01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

How to know the IP address of a DVR?

chits712

Hi all,

I am a newbie to this dvr/nvr and CCTV. So hope the experts from this forum would be able to guide me through please.

I have a DVR H.264, unknown brand and model number. I wanted to access the CCTV cameras and I am unable to
access this DVR. I don't know the IP address or anything to access this DVR. May I know what is the best way to
go about to access my cctv cameras please?

hope to get some guidance here please.

Hi all,

I am a newbie to this dvr/nvr and CCTV. So hope the experts from this forum would be able to guide me through please.

I have a DVR H.264, unknown brand and model number. I wanted to access the CCTV cameras and I am unable to
access this DVR. I don't know the IP address or anything to access this DVR. May I know what is the best way to
go about to access my cctv cameras please?

hope to get some guidance here please.
if the DVR has DHCP enabled your router should show the IP address on the router device list. You may need the DVR MAC address to help identify the right IP address. The DVR MAC address could be on the serial number sticker.

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, there is no MAC address on the sticker. I don't know if the DHCP is enabled or not. Is there any other way to find out?

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, there is no MAC address on the sticker. I don't know if the DHCP is enabled or not. Is there any other way to find out?
Morning @chits712,

We’ll need to do some detective work….

Can you post pictures of your DVR front, back and underneath?

Do you know the DVR administrator user name and password, if not can you find out?

What is your router make and model number?

Is the DVR connected to your network by wifi or ethernet cable?

Are the cameras directly connected to the DVR or the local network?

Do you use a windows or Mac computer?

David

Morning @chits712,

We’ll need to do some detective work….

Can you post pictures of your DVR front, back and underneath?

Do you know the DVR administrator user name and password, if not can you find out?

What is your router make and model number?

Is the DVR connected to your network by wifi or ethernet cable?

Are the cameras directly connected to the DVR or the local network?

Do you use a windows or Mac computer?

David
Hi David,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I have attached the pictures of all the sides.
I have the administrator username and password. Router is from Virgin media and the model number is vmdg505. DVR is connected to the router using LAN cable. Yes, the cameras are directly connected to DVR and I am using windows. However, I don't have any PC connected to DVR.

Hope this would help.

Thanks for your help once again.

Attachments

• IMG_20240323_144758.jpg
    IMG_20240323_144758.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20240323_144725.jpg
    IMG_20240323_144725.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20240322_173430.jpg
    IMG_20240322_173430.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20240322_062401.jpg
    IMG_20240322_062401.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 36
Hi David,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I have attached the pictures of all the sides.
I have the administrator username and password. Router is from Virgin media and the model number is vmdg505. DVR is connected to the router using LAN cable. Yes, the cameras are directly connected to DVR and I am using windows. However, I don't have any PC connected to DVR.

Hope this would help.

Thanks for your help once again.
I don’t know the hub5 but hope the rough guide below helps.

You mention that your DVR is connected by a cable to the router, bear in mind that your router may not be connected to the DVR from a network sense.
If the DVR has an IP address given by the router it should show up on the router webpage “Connected Devices” menu. I’m hoping it will be obviously named DVR or maybe the model number from one of your images. If you click on that device you should get the IP address.

From your computer open the web browser and type in 192.168.0.1 in the address bar and press enter. Type in the router password (see label on router). You should see the home page with a menu list on the left hand side. Click “Connected Devices” you should then see a list of devices that your router has allowed a connection to. As I said above check the names of the connected devices.

Routers can also assign a generic name to older Network Devices making it hard to identify. Take a screenshot of all the connected devices, logout from the router. Switch the DVR off and wait 5 minutes then login to the router and check the connected devices to see if one has gone, refer to the screenshot. If one device has gone it may be the DVR, double check by switching the DVR on again. Wait 5 minutes, refresh the connected devices list to see if the device has come back.

David

I don’t know the hub5 but hope the rough guide below helps.

You mention that your DVR is connected by a cable to the router, bear in mind that your router may not be connected to the DVR from a network sense.
If the DVR has an IP address given by the router it should show up on the router webpage “Connected Devices” menu. I’m hoping it will be obviously named DVR or maybe the model number from one of your images. If you click on that device you should get the IP address.

From your computer open the web browser and type in 192.168.0.1 in the address bar and press enter. Type in the router password (see label on router). You should see the home page with a menu list on the left hand side. Click “Connected Devices” you should then see a list of devices that your router has allowed a connection to. As I said above check the names of the connected devices.

Routers can also assign a generic name to older Network Devices making it hard to identify. Take a screenshot of all the connected devices, logout from the router. Switch the DVR off and wait 5 minutes then login to the router and check the connected devices to see if one has gone, refer to the screenshot. If one device has gone it may be the DVR, double check by switching the DVR on again. Wait 5 minutes, refresh the connected devices list to see if the device has come back.

David
Hi David,
Thanks a lot for the guidance. I did manage to find the IP of the DVR. However, when I type in the IP address in the browser, it says site can't be reached. I have connected the LAN cable from DVR directly to my laptop. Am I doing anything wrong here? Really sorry to trouble you.

Pat

Hi David,
Thanks a lot for the guidance. I did manage to find the IP of the DVR. However, when I type in the IP address in the browser, it says site can't be reached. I have connected the LAN cable from DVR directly to my laptop. Am I doing anything wrong here? Really sorry to trouble you.

Pat
Hi Pat,

I enjoy doing this, keeps my mind active.

Your router is the central communication point for all your devices. Connect the DVR LAN cable to the router. Using the browser, try to login to the DVR.

Let me know the IP address of the DVR, there’s a slight chance it could change so bear that in mind.

What version of windows are you using?

David

Hi Pat,

I enjoy doing this, keeps my mind active.

Your router is the central communication point for all your devices. Connect the DVR LAN cable to the router. Using the browser, try to login to the DVR.

Let me know the IP address of the DVR, there’s a slight chance it could change so bear that in mind.

What version of windows are you using?

David
Hi David,

Thanks for guiding through. I tried to follow your instructions. However, I am unable to get into DVR page when I key in the IP address of the DVR. I am using windows 10 pro.

I am unable to get into DVR page when I key in the IP address of the DVR.
Morning Pat,
There are quite a few scenarios as to what the problems may be. I really need to know the IP addresses that you used to access your router and DVR. Don't worry you are not posting anything that'll compromise your network security. Your LAN IP addresses will probably start with 192.168.nnn.nnn.

The alternative is to buy or borrow a monitor that has a VGA input along with a VGA cable and mouse. Then you'll be able to access the DVR directly bypassing your network. I'll help you choose a suitable monitor, give me a rough cost.

David

Back