01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Email Notifications Have Stopped Working?

catwoman

Hello, I have one Hikvision camera and a couple of weeks ago I stopped getting email notifications for any line crossing or motion detection alerts via my Outlook account.
I’ve checked the forum and elsewhere for a solution and changed the email settings on the Hikvision configuration area to a Gmail account, both with and without 2 step verification, but no success. I’ve also created a new Outlook and Yahoo account but still no luck. All email settings generate a successful outcome when I send a test email. I haven’t changed anything else on configuration so I’m stumped!
Any suggestions appreciated, it’s driving me mad

Hi @catwoman

Just to confirm, do you actually receive the test emails?

Do you see any motion or line crossing detections if you go to Configuration>System>Maintenance>Log in a web browser and search the logs?

Also, on the event settings, make sure that the "Send Email" box is still ticked under the Linkage Method tab.

Hi @catwoman

Just to confirm, do you actually receive the test emails?

Do you see any motion or line crossing detections if you go to Configuration>System>Maintenance>Log in a web browser and search the logs?

Also, on the event settings, make sure that the "Send Email" box is still ticked under the Linkage Method tab.
Yes I receive the test emails. I’ve just checked the log and there’s a long list that’s up to date. The ‘send email’ box is ticked.
Thanks

I'm not sure what else could be, I'm afraid. Are DNS servers still set? Try 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4?

Is your email address longer than 32 characters long? We've found that this can cause issues with Outlook notifications before.

What's the model number of the camera and which firmware do you have on it?

Power-cycling or even hard-resetting the camera can sometimes fix unusual issues like this too.

I’ve changed the DNS servers but it hasn’t made any difference, and my email address is less than 32 characters...
Model number: DS-2CD2385FWD-I
Firmware version: V5.5.80 build 18091
Unless the firmware is automatically updated, I’ve not done it manually. Would that make a difference?

I’m not sure how to power-cycle or do a hard reset, if you could let me know how to do it I’ll give it a go :)

Problem solved - I rebooted the device and email notifications are being received again!! Thanks for your patience Kyle

Ah brilliant, thank you for the update :)

If you ever need to do so in the future, there are instructions here on how to hard-reset the camera:

I would definitely update the firmware on your camera too, which should improve the performance and security.
V5.6.6 210625 is the latest version, but update in these incremental steps to make sure everything installs properly:

1659530278036.png

Here are our instructions for carrying out each update:

Back