01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Having issues getting settings right?

cage123au

Hi, I recently installed a new Hikvision DS-2CD2686G2-IZSU/SL

Anyway, I am very happy with the daytime images, but not so much with the night. I think it is just a matter of getting the right settings, so I was hoping members could advise what could be wrong
with my current ones.
I have attached a PDF file showing the current settings along along with Day and Night images.
The night images seem to have this film grain effect, almost like the protective cover that came with the camera had over the lens (which it doesn't). I mainly got the CCTV as I wanted to pick up number plates which it does OK, but not so much for humans. The guy in the car is about 10mts from CCTV and the other shot of the guy is about 25mts from CCTV.

I'm hoping the attachments work, if more info is required let me know. I hope this post breaks no rules, will delete if it does. I have been a long time reader here, I just don;t post much. Anyway, any guidance would be appreciated. I put the settings into a pdf document, I can break them out of people are hesitant to download it given the way the world is these days. There are 9 setting captures in the pdf.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Current CCTV Settings.pdf
    802.2 KB · Views: 176
  • Day.jpg
    Day.jpg
    580.2 KB · Views: 97
  • Night_1.jpg
    Night_1.jpg
    286.1 KB · Views: 96
  • Night_2.jpg
    Night_2.jpg
    337.4 KB · Views: 90
Hi @cage123au

The grain you are seeing at night is 'Digital Noise', noise occurs when the sensitivity of the sensor is being pushed to its limit.

The camera you have is an IR model which means its sensor is optimised for capturing images at night using IR, by forcing the camera into day mode 24/7 you are pushing the limit of what the camera's sensor can capture.

We would recommend playing around with the Exposure time and WDR/HLC settings, if you change the exposure time to 1/75 or 1/100 this will likely reduce the noise as the sensor is not staying open for so long but this will also mean the scene will get darker. If you combine exposure changes with the WDR/HLC settings you might get the right results, WDR (Wide Dynamic Range) will give you more detail in the darkest/brightest parts of the scene (e.g. the headlights & the shadowy area inside the car) and HLC (High Light Compensation) will reduce bright, glaring light like the headlights.

Play around with these settings and you should see some reduction in the noise, but the only way to (almost) completely remove the noise would be to switch the camera back to IR mode at night (if you use IR mode and enable HLC this should reduce the glare of the IR off the numberplate and possibly make it readable).

Hi @cage123au

The grain you are seeing at night is 'Digital Noise', noise occurs when the sensitivity of the sensor is being pushed to its limit.

The camera you have is an IR model which means its sensor is optimised for capturing images at night using IR, by forcing the camera into day mode 24/7 you are pushing the limit of what the camera's sensor can capture.

We would recommend playing around with the Exposure time and WDR/HLC settings, if you change the exposure time to 1/75 or 1/100 this will likely reduce the noise as the sensor is not staying open for so long but this will also mean the scene will get darker. If you combine exposure changes with the WDR/HLC settings you might get the right results, WDR (Wide Dynamic Range) will give you more detail in the darkest/brightest parts of the scene (e.g. the headlights & the shadowy area inside the car) and HLC (High Light Compensation) will reduce bright, glaring light like the headlights.

Play around with these settings and you should see some reduction in the noise, but the only way to (almost) completely remove the noise would be to switch the camera back to IR mode at night (if you use IR mode and enable HLC this should reduce the glare of the IR off the numberplate and possibly make it readable).
Thanks Dan, I will look into this, appreciate you taking the time to respond. I will let you know the outcome good or bad.

Reactions: Dan
Back