01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Why won't the PoE Injector/Splitter I have Power my TP-Link Camera?

tomycrosound

Help,
Greeting,
I bought this https://iponcomp.hr/shop/proizvod/p...juljanje-uprizzac-i-izolazija-kit-utp/1579577
and this https://iponcomp.hr/shop/proizvod/tp-link-vigi-c220i-2mp-ip-camera-4mm/2181042
The camera is always pictured on the net as having a separate input for power supply, and it can also use POE. It does not have a separate input for power supply!
I only use one part of the "splitter" that I bought - it doesn't work.
Is the problem a faulty camera or something else? (neatly packed, vacuum sealed, unused)

Hi @tomycrosound

Looking at the specs for that camera it only seems to state support for PoE (no mention of powering with a separate 12v PSU), if it only supports PoE you would be better off just plugging the camera straight into a PoE Injector or PoE switch and removing the "splitter" device from the setup completely.

Some other website say POE or 12v..
That thing (cable) has separate injector and spliter..
i use just injector, and - not working.

Are you using an IEEE 802.3af/at compliant POE source?

802.3af or at POE 30-11-23.png

Hi @tomycrosound

TP-Link who manufactures the camera says it is PoE only so I would take that to be the correct information, some sellers just copy & paste technical information to multiple product pages and don't check if it is actually correct.

We've never seen a "splitter" device like the one you've linked above, your link has very little information about the product but from some Googling, we have found this description of the product:

"The RFE-POESET is a passive PoE set from RF elements. By including both a PoE Injector and splitter, the set is used to power a device using PoE that itself is not PoE compatible, reducing the number of cables."

These devices take data & power, compress it into a passive PoE signal to send across one cable, and then split the signal again at the camera so that you can connect a non-PoE camera to the single network cable.

The issue is that this splitter device produces a non-standard passive PoE signal (instead of standard IEEE 802.3af/at PoE) and so if you just use the PoE injector part of this splitter device it won't power the camera because the TP-Link camera will not recognise the passive PoE signal it creates.

You need to use a PoE Injector that creates a standard IEEE 802.3af/at PoE signal.

Thank you!

Can i change wire position in cable from this injector that i have, to get it work?

Hi @tomycrosound

TP-Link who manufactures the camera says it is PoE only so I would take that to be the correct information, some sellers just copy & paste technical information to multiple product pages and don't check if it is actually correct.

We've never seen a "splitter" device like the one you've linked above, your link has very little information about the product but from some Googling, we have found this description of the product:

"The RFE-POESET is a passive PoE set from RF elements. By including both a PoE Injector and splitter, the set is used to power a device using PoE that itself is not PoE compatible, reducing the number of cables."

These devices take data & power, compress it into a passive PoE signal to send across one cable, and then split the signal again at the camera so that you can connect a non-PoE camera to the single network cable.

The issue is that this splitter device produces a non-standard passive PoE signal (instead of standard IEEE 802.3af/at PoE) and so if you just use the PoE injector part of this splitter device it won't power the camera because the TP-Link camera will not recognise the passive PoE signal it creates.

You need to use a PoE Injector that creates a standard IEEE 802.3af/at PoE signal.
Can i just buy this: Switch MERCUSYS MS106LP, 10/100 Mbps, 4xPoE, 6-port

Does this need setup before, how they know voltage i need?

Yes, that switch supports the IEEE 802.3af/at PoE standard so it should fine to connect the TP-Link camera directly to that switch.

Back