01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Security Camera at work

Brims

Hi all,

I'm totally new to all of this so i'm pretty much clueless.

We need to install a basic security camera at work. We don't have access to WIFI and run all of our IT on 3G dongles (we're in temporary offices and the data package on the dongles aren't great). We'd ideally like to connect the camera to an iPhone or laptop but are wary that using a dongle would exceed its data allowance and incur huge costs. We have considered a camera with local storage but don't want to have to review hours of footage or pay a bomb for the storage.

Any advice on what options we might be able to consider would be greatly appreciated!

Hi,
I'd guess that although your internet connection is via a 3G dongle you still have a router and network at work?
Just add the network camera(s) to that network (plug them into your router or switch).
You can record to a card in the camera, although if you are planning multiple cameras I'd recommend an NVR (which will also provide POE power to your cameras).
You'll only use data when you access the cameras from off-site.

Is the camera for indoors or outdoors?

I generally refer enquirers to these people for 3G/4G data solutions e.g. routers and SIMs / dongles suitable for good value data and ideally with a fixed IP address - 4G Router | 3G and 4G Router Solutions | M2M 3G & 4G Routers

Back