01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Need help with Hikvision CCTV and router

s0ul1984

Hi and thanks for looking at my thread.

I need some help regarding my cameras. They're from Hikvision. I have the main modem that was given to me by the internet provider. It has 4 slots (RJ45) which can be used to connect anything. Now I have bought an Asus router to extend the wifi signal. I now want to place the camera on the Auss router. My PC is connected to the modem and when I try to go into camera settings via SADP, it will not show my cameras at all. I think I am not able to accept cameras on the router because they have different IP address. When I put the camera to the modem I can access them. Any way I can set them up to be accessible via modem through the Asus router?

Thanks a lot.

Hi @s0ul1984

This sounds like a networking issue, there are a few things to check:

1) Have you modified the ASUS router to act as a Wireless Access Point or Wireless Bridge?
2) Are the cameras connected to the router via a PoE switch/multiple PoE injectors?
3) Is the PC running SADP hard-wired to the original Modem or is that PC/Laptop connected via WiFi?

Hi @s0ul1984

This sounds like a networking issue, there are a few things to check:

1) Have you modified the ASUS router to act as a Wireless Access Point or Wireless Bridge?
2) Are the cameras connected to the router via a PoE switch/multiple PoE injectors?
3) Is the PC running SADP hard-wired to the original Modem or is that PC/Laptop connected via WiFi?
Hey Dan, Thank you for the super fast reply.

Honestly all I did with the Asus router was connect it to the modem and internet was there. So right away from the box. Just changed wifi password and login password. Yes, the cameras are connected to the Asus router via the RJ45 cables. The PC is connected the modem.

I have a feeling I somehow have to tell my PC to go through the modem to Asus router and detect the cameras there but how to do that? That's where I am stuck. Do I have to add the IP address of the Asus router to the PC so that I can go to cameras like that or how? It's totally new to me. When cameras are connected to the modem downstairs they are detected but not to the Asus router. I have to connect my PC to the Asus router in order to see them.

Ohh and I forgot. I am able to see the cameras that are connected to Asus router via the iphone app because when I added them, I added them via Serial number not which one is online.

Sorry, it's not clear what you have configured here.
A modem would normally only have one network socket, to which you would connect a router?

Ohh and I forgot. I am able to see the cameras that are connected to Asus router via the iphone app because when I added them, I added them via Serial number not which one is online.
It sounds as though you have 2 IP subnets, one created by the modem and the other by the Asus router. What are the make and model numbers of the modem and Asus router?

Sorry, it's not clear what you have configured here.
A modem would normally only have one network socket, to which you would connect a router?
No, the one I have has 4 RJ45. I live in UK and here we have virgin media. I have the Hub 3 from virgin media.

It sounds as though you have 2 IP subnets, one created by the modem and the other by the Asus router. What are the make and model numbers of the modem and Asus router?
The main modem that was provided from Virgin media is Hub 3.

This is the model number for the Asus router

ASUS RT-AX82U 5400 Dual Band​

That is a modem and router combined in one box (the Virgin hub 3).
If you want to use the Virgin modem/router as a modem only, you need to login as a super user and select 'modem only'.
Then the other ports are disabled.

That is a modem and router combined in one box (the Virgin hub 3).
If you want to use the Virgin modem/router as a modem only, you need to login as a super user and select 'modem only'.
Then the other ports are disabled.
But then I am not able to have My TV or PS4 online that are connected to the Virgin Media hub 3. So there is no way to have it working as it is? Like I said, I can see the cameras via the iphone hik-connect but not with the PC that is connected to virgin media hub 3. So the app can go through Virgin media hub 3 to Asus and can allow me to watch my cameras but I can't watch my cameras on my pc that is on virgin media hub 3? Hmm I feel like there must be a easy way to have my pc see the cameras via Sadp. Maybe in cameras I have to change ips or something. God, I'm not the perfect network guy at all.

If you are using the Asus router as a router, then you should put the Virgin hub into modem only mode and move all your connected devices to the network ports on the Asus router.
You don't want two routers on your network.
Each will try to manage the network and connected devices e.g. issue IP addresses to the devices and route traffic to them.
You end-up with the confusion and complexities of different network ranges, addresses, subnets, etc.

If you are using the Asus router as a router, then you should put the Virgin hub into modem only mode and move all your connected devices to the network ports on the Asus router.
You don't want two routers on your network.
Each will try to manage the network and connected devices e.g. issue IP addresses to the devices and route traffic to them.
You end-up with the confusion and complexities of different network ranges, addresses, subnets, etc.
It's very hard to be honest. I have a house which has 3 floors. I also have many devices. So to have less wifi issues, I connected TV, PC and PS4 to the Virgin media and one slot is for the cable that goes to asus and in asus I have 2 laptops and two cameras.

I did believe it would work just fine but I guess it wont.

Are the laptops and cameras wired to the Asus router?

Is the Asus router adjacent to the Virgin hub?

Your Asus is a good modern router - WiFi 6 etc.
I suspect you should use it, as your main router - put the Virgin hub into modem mode.

I think you are probably concerned that you do not then have enough physical sockets to plug things into.
You just need to add a multi-port switch.
These are cost-effective.
e.g. this 8-port unit for £15

This is commonly done.
I have the same configuration at my home:
A Virgin hub in modem only mode.
An after-market router of my preference, to manage our network.
A 24-port POE Gigabit switch wired to network sockets throughout the house.

I suspect you should use it, as your main router - put the Virgin hub into modem mode.

I think you are probably concerned that you do not then have enough physical sockets to plug things into.

This is commonly done.
I was going to suggest the same, then they'd be able to take advantage of the Asus wifi mesh setup.

This is commonly done.
Thank you for the fast reply. I was a bit busy and could not get to forum earlier.

Yes, the Asus Modem is really good. I think I have to do this what you just said since it's not possible to have it working like I thought it could work. I was just confused why the app on the phone could go from Virgin to Asus and then see the cameras while desktop connected to Virgin was not seeing cameras connected to Asus.

Thanks a lot for the fast reply.

Thank you for the fast reply. I was a bit busy and could not get to forum earlier.

Yes, the Asus Modem is really good. I think I have to do this what you just said since it's not possible to have it working like I thought it could work. I was just confused why the app on the phone could go from Virgin to Asus and then see the cameras while desktop connected to Virgin was not seeing cameras connected to Asus.

Thanks a lot for the fast reply.
My router is downstairs and the main PoE switch for the cameras is in the loft. I use TP Link power line adapters to connect the NVR WAN / LAN port to the main router. I Also have a mesh wifi access point (wifi5 802.11ac) up stairs that provides ethernet rj45 and wifi connectivity.

I was just confused why the app on the phone could go from Virgin to Asus and then see the cameras while desktop connected to Virgin was not seeing cameras connected to Asus.
The app on your phone is probably seeing the cameras via the HikConnect servers on the internet and sees the cameras on the Asus and virgin wifi networks. When the desktop is connected to the virgin it is on a different IP network and cannot see the cameras on the Asus.

Put your Virgin hub into Modem mode (see you tube video) and make sure you connect the Asus WAN RJ45 ethernet port to the virgin hub3 ethernet port 1.

Back