01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Moths, flying insects... getting out of hand

Ultra4

Hi

Sorry to make a seperate thread but think its best to keep things split.

As title, I'm noticing a large number of flying insects/moths recently and they're not setting off the camera often (intrusion timings etc working well there) but I've noticed that spider webs are becoming more apparent. I've used SpiderX on the camera and around it... but they seem to be placing their web infront of the camera instead of on it...

Each night I am clearing the web but wondering what else I could do? I've searched some spider pesticide to help in addition to the SpiderX.

I can't turn the lights off because the cameras ghost and the light around the area isn't enough to highlight the drive sufficiently so the lights on the camera need to be left on.

The only other thing I can think of is a floodlight - however there is an issue because if its on a sensor then only if it detects movement will it come on and be useful for the cameras.... and I'm not too sure about having a floodlight on constantly? It'd look like a football pitch???

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Hi @Ultra4

There's no perfect solution for spider webs, unfortunately, the heat from the IR on the cameras can be a magnet for them in sheltered areas :(

SpiderEx is normally the first thing we suggest, you could also try greasing the areas they're making their webs on with WD40.

It may just be an old wives' tale, but you could even try putting a conker/chestnut near the camera, as these are supposed to repel spiders.

Thanks for the reply. The cameras I use don't have IR but have the light which I think is attracting insects and therefore spiders which is frustrating.

I've tried SpiderEx and a Spider Insecticide and both haven't quite worked which is frustrating.

Perhaps I'll need to turn the light off but i'll need to think of how I can light the driveway. Any ideas/suggestions welcome!

The cameras I use don't have IR but have the light which I think is attracting insects and therefore spiders which is frustrating.
So I take it they're ColorVu cameras with white LED?

Perhaps I'll need to turn the light off but i'll need to think of how I can light the driveway. Any ideas/suggestions welcome!
It's surprising how little light the ColorVu cameras need to allow the integral white LED to be disabled. You certainly don't need a floodlight; I have a 6 watt warm white LED light controlled by a photocell located next to my side door. That's enough for me to get good colour images. You can see the light in the attached image in the top right corner (there's a bit of rain on the lens). That camera is a DS-2CD2387G2-IU 8mp turret at 1/100 second shutter, Day mode, LED off.

DS-2CD2387G2-IU at 100th sec exposure.jpeg

Back