01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Camera dropping randomly from NVR (2163-G0)

Dave Howard

2163-G0 Purchased/Installed in March. This replaced a 2532 that had been in place for 3+years. Same cable/run from NVR. I'll admit its a long run tho.
From the start of May the new 2163 has had an increasing number of 'IP Camera Disconnects" which is massively frustrating and losing recording/view.
I have swapped NVR ports + tested cable (bear in mind its worked for >4yrs) + put silica gel in connector box at rear of camera to avoid condensation + re-made end off + ensure latest firmware (5.6.1_190604) on camera and NVR.

A reboot of NVR will bring camera back but it will disconnect, and this appears a random duration of time.
I have endeavoured to make settings the same as another camera installed at same time, and also removed Smart Events from the camera in question.
I still have the 2532 and my next move would be to swap that back in as a known working device.

Any ideas I can try next?

I can't think of anything enlightening.
It is a process of elimination.

Perhaps put the original camera back AND (assuming you have a further spare NVR port) connect the problem camera with a short/bought cable and check whether you still see a problem.

@Phil .. thanks. Have put old camera back on yday. Failed losing video/connection after few hours. So not camera (phew). I find it strange that it seems an indeterminant period between fails/loss and cant seem to find anything as an event or action that links to duration. Is it possible the PoE is intermittently losing power due to distance (remember I have swapped NVR PoE ports so unlikely that)?

@David .. cable is Cat5e solid core not stranded. Run length is approx. 40-45m. No PoE injectors just running straight from back of NVR PoE.

An additional run for another camera was put in about 2wks before fault started. Thinking now either issue during that install pinking original cable or need to make ends off again. I have left a tester (ethernet) on it for 10mins and not noticed any dropouts on connections. Bear in mind it has been in place for >5years as well.

Have you checked the NVR logs to see if you are getting any exceptions related to that camera?

What's the total POE load on your NVR?
I assume the solid cable is not CCA?
Copper Clad Aluminium is a known cause of problems.

@fullboogie snip of log attached. Yes exceptions. That attached is the typical log posts when the camera disappears its #D6.

@Phil .. cable isn't CCA on this on. Although has been there a number of years (my 1st order with you :) ) so may have degraded. Is a mix of inside and outside as well.
NVR PoE load .. how can I calculate that? I would say of 8x ports on this 'new' NVR from April I only have 6x cameras on it currently. The total rating of the 6x cameras is 44w whereas the NVR as 7608 /P is <120W so assume load isn't an issue.

Thanks both.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
Is there nothing before or after those logs that looks odd?

Your POE load is reported on the NVR interface. Not sure where, as I am at work right now.

Is there nothing before or after those logs that looks odd?

Your POE load is reported on the NVR interface. Not sure where, as I am at work right now.
Thanks @fullboogie for reply. I have attached exported log. I you look (for example) toward end of this file you can see more of the detail where D6 (the camera in question) is lost/disconnected followed by NVR reboot which I did manually.
This is log from today, so you can also see other similar D6 disconnections in the log.
It doesn't appear to matter if it has or has not got smart event detection running .. fails both ways.

Attachments

• CCTV Log File 20190809 V1.txt
    387.3 KB · Views: 1,250
@Phil .. thanks. Have put old camera back on yday. Failed losing video/connection after few hours. So not camera (phew). I find it strange that it seems an indeterminant period between fails/loss and cant seem to find anything as an event or action that links to duration. Is it possible the PoE is intermittently losing power due to distance (remember I have swapped NVR PoE ports so unlikely that)?

@David .. cable is Cat5e solid core not stranded. Run length is approx. 40-45m. No PoE injectors just running straight from back of NVR PoE.

An additional run for another camera was put in about 2wks before fault started. Thinking now either issue during that install pinking original cable or need to make ends off again. I have left a tester (ethernet) on it for 10mins and not noticed any dropouts on connections. Bear in mind it has been in place for >5years as well.

If the cat5e is good quality 5 years is nothing. To rule out the nvr poe have you tried using a poe injector and run the camera standalone on your lan?

Thanks @fullboogie for reply. I have attached exported log. I you look (for example) toward end of this file you can see more of the detail where D6 (the camera in question) is lost/disconnected followed by NVR reboot which I did manually.
This is log from today, so you can also see other similar D6 disconnections in the log.
It doesn't appear to matter if it has or has not got smart event detection running .. fails both ways.

Man, you're getting lots of "IP Camera Disconnect" exceptions on several cameras, D3, D1, D6, D7. I've never seen that in any of my logs. Have you noticed the "POE Power Supply Exception" seems to occur immediately before those disconnects? The description to the right states the power is going to 0.0W, then you get the disconnect. They may be related. Below is at 15.09

fjtfzY0.jpg

Last edited:
Man, you're getting lots of "IP Camera Disconnect" exceptions on several cameras, D3, D1, D6, D7. I've never seen that in any of my logs. Have you noticed the "POE Power Supply Exception" seems to occur immediately before those disconnects? The description to the right states the power is going to 0.0W, then you get the disconnect. They may be related. Below is at 15.09

fjtfzY0.jpg

@fullboogie agreed, I came to the same conclusion myself

I am far from any kind of expert, still learning. But I have to wonder if the POE ports or power supply is failing?

Thanks @David and @fullboogie .. Poe injector due from Amazon today.
The power exception I had searched and folks indicated was just a thing that happened.
Appreciate your insights and observations from the log info.
Interesting that I put my original camera on earlier in week, it has a lower power rating and whilst it has been dropping in/out randomly it has in the main been recovering itself losing between a minute and an hour.
Wondering if nvr can’t provide the power needed and therefore a Poe switch separate for cameras may be answer ... lets see with the injector on.

Update @David and @fullboogie and for @Phil to for feedback.
I got PoE extender and fitted. It's now been running without a loss of signal on the cable/camera in question for 26hours.

The interesting thing is I didn't (on purpose) change my cable run, but simply added a new 1m Ethernet cable between NVR + Extender(in) and then the original cable from Extender(out) to the camera. To me indicating the cable connections are ok.

This does seem to indicate that the NVR POE ports - I have tried 3x different ones over time - are in some way not pushing enough power down the cable to consistently provide power to the camera or that the length of cable is now causing an issue when it has been fine for last X-years its been in place before replacing NVR/camera in March/Apr.

I know this is 26hr period only, but in that same time it would have disconnected at least twice previously.

Any thoughts on this?

Good to hear about the progress. I'd monitor the logs to be sure you aren't getting any more power supply exceptions.

And by the way, my name is David too. We've got three of us in this thread.

@Dave Howard NVR PoE supply definitely suspect. I would've thought an NVR single PoE port would be able to power a PoE device connected to 100m of cat5 ethernet cable. From one of my earlier comments, did you check if there was an NVR setting to adjust the PoE power relative to cable length?

@David cant find any such setting to adjust PoE power setting. Just that it’s on or off.
@fullboogie its good to be a David

@Phil any thoughts as I’d like to get a swap rather than have Poe extender when I ain’t had or needed one before for this cable run. This nvr installed April and logs show various frequency of error since then on this cable with two different cameras (original and new 2163).

Back