01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Door Entry Hot wiring door locks - How do you secure against this simple flaw?

Munu8744

Hello

I have a hypothetical question. Let’s say I connect a door station to a dry contact electric lock. A person can remove the screws and access the cables behind the door station and hot wire (touching the cables together) and close the lock circuit. Therefore unlock the door. How do you secure against this simple flaw? Using a secure module is one solution, but I don’t think many people use it. And yes i know if someone really wants it, no system is secure enough. I am just curious what people do.

Hello

I have a hypothetical question. Let’s say I connect a door station to a dry contact electric lock. A person can remove the screws and access the cables behind the door station and hot wire (touching the cables together) and close the lock circuit. Therefore unlock the door. How do you secure against this simple flaw? Using a secure module is one solution, but I don’t think many people use it. And yes i know if someone really wants it, no system is secure enough. I am just curious what people do.
There's not much you can do to avoid that. More secure access control systems would be designed where the only the reader was accessible externally; the lock output being switched from a separate control unit inside the protected area, with the wiring to the lock (or gate/barrier controller) being suitably concealed or protected. Intercom systems tend to provide a lock output at the outdoor unit for convenience. The security of the wiring/lock output is dictated by the screw securing the lid (hex, hex with pin, Torx, Torx with pin). Intercom or (stand alone access control keypad/readers) would not be considered particularly secure for that reason.

Back