01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Turret cameras black after cable damage?

nubbin1

Hello everyone! I hope you can help with the following problem. I have a CCTV system with 6 DS-2CE56DOT.IT3 turret cameras, linked to a DS-7208HQHI-F1/N DVR with Cat 5/6 cables, baluns etc. Last week a clumsy oaf was rebuilding his wooden greenhouse, and didn't notice two cables routed through the bushes at the base of the greenhouse. Said clumsy oaf tripped over the cables and completely severed one. (For clumsy oaf, read me...). I spliced the cable back together, but both cameras were not working i.e. the DVR shows no video. I have replaced the full cable run with new cat 6 cable, but the DVR is still not picking up the cameras. SADP only picks up the DVR not individual cameras, and plugging the camera into my router doesn't help in detection. There is power to the cameras, and covering the light sensor does activate the IR LEDs so I'm assuming the cameras still work, but with no video. I'm a bit stuck now. Any ideas greatly appreciated. The other 4 cameras are still working fine with the same power supply etc.

Last edited:
Hello everyone! I hope you can help with the following problem.I have a CCTV system with 6 DS-2CE56DOT.IT3 turret cameras, linked to a DS-7208HQHI-F1/N DVR with Cat 5/6 cables, baluns etc. Last week a clumsy oaf was rebuilding his wooden greenhouse, and didn't notice two cables routed through the bushes at the base of the greenhouse. Said clumsy oaf tripped over the cables and completely severed one. (For clumsy oaf, read me...). I spliced the cable back together, but both cameras were not working i.e. the DVR shows no video. I have replaced the full cable run with new cat 6 cable, but the DVR is still not picking up the cameras. SADP only picks up the DVR not individual cameras, and plugging the camera into my router doesn't help in detection. There is power to the cameras, and covering the light sensor does activate the IR LEDs so I'm assuming the cameras still work, but with no video.I'm a bit stuck now. Any ideas greatly appreciated. The other 4 cameras are still working fine with the same power supply etc.
Unusual. They won't be available with SADP as they are not IP cameras, they're HDTVi (analogue HD). The Baluns just convert to allow transmission of that video signal over CAT cable. There's not much to get wrong with these cameras so I can't think why they wouldn't be working other than a bad connection. To check:

• Ensure that the polarity is correct on the Baluns. IE make sure the the pair you have used is in the same terminal at each end. They'll be marked + and - but usually are coloured white and grey. If the pair is switched at one end you'll have no signal.
  • Make sure that the wires are stripped back far enough. It's easy with those baluns to not strip the wire enough and then the spring terminal grips the wire insulation rather than the bare copper. Better to strip them a little too long (and remove and trim a touch if exposed)

Unusual. They won't be available with SADP as they are not IP cameras, they're HDTVi (analogue HD). The Baluns just convert to allow transmission of that video signal over CAT cable. There's not much to get wrong with these cameras so I can't think why they wouldn't be working other than a bad connection. To check:

• Ensure that the polarity is correct on the Baluns. IE make sure the the pair you have used is in the same terminal at each end. They'll be marked + and - but usually are coloured white and grey. If the pair is switched at one end you'll have no signal.
  • Make sure that the wires are stripped back far enough. It's easy with those baluns to not strip the wire enough and then the spring terminal grips the wire insulation rather than the bare copper. Better to strip them a little too long (and remove and trim a touch if exposed)
Many thanks JB1970. I've brought one of the faulty cameras indoors, and cut a short length of cable to wire it in and still not getting a video signal. I think I must have shorted out both cameras when I ripped the cable apart and it's fried something internally. Only option before buying new cameras is to swap a working camera onto the new cable. Unless it's the baluns that are fried...

Back