaming from my DS-7208HGHI-K1 (same network, 192.168.0.X, local) but it is not working. The same Python code works with other cameras and DVRs perfectly. I am capturing the RTSP Signal using cap = cv2.VideoCapture("rtsp://admin:password@192.168.0.225:554/Streaming/channels/101/") is not working, says "no frame".
2. Using my Google Chrome, going to http://192.168.0.225, and using my User+Password I can log in but I can't watch cameras, they are 100% gray.
3. Using Windows OS and going to Media Player (native app for video and music) when I use the RTSP protocol to watch the camera using "rtsp://admin:password@192.168.0.225:554/Streaming/channels/101/" it says "We can't open 101. You don't have permission to access the file."
4. I tried also using a BASE64 encoding like: http://192.168.0.225/ISAPI/Streaming/channels/102/httppreview?auth=My_BASE_64_Code= and it says error 4 Invalid Operation.
5. If I do in Google Chrome "http://192.168.0.225/ISAPI/Security/userCheck" it says:
<userCheck>
<statusValue>200</statusValue>
<statusString>OK</statusString>
<isDefaultPassword>false</isDefaultPassword>
<isRiskPassword>false</isRiskPassword>
<isActivated>true</isActivated>
</userCheck>
6. RTSP Authentication and Web is in Digest/Basic
7. Downloaded VLC Player and using rtsp://admin:password@192.168.0.225:554/Streaming/channels/101/ it shows a black screen with a "beep" sound continuously (without error)

I haven't tried it yet:
Someone recommended the Hik-Connect API to access and develop things. Is that paid or free? Any experience doing that? I prefer my own RTSP connection but if there is no possibility I will go for this.

Thanks!

Hi @tiger1975

This post should help, as it covers everything that will stop the RTSP stream working properly:

As you say, the main thing to do is to disable stream encryption on the NVR - we've never found a way to get it working with encryption enabled.
If you have a strong password set on the NVR and haven't opened any ports on your router, encryption isn't essential.

Hikvision don't make their APIs publicly available, unfortunately (not even to us).
Some manufacturers / VMS providers do, which is why someone may have recommended that to you.

Hi @Kyle , thanks for your answering and reading my issue.

About open ports: that's useful to make RTSP from a notebook that is not in the Router Network, right? For example, if I want to watch cameras with RTSP from my notebook from another network like a 4G signal. I ask this because now I am trying to connect RTSP from the same network (my notebook is in the same router as NVR) but I would like to do RTSP from outside of my router, then should I open port 554 right? is that dangerous? Could you help me to understand the implications?

I read many posts that recommended "RTSP Authentication" in Digest/Basic instead of only Digest. Could you help me to understand more about this option?

Last thing: Hik-Connect Integration I found this link, seems like an API to use Hik Connect information. Is that free? Any experience using that?

My goal will be to connect to NVR from an external notebook to watch cameras with RTSP. But first of all I want to accomplish something in LAN same network router.

Thanks!

No worries! In answer to your questions...

About open ports: that's useful to make RTSP from a notebook that is not in the Router Network, right? For example, if I want to watch cameras with RTSP from my notebook from another network like a 4G signal. I ask this because now I am trying to connect RTSP from the same network (my notebook is in the same router as NVR) but I would like to do RTSP from outside of my router, then should I open port 554 right? is that dangerous? Could you help me to understand the implications?
That's right - it's simpler to use Hik-Connect for viewing from a remote network, but forwarding the RTSP port will also let you get the RTSP stream remotely. The default port is 554, but it's recommended to change this in your device's port settings (under network settings) to prevent bots probing / repeatedly trying to connect.

I read many posts that recommended "RTSP Authentication" in Digest/Basic instead of only Digest. Could you help me to understand more about this option?
Sorry, my knowledge on this is really limited :(

Last thing: Hik-Connect Integration I found this link, seems like an API to use Hik Connect information. Is that free? Any experience using that?
I wasn't aware of that, good spot! We don't have any experience, but you can always apply for access. You may get some help from somebody else with more experience using the Hik-Connect API if you do get access and create a new thread about it or ask Hikvision.

Back