01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

NAS 1Gb Invalid Files

Si B

Hi Folks,

Long time lurker, first time poster here. I have used this forum to help get my Hikvision setup running and have found it invaluable so thank you very much for the advice/info.

I have a problem that I cannot fathom and hope someone might be able to help.

My NVR is DS-7608NI K2 with internal redundant HDD's

I use 6 IP cams a combination of DS-2CD2346G2-IU and DS-2CD2347G2-LU

I currently have the NVR recording permanently and the SD cards in side the cameras set to record events only, this is all working fine. Recordings are in H265+

I am trying to set up an old QNAP NAS I had spare that will record events to it from all 6 cameras as well.
The NAS is TS112 with a 2TB drive, although if I can get this working I will increase the size, it is just for testing at the moment.

I tried initially to make 6 shared folders ( CAM1 ,CAM2 etc). Using each Camers GUI I found the shared and formatted the folders and set it to trigger event storage.

The problem was this: Each camera makes a lot of dated .mp4 files that are roughly 1gb each. These video files are unable to be played by VLC or by Hikvisions VS Player (the latter saying invalid file/invalid format) this is when either playing directly from the NAS or when copying onto a stick and playing in a PC.

Figuring this may be a NAS/Shared issue with the cameras, or possibly because I was trying to record events in two places (SD card and NAS) I decided to reformat the NAS and set up a different way.

The second method I have tried is to reformat the NAS, set up one shared folder and use the NVR to find it as a network HDD, and set it up as a second record location using the NVR Camera Group options. The idea was to have it recording permanently to the NAS as well as the internal NVR drives and the SD cards for events only.

All went well with the setup, the NVR finds the NAS, recording groups are fine. BUT it does exactly the same thing, the NAS gets filled with these 1gb video files until it is full then starts overwriting again?

So the conclusion I am slowly reaching is that it is something to do with the NAS I am using but I cannot figure it out.

Sorry for the long post and I hope I haven't missed anything, but could the spec of the NAS cause an issue (it is quite an old one I had lying around and not a great spec)

Any thoughts from the collective wisdom?

Are the subsequent responses regarding one user per camera relevant?

The file size can probably be edited / reduced in settings - I'll nudge @Dan & @Kyle
Maybe if the files are smaller you'll have more success with VS Player ...

You should be able to reduce the size of those files by logging into each camera and reducing the packet time in the advanced storage settings (Configuration>Storage>Advanced Settings).

@Dan explains it nicely with screenshots here:

I think this is set to 50 minutes by default, which results in the ~1GB files - hopefully setting a shorter time will resolve things :)

Hi and thank you for the
You should be able to reduce the size of those files by logging into each camera and reducing the packet time in the advanced storage settings (Configuration>Storage>Advanced Settings).

@Dan explains it nicely with screenshots here:

I think this is set to 50 minutes by default, which results in the ~1GB files - hopefully setting a shorter time will resolve things :)
Hi Kyle and thank you for the reply, I have found the packet size in the NVR GUI and it was blank. So I have set it to 20 minutes, let's see what happens in the next few days..

Incidentally I couldn't see that option within each camera GUI, only a quota under storage management?

I will format the Nas and leave it going for a few days, fingers crossed!

Hi folks,

Back for an update and sadly it is the same.

I changed the settings as above and whilst the NAS is not full, all of the MP4 files are 1gb and showing as invalid in VS Player?

So I fear I may not have found the write option for packet size or my software is different to the one linked above?

Or there is something amiss with my NAS, is it possible that the spec of this QNap is causing a problem? I've. Bottlenecking it somehow?

Any more thoughts greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Back