01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Cameras don’t auto-start recordings after my DS-7608NI-M2 /8P NVR reboots?

kmb786

Centurion!
Trusted Member
Hi

I’ve come across the following issues since installing the system as below but not sure if this happened before or after installing the latest NVR firmware from the links on this forum.

1. Whenever I reboot the NVR, the cameras do not start auto- recording so I have to choose “Start Recording” on each camera screen.

2. After NVR reboot each time, the NVR seems to go through the setup wizard to set language, date/time etc before displaying all the camera feeds.

Please advise as to what the cause might be as this is a new setup at my daughters house and I haven’t yet managed to get remote access working so would have to go there to make any changes.

NVR - DS-7608NI-M2 /8P

4 x 4MP Color Vu Turret cameras - DS-2CD3347G2-LSU

Thanks

Hi

I’ve come across the following issues since installing the system as below but not sure if this happened before or after installing the latest NVR firmware from the links on this forum.

1. Whenever I reboot the NVR, the cameras do not start auto- recording so I have to choose “Start Recording” on each camera screen.

2. After NVR reboot each time, the NVR seems to go through the setup wizard to set language, date/time etc before displaying all the camera feeds.

Please advise as to what the cause might be as this is a new setup at my daughters house and I haven’t yet managed to get remote access working so would have to go there to make any changes.

NVR - DS-7608NI-M2 /8P

4 x 4MP Color Vu Turret cameras - DS-2CD3347G2-LSU

Thanks
It sounds as though there’s no recording schedule setup on the NVR. It should be set to 24/7 continuous recording. In the NVR set that for cam 1, apply then copy to the rest of the cameras.

Reactions: Dan
HI JB1970

Thank you for your reply - I will check this and make sure it’s set.

Also, just to confirm that I do this on the NVR gui settings and not on each camera gui config.

Thanks

HI JB1970

Thank you for your reply - I will check this and make sure it’s set.

Also, just to confirm that I do this on the NVR gui settings and not on each camera gui config.

Thanks
Yes you do it on the NVR for each camera, NOT on the cameras directly. The schedule on the camera is only relevant if the stream is being recorded to its own SD card or elsewhere if the camera is standalone. The recording schedule on the NVR will request the main stream from the camera and store to the hard disk.

Reactions: Dan
Many thanks for the confirmation. I will check this once I go over to my daughters house.

I’m still trying to work out how to set remote access to NVR but having no success - I have tried the following

Thanks

Hi

Just seen that and replied. I will give it another go at some point.

Thanks

Yes you do it on the NVR for each camera, NOT on the cameras directly. The schedule on the camera is only relevant if the stream is being recorded to its own SD card or elsewhere if the camera is standalone. The recording schedule on the NVR will request the main stream from the camera and store to the hard disk.
Hi

I have checked the above and each camera has the schedule set to Continuous recording (see pic below for one of my cameras) but still have the issue in that when I reboot the NVR or does not start the recording for each camera so I have to Start recording on each camera manually.

Also, under the Event —> Basic Event config for each camera (see second pic as example), Enable Motion Detection enabled which shouldn’t cause my issue as this is set the same on my own NVR and recording works fine even after rebooting.

As a test, I did disable this but still have the issue.

Therefore, can you please advise what else I can check as to why recording of each camera does not start after rebooting NVR.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1927.jpeg
    IMG_1927.jpeg
    772.5 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1941.jpeg
    IMG_1941.jpeg
    724.8 KB · Views: 72
How do you have the cameras connected to the NVR? Are they connected directly to the PoE ports on the rear of the NVR or are they connected to the network using a separate PoE switch.

I ask the above because you have a /P model NVR. If you happen to have the cameras connected directly to the NVR PoE ports, then the IP addresses are setup incorrectly. You’ve show the NVR is at 192.168.0.75 and the camera at 192.168.0.121. Cameras on the PoE ports cannot be on the same subnet as the NVR.

How do you have the cameras connected to the NVR? Are they connected directly to the PoE ports on the rear of the NVR or are they connected to the network using a separate PoE switch.

I ask the above because you have a /P model NVR. If you happen to have the cameras connected directly to the NVR PoE ports, then the IP addresses are setup incorrectly. You’ve show the NVR is at 192.168.0.75 and the camera at 192.168.0.121. Cameras on the PoE ports cannot be on the same subnet as the NVR.
All four cameras are connected directly to the NVR.

All cameras have their local NVR IP assesses (.254.xx).

Sorry for the misunderstanding looking at the two screenshots I sent - they are from my own NVR to show you the config settings which are exactly the same as my daughters NVR - the reason why the Luca show the same ip range is that the camera is connected to a seperate Switch and was added through the SADP tool so please ignore the ip Config bit on these pics.

Thanks

All four cameras are connected directly to the NVR.

All cameras have their local NVR IP assesses (.254.xx).

Sorry for the misunderstanding looking at the two screenshots I sent - they are from my own NVR to show you the config settings which are exactly the same as my daughters NVR - the reason why the Luca show the same ip range is that the camera is connected to a seperate Switch and was added through the SADP tool so please ignore the ip Config bit on these pics.

Thanks
Hi

Just another bit of settings I’ve noticed.

If I go into the menu settings direct on the NVR, the Record setting is set to “Manual” instead of “Continuous” which is the case on my own NVR (DS-7608NI-I2/O2). - see pic

Could this be the issue as I cannot find how to change it direct on the NVR menus.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2014.jpeg
    IMG_2014.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 77
Hi

Just another bit of settings I’ve noticed.

If I go into the menu settings direct on the NVR, the Record setting is set to “Manual” instead of “Continuous” which is the case on my own NVR (DS-7608NI-I2/O2). - see pic

Could this be the issue as I cannot find how to change it direct on the NVR menus.

Thanks
That's showing how the cameras are currently recording, so if the NVR rebooted and wasn't recording, then you started manual recording, it will show 'manual'. If all was well, as soon as the NVR reboots and the cameras connect it would show 'continuous'

Show images of the record schedule on the affected NVR. It should be enabled for 24/7 continuous recording for all cameras. I know you've said it is, but the previous screenshots were of your own NVR as an example as opposed to your daughters which has the issue.

Last edited:
That's showing how the cameras are currently recording, so if the NVR rebooted and wasn't recording, then you started manual recording, it will show 'manual'. If all was well, as soon as the NVR reboots and the cameras connect it would show 'continuous'

Show images of the record schedule on the affected NVR. It should be enabled for 24/7 continuous recording for all cameras. I know you've said it is, but the previous screenshots were of your own NVR as an example as opposed to your daughters which has the issue.
Hi JB

Do you want images of record schedule directly from the NVR or by going to each camera via the web interfaces through the NVR virtual host?

Thanks

Hi JB

Do you want images of record schedule directly from the NVR or by going to each camera via the web interfaces through the NVR virtual host?

Thanks
@kmb76 - Only the NVR is relevant. You could have anything you like in the individual cameras and it will have zero effect on recordings. Your cameras are managed by the NVR. The NVR recording schedule should be set to 24/7 continuous and enabled for each camera (which it would have been out of the box)

If I could share only one piece of advice regarding IP CCTV, it would be that when you have cameras recorded by an NVR:

Program all available settings on the NVR, camera settings programmed via the NVR are stored on the camera. Only program settings on the camera directly that are not available to program via the NVR.

@kmb76 - Only the NVR is relevant. You could have anything you like in the individual cameras and it will have zero effect on recordings. Your cameras are managed by the NVR. The NVR recording schedule should be set to 24/7 continuous and enabled for each camera (which it would have been out of the box)

If I could share only one piece of advice regarding IP CCTV, it would be that when you have cameras recorded by an NVR:

Program all available settings on the NVR, camera settings programmed via the NVR are stored on the camera. Only program settings on the camera directly that are not available to program via the NVR.
I will get this info to you once I’m back at my daughters place.

With regards to your last paragraph about making changes, I’m a bit confused as to what you mean (sorry maybe I’m misunderstanding) but below is what I normally do.

1. I didn’t make any changes to the NVR setting directly on the NVR menu screens except when first switching on the NVR and going through the config wizard.

I go into the NVR web interface to make any config changes as you get more options and easier to do.

2. The only changes I make directly on each camera (via the NVR web interface and logging into each camera) is things like image and video settings (frame rates, shutter speed, wdr settings etc).

3. The recording schedule is again configure through the web gui on the NVR and selecting each camera setting.

I hope the above is the correct way

Many thanks for your advice and assistance.

One other thing I might try once the NVR is rebooted and before starting the recording on each camera, is to get someone to walk outside in the motion detection area and if the recording starts and then stops then it must be something to do with the motion detection enabled.

1. I didn’t make any changes to the NVR setting directly on the NVR menu screens except when first switching on the NVR and going through the config wizard.

I go into the NVR web interface to make any config changes as you get more options and easier to do.
That’s fine. When I say NVR I mean either on the local GUI or the NVR web interface.

2. The only changes I make directly on each camera (via the NVR web interface and logging into each camera) is things like image and video settings (frame rates, shutter speed, wdr settings etc).

Those should also be carried out on the NVR where they are present. They’re stored in the camera anyway, but set everything via the NVR first, then only touch parameters in the camera that are not available in the NVR.

3. The recording schedule is again configure through the web gui on the NVR and selecting each camera setting.

That’s correct. I can only imagine that this is where a mistake has been made. All of the bars should be blue for continuous. Clicking continuous has no effect on its own. Clear the schedule, click continuous, set the first day to 24/7, save, copy to the other days, save, copy to all cameras, save.

One other thing I might try once the NVR is rebooted and before starting the recording on each camera, is to get someone to walk outside in the motion detection area and if the recording starts and then stops then it must be something to do with the motion detection enabled.

Motion detection alone does not affect recording, unless the schedule is set to motion, event etc instead of continuous. What you should see in the page you photographed earlier is ‘record type’ showing continuous not manual and ‘encoding parameters’ toggling between continuous and event when one is present.

Last edited:
That’s fine. When I say NVR I mean either on the local GUI or the NVR web interface.

Those should also be carried out on the NVR where they are present. They’re stored in the camera anyway, but set everything via the NVR first, then only touch parameters in the camera that are not available in the NVR.

That’s correct. I can only imagine that this is where a mistake has been made. All of the bars should be blue for continuous. Clicking continuous has no effect on its own. Clear the schedule, click continuous, set the first day to 24/7, save, copy to the other days, save, copy to all cameras, save.

Motion detection alone does not affect recording, unless the schedule is set to motion, event etc instead of continuous. What you should see in the page you photographed earlier is ‘record type’ showing continuous not manual and ‘encoding parameters’ toggling between continuous and event when one is present.

I have 4.61.025 on several NVRs and have never seen any issue.
Hi JB

Many thanks for this advice and info. I will check all the above and get back to you.

Thanks

Hi JB

Many thanks for this advice and info. I will check all the above and get back to you.

Thanks
Hi JB

I have managed to spend some time today to check out various settings and installed some more firmware updates. Details below.

1. Rebooted NVR and BEFORE “Starting” the recording on each camera, I got my daughter to go out in front of the cameras and I could see inside on the screen that motion detection detected movement and recorded this as I could see this clip in playback. However, after still leaving the recording off for a while, it did not record any continuous recording which is very strange.

2. The current firmware I installed once out of the box was V4.61.420, Build 230217.

I noticed that there were three further firmware updates released which I have installed one at a time successfully but issue not resolved.

3. I have disabled/enable motion detection on each camera.

4. I have cleared all record schedules on each camera and then set continuous schedule on one camera then copied to all days and all cameras.

After testing all above steps, still have the issue. I attach screenshots of the firmware versions after each update, record schedule settings and motion detection settings.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2020.jpeg
    IMG_2020.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2021.jpeg
    IMG_2021.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_2022.jpeg
    IMG_2022.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 76
  • IMG_2023.jpeg
    IMG_2023.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 76
  • IMG_2024.jpeg
    IMG_2024.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_2025.jpeg
    IMG_2025.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG_2026.jpeg
    IMG_2026.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_2028.jpeg
    IMG_2028.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 76
  • IMG_2030.jpeg
    IMG_2030.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_2031.jpeg
    IMG_2031.jpeg
    707.4 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_2032.jpeg
    IMG_2032.jpeg
    752.5 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2033.jpeg
    IMG_2033.jpeg
    774 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_2034.jpeg
    IMG_2034.jpeg
    711 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_2029.jpeg
    IMG_2029.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 72
Everything looks to be as it should and I see no reason for the schedule not to work. If there were a specific firmware issue, that would've been resolved by the updates (my own NVR has the same version on). Just check that in Configuration > Storage > Advanced Configuration > 'Others' that 'Overwriting' is enabled (all three checkboxes should be ticked) That's in the browser menu so you can do it remotely.

What I'd probably do next is to reboot the NVR remotely, give it 5 minutes to come back online and for the cameras to reconnect, then log in remotely again. Once logged in go to Configuration > System > System Maintenance > Log. Change the start time of the log to just before the reboot and see what goes on as the cameras reconnect - do the logs show any exceptions/warnings that may give a clue as to what's going wrong?

I can't think of any setting that could be misconfigured directly on a camera, that would prevent the recording starting while allowing live view and an otherwise working system. In the absence of any error in the NVR log above, I'd factory default one of the cameras and reconnect it using Plug and Play without altering any settings. Once connected a further reboot to see whether that individual camera starts recording as it should would confirm whether this is a NVR or camera config issue.

Everything looks to be as it should and I see no reason for the schedule not to work. If there were a specific firmware issue, that would've been resolved by the updates (my own NVR has the same version on). Just check that in Configuration > Storage > Advanced Configuration > 'Others' that 'Overwriting' is enabled (all three checkboxes should be ticked) That's in the browser menu so you can do it remotely.

What I'd probably do next is to reboot the NVR remotely, give it 5 minutes to come back online and for the cameras to reconnect, then log in remotely again. Once logged in go to Configuration > System > System Maintenance > Log. Change the start time of the log to just before the reboot and see what goes on as the cameras reconnect - do the logs show any exceptions/warnings that may give a clue as to what's going wrong?

I can't think of any setting that could be misconfigured directly on a camera, that would prevent the recording starting while allowing live view and an otherwise working system. In the absence of any error in the NVR log above, I'd factory default one of the cameras and reconnect it using Plug and Play without altering any settings. Once connected a further reboot to see whether that individual camera starts recording as it should would confirm whether this is a NVR or camera config issue.
Hi JB

I will try out the above and get back to you.

Another odd thing that I’ve just seen this morning when using the Hik-Connect app to view the cameras live - since all firmware updates have been installed on NVR, there is a pop up on each camera screen that says “Armed” and when I go into “Playbsck” on each camera, it seems that it is only recording motion/event clips and allows you to click on All, Event, Human, Vehicle playback events which is new and it is not recording any Continuous recording. See screenshots attached which is quite odd now.

Attachments

• IMG_2037.jpeg
    IMG_2037.jpeg
    520.7 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_2038.jpeg
    IMG_2038.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 81
Back