01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

IR wavelength used by Dahua cameras?

JeffH

I'm looking to replace some cameras on an existing installation where IR illuminators have already been installed. Can anyone confirm the IR wavelength on Dahua cameras - I can't seem to find that specified anywhere. Thanks.

Typically, it'd be 730nm.
That is the lowest IR wavelength commonly used, and therefore the easiest for the camera to 'see'.
It is also the most visible e.g. the human eye can see the light source glowing.
Once you get above 900nm then you will not see the source, so they are used in covert applications. But also the camera sensor needs to be more IR sensitive to work with that high wavelength.

But, I can't say for sure what Dahua use in which camera.
Vendors don't seem to publish this info any more.

We do not know Dahua's products very well.
A reseller that sells their current range may be able to find out for you.
NB - It would be best to specify the camera model that you need to check, as it may vary across the range.

Factoid - railways have traditionally used high wavelength / covert IR to ensure that CCTV IR lamps are not accidentally seen as red lights.

Thanks, Phil. Interesting, I thought they would generally be 850nm with a few exceptions at 940nm for the more covert cameras.

I wonder why vendors are not publishing this? For me it's quite important as I don't want to find that the existing illuminators need to be replaced after finding the night vision becomes worse than they have on the existing, old system :eek:

If I can find out from a reseller, I'll post here.

Thanks, Phil. Interesting, I thought they would generally be 850nm with a few exceptions at 940nm for the more covert cameras.

I wonder why vendors are not publishing this? For me it's quite important as I don't want to find that the existing illuminators need to be replaced after finding the night vision becomes worse than they have on the existing, old system :eek:

If I can find out from a reseller, I'll post here.
Hi Jeff, Have you managed to find this info? I'm struggling with the same questions.

Hi Jeff, Have you managed to find this info? I'm struggling with the same questions.
Not exactly. I ended up buying an 850nm illuminator from Amazon and trying it out. That seemed to work and the system I've just installed for the client, utilising the existing illuminators, works well. My *guess* therefore is that it's 850nm, but worth doing a test to confirm. I think the Amazon illuminator was £30.

Not exactly. I ended up buying an 850nm illuminator from Amazon and trying it out. That seemed to work and the system I've just installed for the client, utilising the existing illuminators, works well. My *guess* therefore is that it's 850nm, but worth doing a test to confirm. I think the Amazon illuminator was £30.
Thanks for the answer!

Back