01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision DS-2CD2542FWD-IS systematic IR filter failure

nicobar

Hi to all,

I have about two dozens Hikvision cameras in various locations all installed by me for personal use: 2142, 2542, and 2642.
About a dozen of these cameras are mini-dome DS-2CD2542FWD-IS. All these cameras, and only these among the different Hikvision I own, seem to be affected by a systematic failure of their IR-cut filters, which after about 1 year of usage (outside of warranty of course!) remain eventually parked in the night or day mode, resulting in pink image during the day and black frames during the night. As I write, one of these cameras above my head started making a weak strange noise when it switches from night to day mode, I bet it's about to fail like all the others.
The cameras are all installed indoor vertical walls and powered by PoE via various Zyxel GS1900-8HP switches. I rule out power issues as the same cameras worked well for months, and other cameras (2142, 2642) work just fine attached to the same switches.

I opened the lens balls of the failed filters, shacked them, cycled the cameras between day and night, reset and rebooted them several times, but none of these actions fixed the IR-cut filters that seem to behave as they are unpowered: the filters move by hand (they are definitely not stuck or gunked up) but cameras cannot move them and I don't here the "click" sound at power up.
No firmware updates occurred before the filters stopped to work and all cameras, working and not working, have the latest firmware.
Cameras came from different batches and suppliers, all English firmware versions.

In one or two cameras (I have 5 that failed by now, like 30% of all the installed ones!!) I was able to temporarily resurrect the filter by shacking it by hand (it is not stuck, absolutely not) and reassemble the sphere that contains the lens but without tightening the screw that locks the sphere's orientation. Tightening the screw further would stop the filter motion. This makes me think of a weak or weakened IR motor that senses even the slightest deformation as the screw is tightened. But eventually also these cameras stopped working, even with the screw removed.

I am attaching a picture of the filter in question, that is installed with screws on the electronic base and glued to the lens, so it as the 12mm thread. It is marked as Hikvision.

Any Google, eBay or AliExpress search I did, did not return the correct part. Hikvision USA is of no help: they obviously "never heard of this problem" (because of course, I must be crazy!) and suggest to send the cameras to them for repair, which is unrealistic giving they are out of warranty, and with cost of uninstallation/reinstallation, the fact that some are in a remote location, shipping etc I may just buy new different models.

Anybody knows where I can buy these IR filters? Has anybody encountered this problem with this particular model of cameras?

Attachments

• Hikvision failed IR-cut filter.jpg
    Hikvision failed IR-cut filter.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 236
Sorry, no idea where you'll be able to get replacement parts.
It is something that we occasionally see.
I'd say we are seeing it less often nowadays.
I haven't spotted a pattern of any particular models suffering more than others.
We have seen the same with other brands too, including Hanwha and Axis.

Back