01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Looking answers for...

JT_Singh

Helpful lot - two questions which are bugging me for a while.

Question1:

Currently I have two 4 MP IP cameras with NV capabilities. I also have PIR floodlights installed - one next to it and the other way above the camera. During the night, when the PIR sensor activates the floodlight, the camera switches from NV to normal mode because of the presence of the external light. However this transition last around 10-15 seconds and during which one can't see anything due to the flash of the light. This of course doesn't help if someone is walking through the detection area as by the time the camera regain its senses, it's too late.

Is this expected / normal behaviour? Is there any solution to fix this? One option is to get rid of the external floodlights, but external lights do help with a better view of the camera in the night, as oppose to a NV view. And keeping the floodlights permanently ON isn't viable too!

Question 2:

Most of my cameras are at vantage points which aren't too easily accessible. And repeatedly I have cobwebs forming on them which again distort the view and at times completely blinds it - rendering it useless for any security.

I read somewhere that this is because insects - food for spiders - are attracted to the IR light in the camera. So spiders build a web around it to enjoy the feast. Is this true?! If yes, what's the best possible solution?

BTW, do have any IP cameras which have in built microwave sensor instead of IR sensors?

Hi @JT_Singh

Can you confirm the brand/model of cameras you have please?

Ok, It is not a brand we are aware of but in most cases, IP cameras have some image controls which should features settings to adjust the IR (infrared) switch. By default this IR cut filter is set to automatic and as soon as it is dark or light enough the filter either enables or disables, but usually, there are settings to change this to a manual or scheduled-switch so that you can set fixed times when the camera should be operating in day or night mode, that way if the light comes on the IR will not be turned off.

But as I said, we have never dealt with this particular brand so I do not know what setting it does or does not have.

In regards to the other question, there are not any IP cameras that use microwaves instead of IR but the latest generation of cameras from Hikvision do have improved IR. The most popular option being the 2345 4MP and 2385G1 8MP/4K turret cameras which have separated IR LEDs behind separate windows to the lens, this not only reduces IR reflection & glare which is common with the more traditional dome camera but also stops bugs and spiders from sitting directly in front of the lens.

Also, another option from Hikvision would be the latest ColorVu models which have improved hardware to see in colour at night, if you already have a visible light in your scene (which it sounds like you do) the ColorVu cameras may be the perfect option as the cameras larger aperture and bigger sensor allows it to produce colour images in almost complete darkness. The ColorVu cameras do have visible white LED floodlight built-in to provide more light to the scene but if you already have floodlight/street lights in the scene you do not have to use the built-in light.

You can see some examples from a ColorVu camera in this other forum thread

We don't currently have a thread comparing the performance but this YouTube video from a company we work with compares Powered by Darkfighter (EasyIP 3.0 cameras), True Darkfighter (7-series cameras), and ColorVu cameras with them all forced into day mode (not using IR) in dark scenes.

But it does really depend on the area you are covering because if the area is quite large with little to no visible light an IR camera will always give you a better image at night, but if it is a smaller area and there is visible light covering the scene a ColorVu camera can be a good option.

BTW - does Hikvision have an IP camera which has a mic/speaker to have a two way audio? I saw this
but is there any other camera in the market from Hikvision?

Back