01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Advice on hikvision colorvu area coverage?

buncey

hi guys im currently looking to upgrade my 2 4 MP EXIR Bullet Network Cameras to protect my rear and side entrance

total rear area coverage is around 45m. i want to be able to identify people up to 12m away from camera location.
im looking to put one or two cameras at rear and one camera at side of property.

im looking into the new colorvu hikvision cameras as i would like the new cameras to include both mic and speakers for 2 way talk.
im thinking of both DS-2CD2387G2-LSU/SL 8mp for side house ( 12 x 2m) & new DS-2CD2T87G2P-LSUSL for rear as this would cover 180 degrees and no blind spots. looks ideal but lower ppm. or maybe 2 x DS-2CD2386G2-ISU 4mp. i have attached some pics showing each

which camera setup would you think would be ideal or should i go for a diff model?

compairing ppm would i notice much of a a difference regarding pixels per meter picture quality 10 meters away from camera from 158-230ppm?
Hikvision DS-2CD2347G2-LU 4mp 162.0ppm 10m from camera
Hikvision DS-2CD2387G2-LU 8mp 230.2ppm 10m from camera
Hikvision DS-2CD2T87G2P-LSU/SL 158.6ppm 10m from camera

thanks

Attachments

• DS-2CD2T87G2P-LSUSL - rear.jpeg
    DS-2CD2T87G2P-LSUSL - rear.jpeg
    47.7 KB · Views: 206
  • DS-2CD2386G2-ISU- 2 x 2.8mm - rear.jpeg
    DS-2CD2386G2-ISU- 2 x 2.8mm - rear.jpeg
    77.2 KB · Views: 207
  • DS-2CD2386G2-ISU - 2 x 6mm - rear.jpeg
    DS-2CD2386G2-ISU - 2 x 6mm - rear.jpeg
    43.5 KB · Views: 178
Hi @buncey

You have done some thorough research there :)

first of all, we would not recommend the 180 bullet camera. It has the lowest PPM because it has the same resolution as the 2387G2 but those pixels are spread out over a much larger area, this leads to less detail and some warping/distortion from the ultra-wide FoV.

If you are looking for the most detail we would definitely recommend the 8MP 2387G2 model, but I would also point out that the camera's built-in white light for achieving colour images at night is very bright and might not be a good choice if you are installing in a residential area. We usually recommend that ColorVu cameras work best in locations where there is already some ambient lighting like street lights or motion security lights and thus don't have to use the built-in white light.

If the scene is completely pitch black at night you might be better off using an IR camera like the DS-2CD2386G2-ISU/SL 8MP AcuSense Turret

Hi @buncey

You have done some thorough research there :)

first of all, we would not recommend the 180 bullet camera. It has the lowest PPM because it has the same resolution as the 2387G2 but those pixels are spread out over a much larger area, this leads to less detail and some warping/distortion from the ultra-wide FoV.

If you are looking for the most detail we would definitely recommend the 8MP 2387G2 model, but I would also point out that the camera's built-in white light for achieving colour images at night is very bright and might not be a good choice if you are installing in a residential area. We usually recommend that ColorVu cameras work best in locations where there is already some ambient lighting like street lights or motion security lights and thus don't have to use the built-in white light.

If the scene is completely pitch black at night you might be better off using an IR camera like the DS-2CD2386G2-ISU/SL 8MP AcuSense Turret

thanks dan for great advice.
i will certainly look into DS-2CD2386G2-ISU/SL. its such a hard choice as i wanted to kind of future proof my current DS-2CD2T42WD-I8 cameras have been up about 7 years as i dont really plan on upgrading again for a long time so i want to buy right cameras. tbh my 4mp 42wd cams been great cameras in day and ir at night. but i ideally wanted to upgrade as newer cameras as they have great features like AcuSense & colorvu cameras . i would favour colorvu instead of ir for a change but its not a deal breaker.

i do have a motion light on garage with about a 10m range. rest will be in complete darkness at rear but i thought the colorvu built in the white light would be fine illumination at night within a small area 10m range.

plus regarding DS-2CD2387G2-ISU/SL i was reading theres firmware 5.7.2 which allows you to trigger white light just upon motion? without having to have light on allnight which i think is handy. and both the 2386g2 and 2387g2 is the only difference is one being darkfighter and other being colour vu are they the same spec wise.

not sure if they do g2 acusence and colorvu in 4mp versions also. just checking out all camera options before i finally decide which to go with did not realize be so hard to choose right camera.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @buncey

Yes, as you have a motion light in place the ColorVu will work ok in your case and yes if you are running the latest firmware you should be able to set the white light to come on when events trigger, but this can also be a little problematic because some false events can trigger the white light.

Between the 2386G2-IU and 2387G2-LU the only difference is that the 2387 supports the ColorVu white light, both models support the AcuSense features. There is a table in the below forum thread that shows which features are included with which models:

You have listed the 4MP AcuSense & ColorVu camera in your original post - DS-2CD2347G2-LU

thankyou for your kind help. do you think the 8mp 2.8 vs the 4mm at a 10m distance there would be much diffrence in picture quality for identify purposes at that range. i ask because i can get the DS-2CD2387G2-ISU 2.8mm version at decent price of someone i know as hes decided not to install.

calculator shows 2.8mm at 214.6 ppm at 10m away vs 4mm 248.8 ppm at 10m away from camera. 4mm does have the higher ppm due to being more zoomed in but would the aprox 30+ ppm diffrence over the 2.8mm really be noticable up to 10-11 neters.

should i stick with 2 x 2.8mm for rear or pay the extra and go with 4mm option. or even go with the 2.8 and 4mm mix?

i also think im going to go with DS-1273ZJ-140 wall mount im pretty sure DS-2CD2387G2-ISU is compatable.

Last edited:
i also think im going to go with DS-1273ZJ-140 wall mount im pretty sure DS-2CD2387G2-ISU is compatable.
There's no great advantage to that wall mount (IMHO). I find them a bit unsightly. That style of mount is necessary for domes, but turrets can be wall or soffit mounted without issue. The DS-1280ZJ-DM21 is tidier as it is the same diameter as the camera, so just makes the camera appear deeper. Don't be put off by the large compression gland shown in the image - you can just throw that away and replace it with the blank that unscrews from the rear cable entry.

i was going to go with DS-1273ZJ-140 type down side of house as i thought useing this mount the camera would be further away out from wall than the DS-1280ZJ-DM21 type mount, however i could be wrong.

i was going to go with DS-1273ZJ-140 type down side of house as i thought useing this mount the camera would be further away out from wall than the DS-1280ZJ-DM21 type mount, however i could be wrong.
It will bring the camera away from the wall further than the 1280ZJ-DM21 back box if that's needed - about 100mm extra (perhaps if the camera was to be positioned adjacent a down pipe to clear it)

It will bring the camera away from the wall further than the 1280ZJ-DM21 back box if that's needed - about 100mm extra (perhaps if the camera was to be positioned adjacent a down pipe to clear it)
yes there is a standard drainage downpipe located about 15ft away on same wall where camera will be fitted . so was thinking the 140 mount would give camera extra width to see around pipe. or maybe being 15ft away and not right next to camera location if the extra 100mm width the 140 mount gives you is needed.

im also thinking if instead of placing 2 camera at rear wall pointing away from each other, im thinking t would be better to have one camera located on garage then other on main wall. as i think it will give better view of both areas.

however i dont have any internet outlets or access in garage and too far to directly network cable. i do have mains power.

any ideas what would be best option to get colorvu camera online to my nvr in house? just wondering if these below would work fine. for power and network connection to my nvr.

i do currenty have these powelline adaptors. d-lan 500 adaptors
also seen this for power: 30W Gigabit PoE Injector

Last edited:
yes there is a standard drainage downpipe located about 15ft away on same wall where camera will be fitted . so was thinking the 140 mount would give camera extra width to see around pipe. or maybe being 15ft away and not right next to camera location if the extra 100mm width the 140 mount gives you is needed.

im also thinking if instead of placing 2 camera at rear wall pointing away from each other, im thinking t would be better to have one camera located on garage then other on main wall. as i think it will give better view of both areas.

however i dont have any internet outlets or access in garage and too far to directly network cable. i do have mains power.

any ideas what would be best option to get colorvu camera online to my nvr in house? just wondering if these below would work fine. for power and network connection to my nvr.

i do currenty have these powelline adaptors. d-lan 500 adaptors
also seen this for power: 30W Gigabit PoE Injector
Powerline adaptors can work ok, but it's all dependant on the mains wiring and speeds/latency can vary massively. They should always be plugged directly into the socket and not via an extension lead. Best results are achieved when the sockets are on the same circuit. While they can still work when the sockets are on separate circuits but you could well have issues if they are on separate RCD's. I'd always do a few tests before going down the powerline route.

1 - Do a speed test with a wired connection directly into your router, then repeat that while plugged into the remote powerline. That would only highlight major issues as the speed test can only top out out at your internet connection speed (there are other tools you can download to measure connection speed between two points on a LAN)

2 - Run some continuous ping tests from the remote powerline adaptor to the NVRs local IP address to check for excessive latency.

Regardless of how well it tests, the speed and latency may vary over time and could be affected by noise from other appliances on the circuits.

Back