01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Simple Question regarding HikVision NVR DS-7608NI-I2/8P

SteMac32

Hi ,

I've offered to set up a HikVision IP CCTV System for my sister who has started living by herself after a recent divorce. I'm fairly clued up in Electro Mechanical Engineering , however, my Networking skills are fairly basic.

The system is the above NVR with 6x 8mp ColorVu Network Turret Camera's ( DS-2CD2387G2-LU ) ( POE Hopefully ) and a 4mp ColorVu Network Motorised Bullet Camera ( DS-2CD2647G2-LZS ).

The first question is that i want to set this up at home first to test it all out............. would it cause any issues if i set up the NVR on my network ( so i can set up Hik Connect etc..) and connect and add all the camera's using the NVR GUI config ( i notice that the NVR has its own IP range ) then power it all down after a couple of days testing and take it over to my sisters to install on her network, would it be just as simple as disconnect my end and plug in and play her end? ( sorry for such a simple question for you experts ).

Second Question is regarding the motorised zoom bullet camera, this looks a chunky bit of kit, do i just need the POE cat5e cable connected to it for it to work or will i need other connections?

Thanks in advance for your time, its much appreciated.

Regards

Hi @SteMac32

The answers to your questions are below:

1st Question - this shouldn't be a problem, once you move the NVR to the new network you will need to change the NVR IP address to match the new local network IP range (or if you have DHCP enabled it should find a new address automatically, but DHCP should be disabled once the new address is found). If all the cameras are directly connected to the PoE ports on the NVR then they will be assigned addresses on the NVRs subnet address range and so as long as the cameras are reconnected to the same ports after moving the NVR they should just reconnect straight away.

2nd Question - the 2647G2 actually has a slightly larger power draw than the standard 15.4W of PoE and because you have so many other cameras using the NVRs PoE we would recommend connecting the camera to a more powerful 30W PoE+ Injector.

One other thing I should mention, from our testing of the 8MP AcuSense/ColorVu cameras we have found that they use a lot more bandwidth than older 8MP models, in some cases, they have used around 20Mbps each. The 7608NI-I2 NVR only supports up to 80Mbps incoming bandwidth so you may run into network issues if you try and connect all 6 x 2387G2 cameras to that NVR because they could be using as much 120Mbps just for those 6 cameras. If you are going to use this many 8MP AcuSense/ColorVu cameras we would usually recommend going up to the next size NVR - DS-7616NI-I2/16P - as that will support up to 160Mbps.

If you don't think you can easily replace/swap the 8ch NVR then your other option would be to reduce the resolution of the 8MP camera, use H.265 or H.265+, and reduce the frame rate (to around 10-15fps) to bring the bandwidth down or also you can set the bitrate to constant rather than variable and set the bandwidth/bitrate cap to somewhere around 8,000-10,000Kbps (8-10Mbps) to stop the bandwidth going so high, but this will also impact image quality/resolution.

Thanks Dan, this is amazing detailed information that helps me a lot.

Unfortunately I've already purchased the kit so i can't swap the NVR so if i drop the FPS to 15 on all camera's do you think that this will be enough to bring the bandwidth down to an acceptable level for the NVR or will it have to be a combination of your suggestions? Obviously I'm reluctant to reduce the res of the 8mp camera's if possible. Also, thanks for the feedback on the motorised zoom, I'll get one of the injectors ordered. I believe someone has stated somewhere on the forum that it can't sit inline between the NVR POE port and the motorised camera, if this is the case how would i connect it?

I'm setting up as we speak and i have another quick question, i have the NVR connected to a LG 4k TV with a high speed 4k HDMi cable, however, when i attempt to change the output on the NVR to 4k the screen just goes black and i have to wait for it to reset back to 1080p, i suspect this is a simple setting but can't seem to find it.

Again thanks in advance for your time and patience, it is very much appreciated.

Hi @SteMac32

You may need to do a combination of settings to get the bandwidth low enough as you basically need to half the bandwidth that the cameras use.

It should be possible to connect the PoE injector between the NVR and the camera, but you may need to connect the camera directly to the NVR initially for it to be activated and assigned an IP address and then put the injector in. If you do run into any issues you can connect the PoE injector directly to your router or a switch connected to the router.

I don't think we have seen the 4K issue you describe before, we have an I-series NVR as part of our demo system and it is running on a 4K monitor without any issues.

Are you changing the output resolution by going to System > General and selecting the HDMI Resolution?
Does your TV have a specific 4K HDMI input?
What firmware version is the NVR currently running?

Thanks Dan,

Yes its strange as I'm changing the resolution in the NVR - System - General - HDMI Resolution and then selecting the 4k option in the drop down menu. I tried both the 4k options ( 30HZ and 60HZ ) and the 2k option, i've even attempted to lower the res to 720 but whichever i select i get a black screen, i don't confirm it by selecting "ok" I just wait for it to restore after the 15 seconds. I have the LG 65NANO866NA 4K TV with 4x HDMI Ports 2x using hdmi 2.0 and 2x using hdmi 2.1, i've tried all of them. This is very weird, i might try another HDMI lead even though this one does have a tag saying high speed with ethernet UHD 4k.

The NVR is running V4.51.025 Build 210927. ( not researched if this is the latest yet or how to update )

I have it running at the moment and I'm going to continually check and tweak it over the next few days , would it be a good idea to enable H.265+ in the encoding parameters of all the camera's to reduce the bandwidth further or will this cause issues?

I have noticed that in live view there is an information icon which when i mouse over gives values of FPS, Bitrate, Resolution etc, the bitrate keep jumping around, is this bitrate essentially the bandwidth that i need to monitor to get lower?

I downloaded the iVMS-4500 app from the Play Store and added the account at HikConnect, after letting the NVR run overnight i logged in this morning and i've found that the quality of the live view is poor compared to the playback footage, the playback also jumps around , it may freeze then jump 3 seconds. I suspected this could be the sub stream settings so i have set them to values i believe would work that i have researched on the forums.

Below are the Sub Stream values i set for the 8MP Acusense ColorVu Camera which is displaying a low quality Live image on iVMS-4500 app even when clear has been selected in the app, the playback jumped on this one also. Could you advise me if they need amending or is this issue some other settings?

Stream Type - Video and Audio
Resolution ( Max 720P ) - 640*360
Bitrate Type - Variable
Video Quality - Highest
Frame Rate - 25FPS
Max Bitrate Mode - General
Max Bitrate (Kbps) ( Max:2M ) - 512
Max Bitrate Range Recommended - 1090 -1817 (Kbps)
Video Encoding - H.265

Is there a resource that i can be pointed to that shows me the best settings for camera's ( encoding parameters etc )?

I'm still finding my way around the forums so apologies for all the questions and if they have been answered elsewhere, I'm beginning to regret being a good samaritan and helping out family.

Also, your online shop is really good and easy to navigate, once I get my head around this system i think I'll be buying one for myself from you guys as your support and community is spot on.

Thanks Again for your time.

Hi @SteMac32

The latest firmware for your NVR is v4.61.020, as you are quite a few versions behind we would recommend that you update to each of the below versions one at a time:

V4.60.000 build211129
V4.61.000 build220507
V4.61.020 build220708 (use the STD version)

You can use H.265+ but it will limit your use of most smart events, if you need to use smart events then we would recommend using H.265.

Yes, the live bitrate you see in the live view is the bandwidth currently being used by the camera. It is a little confusing because the bitrate information is displayed in Kbps but the incoming bandwidth for the NVR is measured in Mbps, the basic rule of thumb is that 1,000Kbps is 1Mbps so you would not want your live bitrate to go massively above 10,000Kbps.

We don't recommend using iVMS-4500, this is the old app (I don't know why Hikvision keep it on the app store) and we instead recommend using the Hik-Connect app that can be downloaded from the Hikvision App Store

Try the Hik-Connect app and you should have a better-quality image when switching to the HD/HQ app stream.

it may freeze then jump 3 seconds

I tend to have this problem on older phones which can't handle 4K on the clear view in iVMS-4200 or HD view in Hik-Connect so they tend to stay on the low quality stream on both apps.

As for best camera settings, you shouldn't need to compromise as I have 8 of these 4K liveguard cameras on the same NVR at full res/frame rate and never have experienced bandwidth issues. In fact I had them on my old K series NVR but upgraded to the I series for 2-way audio. I have added screenshots of my settings for main stream, sub stream and main stream event

Main Stream

ms.jpg

Sub Stream
ss.jpg

Main Stream Event
event.jpg

Thanks for your replies guys

Dan.......................

Do I have to update the NVR in order one at a time or can i just update to the latest version? Is using a flashdrive/ USB Drive the best way to do this?

The bitrate now seems to be fluctuating within acceptable levels using H.265+ at 25fps ( 4000Kbps - 9000Kbps ) so hopefully this has helped with the bandwidth issues. I'm not too concerned setting up smart events at the moment so using H.265+ is not a problem for me.

Huge difference in quality with Hik Connect over iVMS4500. Like you say, why is this version still on Play Store and one of the first on the list!

I'm still having a problem with the NVR detecting my 4K TV, its still only allowing me to set resolution to 1080p even with a new HDMI lead on all 4 of my HDMI Ports. I've also noticed that the on screen NVR picture is slightly larger than the screen ( for example, in the top left corner the N of NVR is almost off screen and not visible ) Any extra help on this and res issues from anyone would be greatly appreciated , I've researched it but getting nowhere at the moment.

RetiredDinosaur..................

I have a Samsung S21 so I'm hoping that this should cope with the jumping, it occurred while using iVMS-4500 and it hasn't happened yet with the Hik Connect app so hopefully this has sorted the problem.

Thanks for the camera settings, i notice you have video quality set to medium, what is the difference between video quality and resolution. Does setting it to medium have an impact in quality on live view and playback.

Many Thanks for your replies

Hi @SteMac32

As mentioned in my last post we would recommend updating the NVR firmware one version at a time, there were some quite substantial updates/fixes with the v4.60 and v4.61 firmware so to avoid any issues it is best to update to them one at a time.

I'm not sure why you are still seeing that 4K display issue, I would check it after you have updated the firmware and let us know if it is still not displaying correctly.

Thanks guys, brilliant information.

Managed to get it all installed, set up and working fine.

There's just one thing that I'm struggling with now, I've set up audio on all the HikVision ColorVu POE IP camera's ( enabled everything etc... ) and they're all working great apart from one , this camera is different from the others as its a HikVision motorised zoom camera ( DS-2CD2647G2-LZS ). Having logged into this camera using the NVR Hyperlink option i checked the audio settings for the camera and I noticed that it doesn't have a "mic in" option but only a "line in" option instead. I'm guessing the this means that it won't give me audio using the cat5e like the other camera's and that i may have to run another cable. Could someone advise me what i need and how to go about this. The NVR model is DS-7608NI-I2/8P , it has an audio in and out on the back but not really sure what cable i need and how to connect it.

Cheers guys

Hi @SteMac32

If you look at the Interface section of the 2647G2 datasheet you will see that it does not support a built-in microphone and only supports 'line in' which means you will need to connect a 3rd-party microphone to the camera's Audio Input (3.5mm connector).

Hi @SteMac32

If you look at the Interface section of the 2647G2 datasheet you will see that it does not support a built-in microphone and only supports 'line in' which means you will need to connect a 3rd-party microphone to the camera's Audio Input (3.5mm connector).
Hi Dan, thanks for the quick response.

This was my concern, so what you're saying is that it's not just a matter of connecting some sort of audio cable from back of camera to NVR to sort this. Do i need to purchase a dedicated mic and connect it to the camera input? Also, If so, will the audio then be sent down the cat5e ?

Correct, you will need a separate microphone that connects directly to the camera. This will then send audio to the camera which is combined with the video stream and sent over the Cat5e network connection.

Hi Dan, thanks for the quick response.

This was my concern, so what you're saying is that it's not just a matter of connecting some sort of audio cable from back of camera to NVR to sort this. Do i need to purchase a dedicated mic and connect it to the camera input? Also, If so, will the audio then be sent down th
Correct, you will need a separate microphone that connects directly to the camera. This will then send audio to the camera which is combined with the video stream and sent over the Cat5e network connection.
That's great Dan thanks, what mic would you recommend for this?

Back