01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Capturing snapshots from my Hikvision NVR?

Davesims

Hi, all, i am sorry to bother you guys but i was wondering if you could help with a question. I have Hikvision 7608NI-I2-8P Nvr along with a couple of 2385''s and 2355's, I am interested in having snapshots taken of evens and being stored on the NVR like i could do with my Dahua when i had it. I have noticed on the cams it will take full-res photos but on the NVR will only take relatively low res pics, do you if there is a workaround for this?

Hi there,

How are you taking the snapshots? Taking images from the live view on the NVR will do so in lower quality, especially if you have multiple cameras connected to it. The live stream isn't always in full resolution, while the recorded footage is.

In the playback screen, there should be a small camera icon on the right side of the bottom toolbar - clicking this should give you the full resolution screen captures.

Hi there,

How are you taking the snapshots? Taking images from the live view on the NVR will do so in lower quality, especially if you have multiple cameras connected to it. The live stream isn't always in full resolution, while the recorded footage is.

In the playback screen, there should be a small camera icon on the right side of the bottom toolbar - clicking this should give you the full resolution screen captures.
Hi Kyle thank you for the response.

i am referring to the snapshots that you can have taken upon an event , setup in the storage management area on the NVR

Hi there,

Further to the above the snapshots i am talking which can be set to take when an event occurs, the setting for this is under the capture section of storage management on the NVR which will only allow the pics to be captured at a max 704x 480 but if you look at the same setting son the camera it will allow max res.

Is there a way to get the NVR to capture at the max res?

So those settings only apply to captures that are to be sent by email via FTP, the fact that the max resolution is low here is due to restrictions on the size of email attachments.

I'm looking into an alternate way to capture at max resolution, I'll let you know if I find anything.

Looks like the capture parameters allow you to set it so maximum resolution when logged into the camera directly - so ignoring the NVR capture parameters and setting up all events/enabling snapshots on the camera only. Here is the full resolution option when logged into an 8MP turret:

1588238427264.png

The file size restrictions seem to be down to the NVR's processing limitations, so the above settings will still send the captures via email/FTP in full resolution, as they will be sent straight from the camera.

I believe aren't able to store on the NVR either, so you'll need on-board SD storage in the camera if you want them saved.

I'll come back with an update if I find it is, in fact, possible on an NVR!

Looks like the capture parameters allow you to set it so maximum resolution when logged into the camera directly - so ignoring the NVR capture parameters and setting up all events/enabling snapshots on the camera only. Here is the full resolution option when logged into an 8MP turret:

View attachment 3746

The file size restrictions seem to be down to the NVR's processing limitations, so the above settings will still send the captures via email/FTP in full resolution, as they will be sent straight from the camera.

I believe aren't able to store on the NVR either, so you'll need on-board SD storage in the camera if you want them saved.

Hey Kyle, that would be fantastic

I would have though the Hikvision would be more powerful than the Dahua 5216 which this feature is available but not sure the Dahua would be as reliable

Alternatively ,i suppose they could save to my Synology NAS? But would not be able to view em on the NVR is a time line type fashion.I am trying my hardest to replicate the things I like on the Dahua

So I've asked Hikvision about it who confirmed that the limitation is down to the NVR:

The image captured by the NVR will have a smaller size (4CIF) than the camera itself due to the NVR mechanism. Generally speaking, the limitation of the captured image by NVR is set to ensure that 3 images can be sent out via the NVR.

Apparently, they're also working on a new firmware that will allow this in the future. I cannot say when this might be though:

We have customized firmware to force the NVR to capture and send out larger images. I believe HQ is working on it to enhance NVR’s performance and make it baseline function in the future.

It may work on the Synology NAS, I don't have one to hand so it might be one you need to test for yourself and update us about. You need to install Synology's Surveillance Station if recording from CCTV cameras to NAS though.

So I've asked Hikvision about it who confirmed that the limitation is down to the NVR:

The image captured by the NVR will have a smaller size (4CIF) than the camera itself due to the NVR mechanism. Generally speaking, the limitation of the captured image by NVR is set to ensure that 3 images can be sent out via the NVR.

Apparently, they're also working on a new firmware that will allow this in the future. I cannot say when this might be though:

We have customized firmware to force the NVR to capture and send out larger images. I believe HQ is working on it to enhance NVR’s performance and make it baseline function in the future.

It may work on the Synology NAS, I don't have one to hand so it might be one you need to test for yourself and update us about. You need to install Synology's Surveillance Station if recording from CCTV cameras to NAS though.
Thanks, heaps man, its functionality I would definably use and i didn't really want to move over to Dahua

View attachment 3746

In order to email these captures direct from the cameras do they require SD storage or can these be emailed without an SD card fitted? Thank you.

Hi @rosswill,

You'll need an SD card, as the snapshots need to be saved somewhere before they can be emailed.

Hi! Sorry to tag along on this post, but using an NVR DS-7608NI-I2/8P if I use capture when watching live or playback, where are the images stored?

I can get them when using NVMS7000 on my PC.

Thanks

Hi @Gwladok

If you are accessing the NVR from Internet Explorer you should see on the local menu the default file paths for captures, and this can be changed to any file path you want.

The important thing is that you must be accessing the NVR using Internet Explorer in Administrator mode (right-click the IE icon on the desktop and select "Run as administrator" from the dropdown) because if you don't any footage or captures you try to download won't actually download.

Hi @Gwladok

If you are accessing the NVR from Internet Explorer you should see on the local menu the default file paths for captures, and this can be changed to any file path you want.

The important thing is that you must be accessing the NVR using Internet Explorer in Administrator mode (right-click the IE icon on the desktop and select "Run as administrator" from the dropdown) because if you don't any footage or captures you try to download won't actually download.
Hi Dan have you heard if we are any closer to being able to capture higher-res snapshots on the Hikvision as yet?

Hi @Davesims

No update on this I am afraid, we would recommend that you just keep checking to make sure your NVR is running the latest firmware as it is likely you will find the feature is added before Hikvision makes any announcement of its introduction. The latest firmware for the I-series NVR is v4.40.010

I have a DS-7604NI-K1/4P-B NVR with 1 Camera - (Acusense DS-2CD2386G2-I) connected to it. Both items have the latest firmware on them as of 22 May 2021. I have been trying to resolve the 3 images by email issue for almost a week and am ready to give up. I have noticed that when there is "limited light" intrusion events, I receive 1 image of around 400kb to 520kb sent by email via the NVR. During the day (even when it is a cloudy and overcast) i receive 3 small images of around 27kb each. The small images are next to useless and I would prefer just 1 large image.

I have tried many combination of changes and am at a loss to fix the problem. The people that I purchased the NVR & Camera from here in Australia have offered numerous suggestions - from Hikvision Technical Support - but nothing has worked so far. Surely this cannot be so complicated and if Hikvision can't resolve the issue who can?

Hi @BLOZ

We have discussed this issue with Hikvision support previously and the latest information we had was that Hikvision now only supports 1 image being sent via email and that there is no way to change this. We have never encountered 3 images being sent during the day and 1 during the night for the same event on the same camera.

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the reply.

Find attached "snip" of email showing 3 images (27kb each) being sent at 17:04 and then a "snip" of email showing 1 image (380kb) being sent at 17:54. Same camera and same smart event (line crossing).

Attachments

• email with 1 attached image (380kb) sent by email at 17_54.JPG
    email with 1 attached image (380kb) sent by email at 17_54.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 346
  • email with 3 attached images (27kb) sent by email at 17_04.JPG
    email with 3 attached images (27kb) sent by email at 17_04.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 332
Hi @BLOZ

We have discussed this issue with Hikvision support previously and the latest information we had was that Hikvision now only supports 1 image being sent via email and that there is no way to change this. We have never encountered 3 images being sent during the day and 1 during the night for the same event on the same camera.

Hi,

Sorry if I have started a duplicate/similar thread but, I agree, I am facing mysterious issues with these emailed images.

I have 2 exactly same cameras and exactly same set up, via POE, same exact settings in images, events and other parameters, on both cameras and one would send 3 x full resolution 4mp images, while other has been sending 3 useless under 30kb images.

If you see the thread I mentioned, it is very mysterious why 1 camera would send full resolution images in day and night and other would only send low resolution images.

This definitely needs investigating. Especially if you end up relying on images for evidence in worst case.

Back