01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

DS7604NI-K1/4P (B) worth upgrading?

mtv

Hi

I have a NVR DS7604NI-K1/4P(B), a HD is installed. Latest firmware V4.30.096 and i doubt there will be any newer introduced for this one.

I have 3 cams, DS-2CD2047G2-LU (2 * G3, 1* G5)

Is it worth upgrading to a DS7608NXI-I2/8P/S (E) or DS7608NI-M2/8P?

i know Hikvision is rapidly changing hardware so buying now an (E) could mean next month EOL.

I would like to have the possibility to auto shutdown the NVR when the power on the UPS is going to low. For my current model i don't have any options to remote shutdown this device with SNMP like described in here : https://www.hikvision.com/content/dam/hikvision/mena/support/sira/howto/NVR-with-UPS-SNMP-.pdf

do the mentioned upgrade models do have this possibility?

What is a wise plan to do?

Hi @mtv

If you wanted to add more cameras/upgrade to 8MP cameras and/or wanted to be able to simultaneously live view all 3 x 4MP cameras then yes upgrading the NVR would be a good idea, as you already have AcuSense ColorVu cameras we would recommend the DS-7608NI-M2/8P as the only big advantage of the AcuSense NVR is that you can apply AcuSense features to non-AcuSense NVRs and you don't have any of those.

In regards to the shutdown feature, I can't say for sure that either of the above NVR models supports this feature as we've never heard of it or used it before but the M-series NVR does support SNMP and runs firmware newer than the v4 firmware mentioned in the document you shared above so I think there is a good chance this NVR will support that feature.

Reactions: mtv
Hi @Dan

thanks for your prompt reply. Not yet decided to add more cams. It was more the plan to get the option to have newer options and to get better support against power fail. So I'll look at your proposed model.

Reactions: Dan
@mtv

I would hold-off upgrading to a newer M-series for a little while ~ Hikvision have just released new firmware to introduce the new V5 GUI on those NVRs and I think it's fair to say that there are significant issues to resolve:
Firmware - Latest HikVision Firmware for M-Series NVRs (with 5.0 GUI) - V5.01.060_240110

So, I'd wait for the dust to hopefully settle / for the factory to ship boxes factory-loaded with that latest GUI and its issues resolved.

Many thanks for the info on linking Hikvision NVRs to UPS shutdowns.
I have never seen this document / method before.
It's a common feature to be able to link NAS boxes to a UPS and achieve a graceful shutdown as the batteries run-down.
But, we have never found a way of achieving with Hikvision NVRs before.

I'll take what you've discovered there and share it in a specific new thread to make folks aware; hopefully somebody will have the time and appropriate NVR model / firmware and UPS to prove it :)

Thanks.

Hi @Phil

thanks for your "warning" to wait for a while. I'll keep an eye on the topic you shared.

You're welcome, that is why i shared it. Well that is indeed a good plan to share it with others. My Synology is working fine via the USB connector and the SNMP method doesn't work on my NVR unfortunately. I was able to login via SSH, but the NVR didn't respond to the SNMP itself.

I am in the same boat and would like to see options to replace my DS-7808NI-I2
Upgrade to M series or should I wait for upcoming NVR's this year? I would like to opt for the most recent devices due to the rapid hardware lifecycles Hikvision applies.

Upgrade to M series or should I wait for upcoming NVR's this year?
Unfortunately, we get virtually zero insight into Hikvision's product launch roadmap.
We're a close Partner, and speak to them daily.
I'd go as far as to say that Hikvision UK (at least those people that we can access) get very little/late notice of product launches from Hikvision HQ China.

So, as far as can be known (until something new appears), the M-series remains the best bet for your upgrade path.
However, as per my comments at #4 above, I would recommend monitoring developments with the new V5 GUI and waiting for those issues to be resolved before upgrading your I-series NVR.

IMO to upgrade now would unfortunately get you involved in painful evolution (as bugs and issues get resolved) which can probably be skipped if you wait a few more months ...
To speak even more plainly - unfortunately, end-users are now acting as Beta testers with the first V5 firmware release :/
[which sees them waste a lot of their time, lose features, repeatedly update and test :( ]

Back