01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Lag in cameras when viewing from home

CazzaK91

Hello, our NVR and cameras are at our work premises and the broadband is poor due to location. When viewing at home there is a slight time lag. I am looking for a potential solution to this but I am not a techie :) We were thinking of a 5G dongle although my son says this won't work as the cameras have LAN cables that will need plugged in. I am lost! Any suggestions would really be appreciated :)

Hi @CazzaK91

When you say a time lag, is it just that the time shown on the camera feeds is behind the actual time? Or, does the video itself seem to be slow / freezing?

Hi Kyle, thanks for getting back to me. The video itself is freezing slightly, so causing a bit of stopping and starting

Thanks for clarifying. Sorry, another question - how are you viewing the cameras when you see the freezing? In Hik-Connect, on a PC, or on a monitor connected to the NVR (or all of these)?

Thanks for clarifying. Sorry, another question - how are you viewing the cameras when you see the freezing? In Hik-Connect, on a PC, or on a monitor connected to the NVR (or all of these)?
Hi Kyle, we are viewing the videos on a PC and TV at our premises and there is no lagging there. The lagging happens when viewing devices at home a few miles away on smart phones and an ipad. I have since read though that it could be the upload speed so if that's the case I'm wondering what I could try to improve that? A friend mentioned PTP or a wifi extender but I'm clueless! I also read that we have to expect some lagging compared to real time :)

You're right, it could well be that your uplink speed is not enough.

How are your NVR and cameras connected to the main router? If your NVR is connected to your router via an ethernet cable then a PTP / Wi-Fi extender won't improve things for you.

Your ISP will be able to let you know if your router's uplink can be increased - if the router itself is old, then a newer model can sometimes help with this. But as you say, it is likely your location is limiting the broadband speed more than anything.

What does this speed test say that your upload speed is? - Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test

Dropping the frame rate (to around 15fps)and using H.265 / H.265+ compression will reduce the bandwidth used, so this should help - you can always try dropping the resolution too if you can live with the video quality.

You should also make sure that the NVR firmware is up to date - if you let me know the model number I can link you to the newest version to install.

Thank you Kyle. I will have a look when I am back at the premises and try your suggestions :)

Back