01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Converting Hikvision footage with Handbrake - frustrations

jaymorgan

Hiya,

I use a 2023 Macbook pro to create youtube videos.

I need to export my NVR footage and use it in my videos. I have this NVR: DS-7604NI-K1/4P(B)

When I export my H.264 footage from my NVR, it won't open in any editing programe (Premier Pro or Davinci resolve). I also can't view the footage in VLC. (I can view the footage in VSPlayer, but the mac version of this program doesn't have a converter.)

I use handbrake to convert the footage, but it takes a *very* long time, and the resulting file is huge.
  • Can anyone tell me what settings to use in Handbrake will give me the fastest conversion to a useable format please?
  • Or Is there a way to fix the codec issue without re-encoding the whole clip?
  • Or is there another solution?
Thanks for any help.

What error do you get from VLC? What version of VLC do you have? I only ask as I can open HikVision exported videos in VLC from various types of HikVision NVR/cameras.

Today I tried VLC v3.0.19 on Linux as well as the universal "app" version of VLC v3.1.2.0 on Windows 11. The app version gives me a weird error if I try and open a file from a network share so for ages I thought VLC could not open HikVision videos, and only recently found the error was due to network, if I copy the file to a local disk I can play in VLC app on Windows.

Maybe we can determine exactly why your VLC is not playing. Maybe post the exact file/codec details shown in Handbrake?
On my example file today VLC says:
Codec: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (h264)
Decoded format: Planar 4:2:0 YUV full scale
Colour primaries: ITU-R BT.709
Colour transfer function: ITU-R BT.709
Colour space: ITU-R BT.709 Range
Chroma location: Left

Back