01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hik-Connect Hik-Connect, trying to understand the security aspect (or lack there of).... and use of it VS IVMS 4500

MetalEarth

Hi, I have been looking into Hik-Connect and other remote access options.

Hik-Connect has been billed as a "more secure" method to access devices. Perhaps I am getting the "more secure" impression from Hik's marketing. Either way, I am wondering if this is simply not true, or I don't understand how it works. It appears the port 80 (http) and 8000 (server) still need to be forwarded and open to the outside world. You can turn on UPnP or set it manually. As a general rule I do not run UPnP routers. So it must be done manually in my case. I suppose if you just want to use the Hik-Connect app to view the cameras you do not need to forward 80 - only 8000.

I understand that in the setup you need to add the SN of the NVR to the account and create a verification code to be used when you add a device. I think this simply means other people using Hik-Connect can't access your devices. While nice - that is not really security from a port standpoint. More of an accounting/management tool right?

Is this just a glorified dynamic DNS service? I don't understand how this is any different that any other traditional port-forward that exposes ports to exploits. I can understand that it perhaps simplifies the ways users with multiple Hik can see all there devices and potentially connect to them, but I do not see how that is more secure.

If I am failing to understand this hik-connect service please let me know what I am missing. It is clear to me that a VPN is more secure option than that this. Perhaps the verification code necessary to enable the stream is a added layer of security, but if they can gain access to your devices via a port exploit the stream is secondary in my opinion. Others may disagree. VPN has its own issues, chief among them complexity and performance, but it is certainly more secure than open ports.

Also - is there a consensus which app is simpler for end users? iVMS 4500 or Hik-Connect for mobile users?

Thanks in advance for any/all help.

Phil - thank you for your reply...

So this is becoming somewhat more clear, based on your reply in that thread.

"However, if you want to use a browser on a PC/laptop/Mac when away from your system, then you cannot unfortunately do so via Hik-Connect. You will need to configure port forwarding on your router, and if you have a dynamic IP address from your ISP, then you will also need to set up a DDNS service with a provider such as No-IP. "

So it does create an open TLS tunnel for port 8000 allowing the mobile iVMS-4500 to work without port-forwarding. This setup screen implies that it will tunnel 80 and 8090 as well....

It must need UPNP on at the router to make this work - then you could hit the NVR remotely using Hik-Connect. Do you agree?

web port.PNG

On the Hik-Connect VS iVMS 4500 for end users - there seems to be some debate. Could you quantify the reasons why you prefer Hi-Connect for end users - the top 2 or 3 things? Just trying to understand. I am looking specifically for ease of use to live view and playback, not necessarily about how easy it is to setup.

Thanks again for feedback.

It must need UPNP on at the router to make this work - then you could hit the NVR remotely using Hik-Connect. Do you agree?

Yes, I believe this is the case.

On the Hik-Connect VS iVMS 4500 for end users - there seems to be some debate. Could you quantify the reasons why you prefer Hi-Connect for end users - the top 2 or 3 things?

I have not looked at the iVMS-4500 App in a long time.
The Hik-Connect App was obviously made to work with the Hik-Connect portal.
When that was introduced, early feedback from experienced installers was that Hik-Connect had fewer features (hence I assume simpler).

Also, I don't know whether Hikvision are continuing to develop/improve the iVMS-4500 App - I just have not looked at the App update history.

Back