01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Upgrading from Hiwatch?

DrPhilG

Hi folks

I currently have a Hiwatch NVR with 7 PoE cameras. It's all pretty basic and I'd like to start planning for an upgrade.

• I live in a bungalow, with 5 cameras around the house. The other 2 cameras are on the gate (about 25m from the house) and on the garage (15m away). I currently have ethernet cables run to the external cams, but I'd rather get away from that as I've had a number of cable breaks both by myself, tradesmen etc. I also can't run new cables for those locations as unfortunately the cable run through the wall is no longer accessible.
  • I live rurally, so there are no street lights or other ambient lighting overnight.
  • PoE cams are mounted on soffits, I've had issues with glare from the house at times.
  • Area around the house is quite wide and open.

What I would like is:

8 channel (preferably 16) NVR
5 PoE cameras, with at least a few of them PTZ
2 (at least) wireless cameras. I can supply power at the 2 locations, but would want to transmit wirelessly rather than running cable
Need a much better night picture than my 4-5MP mix of cameras currently provide

Suggestions on spec & models appreciated, I'm trying to put together a shopping list and estimate prices so I can start saving. I've looked at Reolink as they seem a bit more user friendly for setup, but I know that Hikvision is the big dog in terms of quality, although it may require getting a pro to set it up rather than DIY although I did manage the HiWatch setup myself and it's on the HikConnect app.

I'll add some screenshots from the current setup shortly. Thanks in advance.

This is a day & night look to give an idea of layout. These are the SD feeds.
Screenshot_20240603_154209_Hik-Connect.jpg

Screenshot_20240603_003716_Hik-Connect.jpg

Excuse the angle on the dog run, I was adjusting the other day and haven't aligned it yet. Plus I've been doing a clearout so the place is a tip.

And the "Entrance" camera is dead because I'm currently repairing a cable break.

This is a HD feed screenshot of the back yard:
Screenshot_20240603_132752_Hik-Connect.jpg

Hi @DrPhilG

Below are the Hikvision products we would recommend for updating your HiWatch system.

NVR: DS-7608NI-M2/8P 8ch M-Series NVR
PoE Cameras: DS-2CD2387G2H-LIU 8MP Turret Hybrid Light Camera
WiFi Cameras: DS-2CD2546G2-IWS(C) 4MP AcuSense Mini Dome Wi-Fi Camera (this is the only outdoor WiFi camera Hikvision offers)

If you go the Hikvision route, we wouldn't recommend using PTZ or WiFi cameras. Hikvision PTZs are 2x/3x more expensive than fixed focal length Hikvision cameras, they are bigger than fixed cameras and can look too big when installed on a house (especially at a low level on a bungalow), and the reality is that 90/95% of the time a PTZ will just sit in one position so you will just be using a PTZ as an expensive fixed focal length camera.

In regards to WiFi cameras, going with these will limit your camera choice to just one model and due to the wireless connection these cameras can be less reliable and you might end up with gaps in your recordings from cameras dropping off the WiFi.

If you really want to use PTZ & WiFi cameras and would prefer to install them yourself, then we would recommend sticking with a consumer brand like Reolink, Swann, Arlo, etc... as they will cost less, will be easier to install/configure, and there will be more PTZ & WiFi options available.

Hi @DrPhilG

Below are the Hikvision products we would recommend for updating your HiWatch system.

NVR: DS-7608NI-M2/8P 8ch M-Series NVR
PoE Cameras: DS-2CD2387G2H-LIU 8MP Turret Hybrid Light Camera
WiFi Cameras: DS-2CD2546G2-IWS(C) 4MP AcuSense Mini Dome Wi-Fi Camera (this is the only outdoor WiFi camera Hikvision offers)

Thanks a million Dan

A few follow up queries if you don't mind.

If you go the Hikvision route, we wouldn't recommend using PTZ or WiFi cameras. Hikvision PTZs are 2x/3x more expensive than fixed focal length Hikvision cameras, they are bigger than fixed cameras and can look too big when installed on a house (especially at a low level on a bungalow), and the reality is that 90/95% of the time a PTZ will just sit in one position so you will just be using a PTZ as an expensive fixed focal length camera.
I can live with that. My intention was to go as high a spec as possible for a home user, even if it meant adding a bit at a time, and the PTZ cameras seemed like a higher end option. You're certainly right though in terms of them most likely being overkill and not being used to their ability most of the time.

In regards to WiFi cameras, going with these will limit your camera choice to just one model and due to the wireless connection these cameras can be less reliable and you might end up with gaps in your recordings from cameras dropping off the WiFi.
When you say it limits my choice to just one model, do you mean that I can't mix standard PoE cameras with WiFi ones and would have to go with all WiFi or all PoE? Or just that there is only 1 compatible/suitable Hikvision WiFi camera?

If you really want to use PTZ & WiFi cameras and would prefer to install them yourself, then we would recommend sticking with a consumer brand like Reolink, Swann, Arlo, etc... as they will cost less, will be easier to install/configure, and there will be more PTZ & WiFi options available.
Is the Hikvision option with (assuming I drop the PTZ) PoE and (depending on the answer to the previous question) 2 x WiFi cameras, is that definitely a pro installation only? Is a self install of Hikvision not possible or just tricky?

Thanks again

Last edited:
Hi @DrPhilG

I can live with that. My intention was to go as high a spec as possible for a home user, even if it meant adding a bit at a time, and the PTZ cameras seemed like a higher end option. You're certainly right though in terms of them most likely being overkill and not being used to their ability most of the time.
Okay, If you do want to stick with PTZs, the smallest and most cost-effective option would be the DS-2DE2A404IW-DE3(S6) 2-Inch 4MP Mini PT Dome Camera but this only offers a 4x optical zoom (2.8-12mm), if you want more zoom range we would recommend the DS-2DE4A425IWG-E 4-Inch 4MP 25x IR Network Speed Dome which has a 25x optical zoom range (4.8mm~120mm).

When you say it limits my choice to just one model, do you mean that I can't mix standard PoE cameras with WiFi ones and would have to go with all WiFi or all PoE?
No, what I mean is that when choosing to use WiFi cameras in a particular location you will limit camera options you have to just this one Mini Dome and a Mini Dome might not be the best option for that install location. You can have PoE & WiFi cameras as part of the same system.

Is the Hikvision option with (assuming I drop the PTZ) PoE and (depending on the answer to the previous question) 2 x WiFi cameras, is that definitely a pro installation only? Is a self install of Hikvision not possible or just tricky?
Hikvision is a professional product and can be more complex to configure, software and/or browser configuration is usually required and it can't be completely set up in the app. The HiWatch/HiLook ranges are Hikvision's consumer range which are easier to configure. Self install of Hikvision is possible but it does require some networking knowledge (especially when it comes to WiFi cameras).

Back