01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

DS-7608NI-I2/8P firmware update - reboot loop?

dondee123

Hi, I would be grate full if any once can let me know the steps to down grade my HIK vision nvr - DS-7608NI-I2/8P firmware. Last week I update the firmware to
Firmware_V4.61.025_220905. Following this the the NVR rebooted is in a constant reboot cycle of around 30 seconds. I have read, that this firmware version has issues and could cause reboot problem. MY DVR has been working fine for 5 years and was built in 2017 and sadly any warranty has expired a few years ago. The NVR only stays on the network for around 20 seconds before it reboots, I believe this is not long enough to carry out any firmware downgrade. I want some advice whether: I can down downgrade the software in this time with special software or not. Can the motherboard be replaced or repaired fairly cheaply. I am not happy with HIKvision.

Hi, I would be grate full if any once can let me know the steps to down grade my HIK vision nvr - DS-7608NI-I2/8P firmware. Last week I update the firmware to
Firmware_V4.61.025_220905. Following this the the NVR rebooted is in a constant reboot cycle of around 30 seconds. I have read, that this firmware version has issues and could cause reboot problem. MY DVR has been working fine for 5 years and was built in 2017 and sadly any warranty has expired a few years ago. The NVR only stays on the network for around 20 seconds before it reboots, I believe this is not long enough to carry out any firmware downgrade. I want some advice whether: I can down downgrade the software in this time with special software or not. Can the motherboard be replaced or repaired fairly cheaply. I am not happy with HIKvision.
I have the same NVR / firmware release and have no problems.

How long has it been since you last updated the firmware? If its a very long time then you could've missed earlier firmware updates with key changes. I know it is too late now but the best place for Hikvision UK firmware updates is here

I've seen discussions about recovering from firmware update failures all these were from many years ago. Switch your NVR off and disconnect it from the network, then switch on. Leave it on to see if it stops rebooting, during reboots watch the NVR monitor for any text prompts asking you to change the startup boot sequence. Post a video / pictures here.

I'll open my NVR up and see if there are any internal reset buttons on the motherboard.

David

@dondee123 following on from my earlier post.

if the reboot loop stops, your NVR monitor may only show a flashing cursor. This may indicate that the NVR has booted into a safe recovery mode.

I seem to recall there was an issue with I series models and this reboot issue. It affected specifically 8 channel variants and it was determined to be a hardware fault in a particular batch I think.

@Dan @Kyle - could you confirm? - many thanks.

I seem to recall there was an issue with I series models and this reboot issue. It affected specifically 8 channel variants and it was determined to be a hardware fault in a particular batch I think.

@Dan @Kyle - could you confirm? - many thanks.
I found the post that @Kyle made previously. It seems to indicate that it affects 2018 models:

It may be a completely separate issue if the firmware on your model prior to upgrade was higher than 4.61.000

It may be a completely separate issue if the firmware on your model prior to upgrade was higher than 4.61.000
a few weeks ago I went through 11 FW upgrades that included 4.61.000. If my NVR serial number includes the YMD it is 20180515. Maybe I was lucky.

Hi All, I can confirm the firmware I had previously that working was V4.51.006 build210708. To be honest I have upgraded the firmware on the nvr a number of times previously but never followed the route of applying all the pervious firmware updates until I reach the latest. I have had a look at the motherboard and there is no reset options or buttons. I disconnected the 2 hard drives and cameras for 24 hours but the NVR reboots every 30 seconds and restarts. I am not sure i would be able to update the firmware by any means with in 10-20 seconds and feel I will brick the NVR ( look like it already is). It does show on the network for 20 seconds before it restarts but I cannot see the pattern to log in. I will send some video.

Do you think the following would work -
I'm not sure TBH. Reading that linked thread again, it seems to indicate that the affected units ['a small number'] were sold in 2015 and that Hikvsiion support said they would repair out of warranty but end users would have to go via their supplier. That's not much help, as your issue could be something completely different.

Do you think the following would work -
I believe your NVR is "bricked" and the link you posted may help. What it says makes sense to me as I refurbished a container of Cisco routers and switches, a lot of that was via the rs232 serial interface to stop the reboot loop and reflash the firmware.

Do you have the tools?

Hi @dondee123

When did you originally purchase the NVR? Was it around 2015/2016?

We had a few cases last year of customers reporting boot looping after updating firmware and after further investigation with Hikvision support they confirmed that a small batch of early 7608NI-I2 NVRs had a hardware fault that was being triggered by the firmware update and could only be resolved by RMA'ing the faulty NVR back to Hikvision for the motherboard to be repaired/replaced, see more information in the below thread:

It does sound like your NVR is one of those affected by this boot loop bug, unfortunately:
I found the post that @Kyle made previously. It seems to indicate that it affects 2018 models:

We've found it to affect 2018 models, but I wouldn't be surprised if 2017 models are affected too.
The NVRs that we know are affected all have 9-digit serial numbers beginning with "589", so if yours is similar to this, this is probably the issue.

Hikvision has been repairing affected NVRs for us despite them being outside their warranty period because it's a problem caused by their firmware, so your supplier should be able to facilitate a repair if you explain what's happened to them.

If the NVR does stay online for long enough, you can try rolling the firmware back to V4.60.005 build 220108 in the Batch Configuration Tool, which I feel is the quickest way to apply firmware updates/downgrades, but if not, I'm afraid that it will be a case of sending it off for repair.

It does sound like your NVR is one of those affected by this boot loop bug, unfortunately:

We've found it to affect 2018 models, but I wouldn't be surprised if 2017 models are affected too.
The NVRs that we know are affected all have 9-digit serial numbers beginning with "589", so if yours is similar to this, this is probably the issue.

Hikvision has been repairing affected NVRs for us despite them being outside their warranty period because it's a problem caused by their firmware, so your supplier should be able to facilitate a repair if you explain what's happened to them.

If the NVR does stay online for long enough, you can try rolling the firmware back to V4.60.005 build 220108 in the Batch Configuration Tool, which I feel is the quickest way to apply firmware updates/downgrades, but if not, I'm afraid that it will be a case of sending it off for repair.
Hi I have this problem with my box SN 5897... sometimes it'll stay on but if I go online and press anything it just reboots. Been on to the shop I brought it from and told him the problem like described on here but he just ignored me and pointed me in the direction of the EU portal to download the firmware but surely this is the same and the UK Ireland firmware I have already downloaded. Now using really old firmware to run the system but can't check cameras externally over internet as it won't go online - tried everything just want to smash it now - is there any hope where can I get help??

Hi @trinitron

If your model has that serial number then it is potentially the same issue.

Unfortunately, we can handle replacement/repair for our own customers only. You will need to report this issue/request the repair via your original seller (which I guess is unlikely) or Hikvision Support directly.

Hello Dan

Thank you for the reply. I have contacted Hikvision it's a shame the retailer was not helpful and ignored my questions but hopefully Hikvision will be able to assist.

Hello Dan

Thank you for the reply. I have contacted Hikvision it's a shame the retailer was not helpful and ignored my questions but hopefully Hikvision will be able to assist.
After contacting Hikvision and waiting over a week for a reply they have disappointing washed their hands of me saying I am not an installer and they will not help me. Ridiculous - if anyone knows any software or handware that will fix this please let me know. I don't want to buy a new one unless changing manufacturer all together! Help please

Back