01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Setting the recording retention period for a Hikvision NVR?

CliveC

Does anyone know if Hikvision plan to build in a recording retention policy to their NVR products?
In some situations it is important to ensure data is only kept for as long as required and often covered by data retention policies.
I don't see a means for instance to remove recordings over a given number of days....

Hi @CliveC

This feature already exists, If you go to Storage > Storage Schedule > and click the Advanced button in the top corner of the schedule you will get the below pop-up with the box to choose how many days footage is held for.

Screenshot 2020-08-07 at 09.42.04.png

Hi Dan,
How do you set the number of days to record in this screen? I'm using a using a 250 GB memory for storage. At the moment it only records 3 days which is not really ideal

Thanks

record.PNG

okay, the reason you are only getting 3 days of recording is because of the size of your MicroSD card.

An 8MP camera on max. settings (e.g. full 8MP resolution, Highest video quality, and 25fps) will use a lot of storage.

For example, if you wanted to record one 8MP camera continuously for 7 working days using the above settings it would require 1TB of storage.

You can try reducing some of the stream settings to get more recordings, but this will probably only get you a few extra hours. If you want days worth of extra recording you will have to upgrade to a much larger MicroSD card or purchase an NVR & 1/2TB HDD.

Thanks Dan. Which hikvision NVR do you recommend for this camera?

Hi @cga

The 7604 NVRs are the quietest of the Hikvision NVR range as they don't have a case fan, but they do still have a PSU fan and if you are very close to the NVR you can sometimes hear the HDD spinning.

Reactions: cga
Will it be quieter than the wisenet

XRN-410S?​

I have one from work and it’s really very noisy

Looking at the pictures online it looks like the XRN-410S has a case fan, the 7604 does not have a case fan so should be quieter (but we haven't tested them side-by-side so can't say for sure).

Hi Dan

In your experience how will work a 2.5 inch HD attached to my ASUS router USB port for recording from the camera? Will that be an option or better off going for a NVR?

Hi @cga

We have never configured storage in this way, it might be possible to record to some form of network storage/HDD but you won't be able to record continuously to this storage.

Hi Dan,

I bought the NVR DS-7604NXI-K1/4P but it’s really very noisy to have in the bedroom
Anyway to improve the noise?

Thanks

Hi @cga

The 7604NXI model is more powerful than the standard 7604NI which you were asking about before, this means it needs extra cooling and does have a case fan which will increase the noise level.

The only way to reduce the noise level is to move the NVR to a more soundproof location or there are some threads here on the forum where users have installed their own quieter fans (but doing this will void the NVRs warranty).

Hi Dan,

Are you sure the 7604NI doesn't have a case fan? No cooling fan? Could you confirm please?

Back