01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Getting the unknown IP of camera

phsecurity

Hello,

Apologies if this is in the wrong thread..

I have a client who has a preinstalled system, his cameras are unbranded Onvif. I’ve no idea what make his NVR was.

His NVR has packed in and won’t boot. He has purchased a hikvision NVR as a replacement, as it Onvif compliant. I have the job of fitting it for him. Problem is I can’t find his cameras on the network. As his old machine won’t boot I can’t get the details from it. I’ve tried connecting the camera to a switch and running angryip but no joy.. it’s like trying to guess a 12 pin.

I do understand that even if I do find the IP address the default password may have been changed locking me out permanently.

Can anyone offer advice on how to get the IP address of his cameras.

Thanks
Paul.

It's pretty tough to do when you don't even know the manufacturer, and therefore whose utility software to use, to search for what MAC addresses and be able to assign new IP addresses.
And, if they were previously plugged into an NVR, then the cameras probably don't even have IP addresses set that are relevant to your current LAN's domain range. Hence, they don't join the network / appear in scans.

Is there a label on/within the camera that shows a MAC address?
With this you can search for a manufacturer:
Home | MAC Vendor Lookup Tool & API | MACVendors.com

Do the cameras have a reset button?
The HikVision NVR may be able to add them if they've been reset to default (try one only, it's a slim chance as adding third-party cameras can be far from straight forward - https://forum.use-ip.co.uk/threads/adding-a-samsung-ip-camera-to-a-hikvision-nvr.1559/ )

Thanks for the reply. I do have the software utility, but when i plugged my laptop into the same (POE) switch as the camera, and scanned for it the software never picked it up. I'm not sure if the cameras have a label or reset reset, I never looked and haven't been back onsite since, but will check next time I'm up.. See the image below if that is any help?

Thanks Paul.
26653671_1652414801483514_934470524_o.jpg
26655584_1652414794816848_1005691089_o (1).jpg

I've also come across this datasheet. Doesn't help much though.

Attachments

• IN20-iSAS1.3MBF4MM.pdf
    554 KB · Views: 821
We use Wireshark in this situation.

-Download Wireshark
-Run/open the Software application
-Select the interface that you wish to capture packets (Ethernet/eth0)
-Start capturing

-Connect Ethernet cable from laptop to LAN port of POE injector
-connect IP camera to POE port of POE injector to power camera

once the camera has started you will see lots of captured packets. You need to lookout for something like this,

Destination= Broadcast
Protocol=Arp
who has xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx? (Gateway IP) Tell xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (The IP address of the camera we are looking for)

You can then change your Ethernet adapter options and set your laptop IPV4 address in the same range as the discovered IP camera address to allow access via web browser.

Hikvision NVRs are nutritious for being problematic connecting to third party IP cameras. I tend to find the more "universal" NVRs (IE unbranded, or not a big player) can be better if you would like to keep the existing cameras. Ive had many a headache over this!

Funnily enough, I believe ive come across this camera before, and believe it was paired to a "xmeye" NVR. Not that it helps now!

You can get various IP camera discovery programs - I tend to use CMS which is a really terrible CCTV NVR software for windows. What it does do though, is ALWAYS discover unknown cameras. It is one of those headaches you come accross being an installer!

Ive just checked your datasheet and it does list the chinese CMS software.

Let me know if you need a copy - this SHOULD be able to reset any password stored on them. They are indeed netsurveillance chinese stuff.

And when you have found the IP address using CMS - you MIGHT be able to use this software to reset the password

Attachments

• ResetTool.zip
    291.1 KB · Views: 935
Just to update, I had no luck in getting the IP, the customer has contacted the original supplier and they are trying to get him sorted.

Thanks for your help everyone.

P.

Back