01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Ubuntu 22.04.4 access to my NVR? [DS-7608NI-I2/8P]

PoweredByVeg

Hi,

Im just about to install Ubuntu 22.04.4 onto my laptop to get rid of Windows 11. Just wondered, will I still have access to my NVR (DS-7608NI-I2/8P) or do I have to download the plugin? The NVR has the most recent firmware update.

Not sure if a plug in is still required but I could be wrong and if this is the case will I only be able to use a Windows based OS to access the NVR homepage.

Many thanks

Paul

Hikvision have no tools / software that works on Linux.
They are even dropping some support for Macs!

I guess that you are considering whether you can still use a browser running on Linux?
I'm afraid we don't know.
It's an outlier / we have no experience with it, nor feedback from users that I am aware of.

Some NVRs have reached a firmware level that allows them to be operated from modern browsers without a plugin.
It's probably best to get your NVR and cameras onto the very latest firmware version whilst you still have a Windows option.

Let us know how you get on.

It's probably not applicable for your laptop, as I guess you will not want to record your CCTV system onto your laptop, but Zone Minder CCTV software for Linux has been around for many years and may offer you some options:

I’m just going to do it, I can access it on my phone anyway and through the NVR.
Worst case, I just reinstall Windows 11.
Thanks for your reply.

No native Hikvision Linux tools available as far as I know.

If your are asking will you be able to see live views on Linux browsers - I can't really answer, in my experience live view from some cameras firmware work without a plugin on Linux and/or windows and some just don't (with or without a plugin). The plugin it prompts to download is a windows executable.

Back