01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

How Hik-Connect App use data?

isurupathirana

Does the hik-connect mobile app use internet to display when both the mobile & the DVR is in the same network? I have a limited internet connection. So I want to know whether is use the local network or data from my internet package.

Hi @isurupathirana

Yes, it will still use data/internet from your broadband.

Even though both devices (mobile phone and DVR) are on the same network, the data/video streams from your NVR are shared via Hikvision's Hik-Connect servers (not on your network), which allows you to access your cameras from a separate network without setting up port forwarding or DDNS.

These threads explain how this works in some more detail, but it would use the same amount as data as if your phone was on a separate network to the DVR:

Hi @isurupathirana

Even though both devices (mobile phone and DVR) are on the same network, the data/video streams from your NVR are shared via Hikvision's Hik-Connect servers (not on your network), which allows you to access your cameras from a separate network without setting up port forwarding or DDNS.

These threads explain how this works in some more detail, but it would use the same amount as data as if your phone was on a separate network to the DVR:

Is there any way to view it from mobile without using data from my broadband?

Hi @isurupathirana

@Kyle are you positive that's how it works when you are on the same LAN? If I am in the Hikconnect app and ask it to play video from an event, it starts instantaneously. As in, a tenth of a second. I find it hard to believe my mobile app can make a request to Hik's servers in China, which then responds and plays the video that quickly. When I am not on my LAN the video playback definitely takes much longer. I also think Dan's descriptions in the threads you link may say something different.

Last edited:
my impression is that, even I have tablet and camera in the same LAN / wifi, the streaming must first be sent to "China" and then sent back to me.
In my case, however, I have two different IP classes in my lan (camera have a 10.xxxxx then tablet have 192.xxxxxx that connect via a switch / wlan; this may be a reason why the tablet forces to ask for the signal from Internet?

If you add a device using "IP/Domain" and not "Hik-Connect Domain" then it will use direct communication to that IP/Domain for streaming. Therefore you could add a device using the local network IP address which would then only use the local network. The added device would not work outside of the local network of course. But you can pick the relevant device depending on if you are within your local network or not.

@Kyle are you positive that's how it works when you are on the same LAN? If I am in the Hikconnect app and ask it to play video from an event, it starts instantaneously. As in, a tenth of a second. I find it hard to believe my mobile app can make a request to Hik's servers in China, which then responds and plays the video that quickly. When I am not on my LAN the video playback definitely takes much longer. I also think Dan's descriptions in the threads you link may say something different.
This is my experience too. I don't think the data is streamed over the Internet if you are on the same LAN. When you are not on your LAN it goes directly from your LAN to your mobile device via whichever ISP you are using at the time. Hik-Connect is just another form of dynamic DNS update service that has a few bells and whistles that some may find useful.

Back