01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hik-Connect Hik-Connect Playback Problem / Stream Selection?

Michaelangelo

Hi,

I have an issue with Hik-Connect app (as many other seem to also) with Playback presenting the error 'Network is unstable. Connecting again....', where it never does actually connect again. This happens when on the same LAN as the NVR, on external WIFI and on 4G.

This only happens when playing back daytime video, if I move the timeline to a time where it's night (black and white) it works fine

The system is a Hikvision NVR DS-7716NI-I4 / 16P(B) on vV4.60.005 build 220108 (Latest at time of writing) , with Seven 8Mp cameras connected and it fails when trying to playback just one of them at a a time.
Hik-Connect on iPhone, v5.1.0
Cameras (Mixed Turret ones, but all seem to have the issue) e.g. two of them are: DS-2CD2386G2-ISU/SL

The Network connection (as just tested) is 35Mbps Download, 9.6Mbps Upload

I realise this has been posted elsewhere but there seems to be little other solution than moving to the recommended upload bandwidth of around 20Mbps, which I personally think is a bit crazy for viewing a small image on a phone (it shouldn't need so much). The odd part particularly is that day, or night, live viewing works (in both basic and HD) so I do wonder if something else is either a miss (is it erroneously needing more bandwidth) or it's down to the way Hikvision streams the playback which poses the question:

Does Hikvision use the main (High def) stream when playing back a video via Hik-Connect and if so, is there any way to select or force it to use a sub-stream for this remote playback ?

fwiw, I've tried reducing the recorded packet size to the minimum of 5 minutes incase it was downloading the whole file rather than actually streaming but that made no difference.

Any suggestions on how this can be fixed without losing main stream recording quality or is the only known solution to increase the upload bandwidth?

Cheers

Last edited:
In way of an update, I reduced the main stream right down to lowest resolution, lowest quality, low frame rate of 1fps, and even reduced the bitrate - still the same issue. I even tried different encoding and got the same. I did however manage to get a more recent firmware version from Hikvision (even though the update said it was on the latest version) and manually applied it - this version is now available (as of yesterday) on the download portal. The playback now works for daytime as well as night time for new and older recordings that didn't previously work. Even at highest quality and increased frame rate it now works, however with the new firmware, the web interface no longer works for me atall in Chrome (login page is blank). It does however still work in Edge (and Safari but without video) so I can live with that. The version I updated to was V4.61.025_220905

In way of an update, I reduced the main stream right down to lowest resolution, lowest quality, low frame rate of 1fps, and even reduced the bitrate - still the same issue. I even tried different encoding and got the same. I did however manage to get a more recent firmware version from Hikvision (even though the update said it was on the latest version) and manually applied it - this version is now available (as of yesterday) on the download portal. The playback now works for daytime as well as night time for new and older recordings that didn't previously work. Even at highest quality and increased frame rate it now works, however with the new firmware, the web interface no longer works for me atall in Chrome (login page is blank). It does however still work in Edge (and Safari but without video) so I can live with that. The version I updated to was V4.61.025_220905
Hi, I have the exact same problem. My app states it is the latest software version, but I still encounter the same problem. Any advice?

Hi, I have the exact same problem. My app states it is the latest software version, but I still encounter the same problem. Any advice?

Attachments

• 28C91CAA-701B-423F-9D39-AD83FB7490BF.jpeg
    28C91CAA-701B-423F-9D39-AD83FB7490BF.jpeg
    44.3 KB · Views: 221
Hi Nicole,

Whilst the problem is apparent in the app, it's not the app that's causing the issue, it's the stream provided by the NVR. The CCTV Firmware Update Check function doesn't seem to get the very latest version. You can download the latest NVR firmware the below web URL onto your PC and then upload into the webportal for the NVR (you may need to unzip it first). At time of writing the latest version is the same as the one I used and it worked: V4.61.025_220905

If you have a different NVR model then just navigate back from the above url using the links near the top of the page or use the link below to see the NVR directory:

I also did the same with each camera's firmware but it was the NVR firmware update that eventually resolved the issue - and has worked ever since I posted the findings.
If this does solve it for you then please do post back here such that others know that this fix has hopefully and finally put this issue to bed !

Back