01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Connecting my laptop to my NVR through a camera port?

KyleFZ6

Hi

If I've got my laptop connected to a camera port on an NVR, how would I connect to the browser for the NVR?

I know it can be done as when I had issues in the past tech support have dialled remotely and done this but I can't remember how they did it?

Thanks!

Hi @KyleFZ6 ... you shouldn't connect to a camera port on the NVR...connect the laptop to the same LAN that the NVR LAN port is connected to... then just load the NVR web GUI in the browser on your laptop...

For example, it the NVR LAN address is 192.168.1.10 and your laptop is 192.168.1.5, then just enter http://192.168.1.10 on the laptop's web browser.

As was previously indicated, it's not normally needed / recommended BUT there are times when it aids in troubleshooting problems in the isolated NVR POE network.

The basics:
  • plug your laptop into a free POE port on the NVR (i.e. NOT the LAN port)
  • verify the NVR served out a valid IP address to your laptop. If this failed, you'll need to determine WHY.
    • laptop not set to DHCP ?
    • DHCP Server task "not" running on the NVR ? It should be. Re-boot the NVR and try again.
    • bad ethernet cable ?
    • bad POE port on NVR ?
    • or ?
  • start the SADP tool on your laptop
  • SADP will "broadcast" on the isolated POE network.... and display any & all HIK devices it sees connected. e.g. NVR, cameras powered on, etc.
    • devices that are powered off OR has the Multicast feature turned OFF in network settings won't be shown. (it's ON by default).
  • look for the IP address of the NVR or camera in question. It should be on the screen.... most likely in the 192.168.xxx.yyy address range
    • if the IP address is in a bogus range..... use the SADP tool to correct the IP address & get all devices in the same IP address range....... OR login to that device and turn DHCP ON (preferred method for cameras). Then re-boot that device.
  • open up a Browser, and point the Browser to that IP address. You should get a login screen for that device.
HTH

Last edited:
There’s no issue plugging straight into an NVR port; no power will go to the laptop as it’s active PoE. Just set the laptop IP in the 192.168.254.xxx range then browse to 192.168.254.1

ahh... I see... I knew it was ok to plug a computer into a PoE port but have never needed to do so myself because my NVR is connected to the LAN... I can see how that would be a good way for technicians to connect if the NVR is not connected to a LAN... connecting the computer directly to the NVR's LAN port would require an Ethernet crossover cable...

I suspect @KyleFZ6 does have his system connected to a LAN as he mentioned "in the past tech support have dialed remotely"... but connecting to a PoE port is probably easier anyway.

ahh... I see... I knew it was ok to plug a computer into a PoE port but have never needed to do so myself because my NVR is connected to the LAN... I can see how that would be a good way for technicians to connect if the NVR is not connected to a LAN... connecting the computer directly to the NVR's LAN port would require an Ethernet crossover cable...

I suspect @KyleFZ6 does have his system connected to a LAN as he mentioned "in the past tech support have dialed remotely"... but connecting to a PoE port is probably easier anyway.
It can be handy. With plug and play, camera IP addresses are assigned in order of connection (regardless of channel number) starting at 192.168.254.2. If everything is connected in order they’ll be .2, .3 and so on. But once cameras are switched between ports or cameras replaced, the IP addresses with plug and play get messed up, as an address is never reused. I find it convenient to use a spare PoE port especially when there’s no local monitor connected.

You don’t need a crossover for direct connection either as it happens. Most network interfaces do the crossover automatically.

Back