01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Have lost access from the iPads that were attached to my Hikvision system?

scooby73466

Centurion!
Trusted Member
I have a fairly simple 3 camera system for our property which all feed into a recently replaced Hikvision NVR. I have a desktop pc which is cabled directly to the NVR, also a stand-alone monitor connected similarly. They are both working as they should. But I also have 3 iPads that were set up to receive active camera views via Wi-Fi but they suddenly stopped receiving the signal 2 days ago. Coincidentally, on that day we were victims of power failure on 3 occasions. They were just very short outages, no more than 4 seconds each time.

I have checked my router (EE Brightbox) and I can see that the iPads and another couple of devices are connected to it via Wi-Fi as and when they are being used and they are all working as they should with regard to gaining access to the Internet etc. but the iPads are not receiving the camera data. My desktop pc is connected to the router via cable and is named so I can see it. My NVR has a cable to the router so presumably it should also show as a LAN connected device to the router but it doesn’t.

Please see below a screen shot of the Status screen of my router. I have blurred some of the info. I am not sure what is sensitive information and what isn’t. Am I correct in thinking that the NVR should be showing as a LAN connected device and that if it was connected it would be able to transmit the images of my cameras to the iPads ? Thanks in advance to anyone who is able to help and/or advise me.
Router connects(2).jpg

Yes the NVR should show as connected to the LAN in the currently connected devices. How is the NVR connected to the router? Directly by cable, using a WiFi extender/adaptor or by using plug in power line adaptors?

On the NVR access the menu and take a look in the network settings. It will show the IP address that is set (it's ok to show the internal 192.168.x.x addresses on here they're not 'sensitive' information as they're behind your external router address). If the DHCP box is ticked, the IP addresses may be greyed out and uneditable but still readable. DHCP means that the NVR gets its address automatically from the NVR. The IP address should be 192.168.x.x and the first three segments should match those listed in your router. If it's not showing 192.168.x.x but is showing 169.254.x.x then it has failed to obtain an address from the router. If so check that the device is physically connected (the network port LEDs on both the NVR and what it's connected to should be illuminated)

Firstly may I express my thanks and gratitude to you for responding to my problem. It is much appreciated. Thank you. I have looked on the NVR>Network settings but it might help if we deal with the simplest things (to me) first. My NVR is connected to my router via a cable but neither ports are illuminated. I have removed both plugs and re-inserted them and they are still not showing any illumination in the way that the camera plugs are where they enter the rear of the NVR. This in itself might be a cause for concern.

One month ago I had to replace my NVR. I purchased the replacement from the same company that I purchased the original system from but I have since discovered that what was recently supplied is not the latest model. According to my recent invoice I have now got a DS-7604NI-K1/4P – Hikvision DS-7604NI-K1/4P 4K capable 4 channel NVR with 4 port POE – Up to 8MP with 2TB HDD. According to another topic on this forum this is not the latest model NVR that is available. Me being the suspicious person that I am I wonder if the replacement was something that had been in stock for some time ? The other simple thing is that when I replaced the NVR it came with new cables for the power, desktop pc, and router. I think the next thing for me to do is to replace the new NVR/Router cable with the old one – just in case that has malfunctioned.

I have attached a screen shot of the router, taken this evening. I have still blurred some items out for fear of releasing sensitive information. If you need to see any of that information I presume I could PM it to you. I have learned how to name attached devices this evening which helps..

Thank you again for your help.

Router-3.jpg

Attachments

• Router-3.jpg
    Router-3.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 99
I wouldn’t be too concerned about the model number. There are only three 4 channel models available as far as I'm aware. The one you have, one that's designed for use over 4G wireless network and the 7604NXI model that has AcuSense. They're all K series models so performance will be the same. The NXI model has the AcuSense alarm filtering that can be used if your cameras are not AcuSense enabled but that's about it. The K series has had its hardware revised over the years so although the part number has remained the same, the newer revisions continue to receive firmware updates.

The port LEDs at each end of the link should definitely be lit. Firstly try another network cable as you mentioned. If you still get no LEDs move the connection for the NVR into a different router port in case the issue is with the router. If you still get no link LEDs it's possible that the power cuts have corrupted something - possibly the NVR hadn't completed booting after the first outage when the power went off again. I'd try an orderly shutdown (not a reboot). Click the standby icon in the upper right corner, 'Shutdown' then wait for the pop up message to power down (takes about 30 secs or less to appear). Switch it off at the rear (or plug), wait a minute then re power it and let it boot up fully before checking for the link LEDs again.

Thank you again for all your amazing help. I am in the U.K. and it is now 10.30 pm but I will be right back to deal with your suggestions tomorrow morning. Thank you.

Back again. I have just swapped the new NVR/Router cable and am now using the one that worked O.K. with my old NVR but I still haven't got any lights on the relevant ports on either the NVR or the router. I changed over to a different port on the router but still no lights or connection. Nothing is showing on my router, please see the attached screen shot. I guess it's time to get into my NVR now, I think it must have been the power cuts that have corrupted something.

Router-3.jpg

You suggested that I do an orderly shutdown but not a rebott but unfortunatly I did a reboot a couple of days ago. But I will follow your instructions and try the orderly shutdown and report back. Thanks again for your help.

Back again. I have just swapped the new NVR/Router cable and am now using the one that worked O.K. with my old NVR but I still haven't got any lights on the relevant ports on either the NVR or the router. I changed over to a different port on the router but still no lights or connection. Nothing is showing on my router, please see the attached screen shot. I guess it's time to get into my NVR now, I think it must have been the power cuts that have corrupted something.

View attachment 8999

You suggested that I do an orderly shutdown but not a rebott but unfortunatly I did a reboot a couple of days ago. But I will follow your instructions and try the orderly shutdown and report back. Thanks again for your help.
It's starting to sound like the network interface has failed, I've never seen that happen before. I'm wondering if during the power issues there was a surge or something that's caused a hardware failure. Other than a full reset of the device which will require you to set it up again I'm out of ideas. That would be a last resort before getting your supplier to replace the unit under warranty (I'd be keeping quiet about the repeated power failures to avoid them stating that it should be protected by a UPS to get out of dealing with it)

It's starting to sound like the network interface has failed, I've never seen that happen before. I'm wondering if during the power issues there was a surge or something that's caused a hardware failure. Other than a full reset of the device which will require you to set it up again I'm out of ideas. That would be a last resort before getting your supplier to replace the unit under warranty (I'd be keeping quiet about the repeated power failures to avoid them stating that it should be protected by a UPS to get out of dealing with it)
Thank you for your continued help. I think between us we have fixed the problem thanks to you. I logged into my NVR and went to Configuration>Network and the DHCP box was clear. So I clicked on it and left a tick in the box and saved it. I then went into the router and lo and behold I found that I had another LAN device attached. Not only that but the cameras were all showing on the iPads ! I seem to remember reading somewhere that the DHCP should be clear and so after a while I went back in and unticked the box and saved it all again. To my delight I found that the iPad cameras still worked after I had done that and so I think the problem is solved.

We rely on our camera system very much. We have audible alarms all around the farm house and buildings and it is so handy to grab an iPad if any of the alarms suddenly go off. I know it is all being recorded but it helps if we can see what is happening as it happens. Rural crime is a big issue nowadays and I am indebted to your patience and help. Thank you once again. I am extremely grateful.

Thank you for your continued help. I think between us we have fixed the problem thanks to you. I logged into my NVR and went to Configuration>Network and the DHCP box was clear. So I clicked on it and left a tick in the box and saved it. I then went into the router and lo and behold I found that I had another LAN device attached. Not only that but the cameras were all showing on the iPads ! I seem to remember reading somewhere that the DHCP should be clear and so after a while I went back in and unticked the box and saved it all again. To my delight I found that the iPad cameras still worked after I had done that and so I think the problem is solved.

We rely on our camera system very much. We have audible alarms all around the farm house and buildings and it is so handy to grab an iPad if any of the alarms suddenly go off. I know it is all being recorded but it helps if we can see what is happening as it happens. Rural crime is a big issue nowadays and I am indebted to your patience and help. Thank you once again. I am extremely grateful.
That's good, glad you have it sorted.

Back