01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

HikVision NVR Wiring Question

talksr

Hello,
I have a HikVision 8MP DS-7604NI-K1/4P POE NVR with a 10TB HDD and 2 x DS-2CD2385FWD-I 2.8mm cameras.
The NVR has two direct ethernet connections going from the back of it direct to each camera with two more ports spare.
I am thinking of installing a POE outdoor switch using one cable so I am able to add two more cameras to the NVR but without running individual cables to each camera.
Does anyone know if this would work? The POE is not an issue as I have a POE switch next to the NVR if needs be, but my question is, will the NVR detect the IP cameras if they are connected into a switch rather than direct to the NVR?

Also, just out of interest, does anyone know if the more modern HikVision cameras would be compatible with my NVR. Say a DS-2CD2367G2P-LSU/SL?

Thanks in advance

Hi @talksr

It won't be possible to connect the outdoor switch directly to NVR PoE ports, but If the NVRs LAN port is connected to the switch that is next to it and that switch is connected to your router/local network you could connect the outdoor switch to the switch next to the NVR and add the cameras to the NVR over the local network.

In regards to cameras, if you look at our product page for the DS-2CD2367G2P-LSU/SL you will see under the "Important Notes" that these panoramic cameras are not compatible with the 7604NI K-series NVRs, but the 7604 NVR should be able to support the standard 4MP ColorVu models (DS-2CD2347G2-LU).

Hi @talksr

It won't be possible to connect the outdoor switch directly to NVR PoE ports, but If the NVRs LAN port is connected to the switch that is next to it and that switch is connected to your router/local network you could connect the outdoor switch to the switch next to the NVR and add the cameras to the NVR over the local network.

In regards to cameras, if you look at our product page for the DS-2CD2367G2P-LSU/SL you will see under the "Important Notes" that these panoramic cameras are not compatible with the 7604NI K-series NVRs, but the 7604 NVR should be able to support the standard 4MP ColorVu models (DS-2CD2347G2-LU).
Thank you Dan, very helpful.
I think at present, the two cameras I have pick up their IP from the DHCP on the NVR. Would that still be the same if I were to run a cable out of one of the four NVR ports, into a POE switch which then goes outside to an outdoor POE switch and then off to each individual camera? The inside POE switch may have other devices on it so would this not cause confusion as the cameras may try and get their DHCP from the internet router rather than the NVR?

Would I need to keep the cameras on a separate physical network or use a VLAN?

Or is it possible for the NVR to detect cameras just by being connected on a network? By this, I mean the NVR has a dedicated LAN port and then four POE ports for the cameras. Just by it being on the network using its dedicated port, would it not be able to detect cameras if they are on the same physical network, so long as they are powered?

re: a single cable out of one of the 4 NVR ports into a switch etc......

Not a good idea for a few reasons:
  • you're now pushing the 2 new cameras thru a single 100Mbs port. Not ideal, but it would (probably) work if you stay at 2 cameras.
  • assuming this new switch is also plugged into your primary router network, that would put 2 DHCP Servers on the same network. It's allowed but would drive you nuts. Typically, whatever DHCP Server answers first provides the IP address. Mass confusion & headaches for you. Do yourself a favor and don't go down this path.

• BUT you can leave 2 cameras on the NVR POE ports and then put 2 cameras (via switches) connected via the LAN interface. 2 cameras on 1 network, and 2 cameras on the other network. That would work.
re: physical networks or VLANs ?
  • both physical & VLANs work. NVR POE ports won't support VLAN tagging though.
  • personally, I use VLANs, BUT my switches support VLANs, LACP, and lots of other good stuff, like DHCP Server functions. BUT this is me.
  • if your network equipment supports VLANs and you understand how to configure them, definitely go for it.
  • for now, I'll assume your switches are the "dumb" type and thus you're limited to physical networks. Physical networks do work.
  • pick whatever works for you.
re: question(s) about using the LAN interface
  • HIK's network design point for that NVR is 2 networks. 1 network on the NVR POE ports and 1 network on the LAN port. If you inter-connect the two, yeah it can be done, but confusion will reign supreme. Most network savvy people aren't equipped to deal with this confusion. So follow the KISS rule, & Keep It Simple _tupid. Don't inter-connect the two networks.
  • my M-Series NVR does NOT permit a DHCP Server to be configured on the LAN interface. The same likely applies to your K Series NVR.
  • the 2 new cameras will be reachable if plugged into this LAN interface network.
    • use the SADP tool to find them if necessary.
    • the SADP tool broadcasts using a multi-cast address to find all HIK devices within the SAME Broadcast Domain, so do NOT turn off multi-cast in any HIK device (if you want to find it using the SADP tool).
  • the NVR POE ports are in one Broadcast Domain, the LAN interface is in another Broadcast Domain. To find all HIK Devices, in turn, plug the SADP tool into EACH Broadcast Domain to see only those HIK devices in that Broadcast Domain.
  • chances are you'll need to manually add the 2 new cameras to the NVR (assuming SADP can see the cameras on this network). Easy peasy.
  • plug the LAN interface into a switch, set a static IP address that works for you OR configure the single DHCP Server in your network (probably in your router) to serve out the same IP address each time. Look up DHCP Reservations (aka MAC Bindings) if you're not familiar with this. I utilize DHCP for ALL my cameras & NVR. Takes a few extra minutes to set up the MAC Address(es) but once it's done, it's done. Of course, do whatever works for you.
HTH

It won't be possible to connect the outdoor switch directly to NVR PoE ports
You can do that, I’ve done it a number of times. It doesn’t matter which physical PoE port you use, you edit the NVR channels manually first before connecting anything, activate the cameras and change nothing other than the IP address (setting it in the 192.168.254.xxx range), then plug in the switch and connect the cameras to the switch.

you're now pushing the 2 new cameras thru a single 100Mbs port. Not ideal, but it would (probably) work if you stay at 2 cameras.

Again, this is not an issue. The 7604- K1 has 4 x 100Mbps PoE ports; the total incoming bandwidth of that model is 80 Mbps so you could run all four cameras off one port without issue. You’ve got 20 Mbps per channel; I wouldn’t put 4 x 4K cameras into one PoW port but then again I wouldn’t put 4 x 4K cameras on that model.

Back