01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Lost Sub-Stream on 2 cameras - any advice?

codlord

Gives a lot of help
Trusted Member
I manage a site with loads of cameras. Today I lost the sub-stream on two at the same time:
DS-2CD2385G1-I on 5.6.5 200316
and
DS-2CD2385FWD-I on 5.6.3 190923

I have previously occasionally had issues with cameras losing either the sub-stream or the main stream (where one of the streams works but the other doesn't) but usually a reboot of the camera sorts the issue. But with these two I can't seem to get a sub-stream back. I have tried rebooting the cameras multiple times, rebooting the NVR as well as adjusting sub-stream via the NVR but when I go to the sub-stream settings on the NVR for these 2 cameras it gives an error saying the camera does not support a sub-stream.

Anyone else had similar issues? Can anyone suggest anything else to try?

If one camera had this issue I would maybe put it down to a camera fault but we have previously had no camera faults ever so this would be 2 faults with 2 different model cameras at exactly the same time. So I find it unlikely (although of course not impossible) that this is hardware.

Thanks

Last edited:
Well these sub-streams came back by themselves after a few hours without me doing anything, except for one camera which came back but lost it's 4k resolution settings until I rebooted it! These cameras do seem to do their own thing from time to time...

I manage a site with loads of cameras. Today I lost the sub-stream on two at the same time:
DS-2CD2385G1-I on 5.6.5 200316
and
DS-2CD2385FWD-I on 5.6.3 190923

I have previously occasionally had issues with cameras losing either the sub-stream or the main stream (where one of the streams works but the other doesn't) but usually a reboot of the camera sorts the issue. But with these two I can't seem to get a sub-stream back. I have tried rebooting the cameras multiple times, rebooting the NVR as well as adjusting sub-stream via the NVR but when I go to the sub-stream settings on the NVR for these 2 cameras it gives an error saying the camera does not support a sub-stream.

Anyone else had similar issues? Can anyone suggest anything else to try?

If one camera had this issue I would maybe put it down to a camera fault but we have previously had no camera faults ever so this would be 2 faults with 2 different model cameras at exactly the same time. So I find it unlikely (although of course not impossible) that this is hardware.

Thanks
I’ve just noticed this issue.

I only set up my NVR last night and I spend too long trying to get an RSTP stream to work for the Sub and third streams with no success. I can now see stream 1.

via the NVR camera management I am seeing this error when selecting sub stream however if I log into the camera I can access the settings again although there is no output for this stream on the NVR.

I’ve taken the camera off the NVR to test directly on my local network and all streams are available

I have found some cameras with a missing stream are fixed with a reboot, some are not fixed with a reboot, but fix themselves after a few hours, and one recently was missing a stream for about 5 days, then the stream came back without me doing anything. No problems before or since, go figure...:rolleyes:

I have done some further testing with camera on the local network and the 3 streams (main/sub/third) all run flawlessly. when plugged into the NVR however I have managed to get it to output the sub stream once over RTSP however I cannot access the 3rd stream, which is more favourable as it outputs at 1280*720.

I have also noticed that if set on the camera directly the codec can be set independently i.e main stream on h264 and sub stream on h265 however these settings seem to be overridden by the NVR and the sub stream when it is available reverts to that of the main stream. Along with this the NVR is seeming to overwrite the resolution values set on the camera.

From my observations, there seems to be no correlation on the NVR to the resolutions available from the camera. I could understand this if the equipment were from different manufacturers however this is not the case.

I am also having issues with the GUI when directly connected to my monitor via HDMI, it seems that when I switch back to view the GUI, I can see the split view however I have no mouse input and therefore cannot access the menus, I have tried disconnecting the mouse and reinserting along with using the other USB port. The only thing that seems to resolve this is rebooting.

Any input to get access to the third stream or the mouse issue would be grateful.

Back